Nike Skateboard Shoe

Shorts, Shirts and Shoes

Moderator: Ron Barbagallo

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Nike Skateboard Shoe

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:54 pm

Did y'all know Nike made a "Skateboard shoe?" It was news to me. Our session in Suwanee got rained out yesterday, so on the way home from Georgia I had time to stop at the Nike Factory Store in Commerce. There was a rack of these available marked down from $70 to $30. The box says "skateboard shoe." That was my first clue:

They have leather/nylon uppers and rubber soles with a pretty good tread. I brought my Blackbird into the store to stand on and check for grip and it was rock solid.

How well they do on the street I won't know til it quits raining here. I still don't like the idea of spending A LOT of money for a shoe that's only going to go down the drain after a few foot breaks, but for $30 I'll spring for it and see how they do. Oh, and recently I went ALL OVER the Nike website looking for something to skate in and there was nothing about this from corporate. If you don't want a $120 basketball or cross training shoe, then don't bother asking Nike.

What I really want to know is if these new shoes do as well as my $19 Cortez did for 20 years.

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:34 pm

but there's no velcro!?

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:53 pm

It's not so surprinsing to see Nike trying to conquire a market where you can sell shoes to such expensive prices
It's no new. Don't you see the "DON'T DO IT" campaign by Consolidated skateboards??

Here in Europe they do now quite a lot of advertising and sponsorships. A few years ago, nobody wanted nike shoes but it seems that money and marketing campaigns can change everything.

You're lucky to have found some cheap shoes, even the simplest model are usually expensive here.
[ www.pavel-skates.com ] [ www.riderz.net ]
"Dont care what the World say - I and I could a never go astray -Well wee gona have Things our Way" - Robert Nesta Marley

Chris Barrett
Skurfskater
Skurfskater

Post by Chris Barrett » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:55 pm

someone once told me they were pressured by the core skate companies not to produce a skate shoe, seems like the core companies would have to be pretty influential to keep nike out of the market...

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:49 pm

the DON'T DO IT campaign:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stor ... tml?page=3
http://www.saigon.com/~nike/

but most of skateboard shoes company probably produce their shoes in the same kind of manufactures where work 12 years old children, in South East Asia or wherever you can find the poorest people ready to work for nothing.
"Dont care what the World say - I and I could a never go astray -Well wee gona have Things our Way" - Robert Nesta Marley

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:03 pm

Not this again...

A few guesses where "skateboarding shoe companies" get their shoes made.

Chris Barrett
Skurfskater
Skurfskater

Post by Chris Barrett » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:19 pm

Jack Smith wrote:Not this again...

but isn't there a difference between the people manufacturing and marketing? That isn't rhetorical, I'm actually asking. Or I guess what I'm really asking is, even if their manufactured by the same people, does that mean they are as effective or as well designed a shoe?
Last edited by Chris Barrett on Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:25 pm

Jack Smith wrote:Not this again...

Probably in the same place tahn Nike , it's exactly what I've said Jack...
do you have precisions?

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

2nd stab at it!

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:34 pm

Did you know that when they introduced their first run at skate shoes in the mid 90's the industry was powerful enough to have them back down?

Skateboarding is now more commercially accepted by many and yheir back at it. They have also been able to sign some names to their sk8 footwear. They were turned down hard by some of the Top guys 10 years ago.

The more things change the more they stay the same, HUH!
Many Happy Pumps!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Re: 2nd stab at it!

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:41 pm

Claude Regnier wrote:They have also been able to sign some names to their sk8 footwear.
Hey, they got me Sunday.

My agent was surprised, but you know skaters: born to be unpredictable.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Yes Sir!

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:57 pm

It's funny but I heard they signed you too!

If there are no decent Hightops available from sk8 companies I'll be going back to Nike as well. If only they made a gum sole.
Many Happy Pumps!

Guillaume Saint-Criq

Post by Guillaume Saint-Criq » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:31 pm

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:37 pm

The Blazer SB looks pretty similar to the suede Nike hi-tops I used to skate with from '75 to '79. I then switched to Vans Hi-tops, and still use them. But my heels suffer for it... :D