[2004] Paris Slalom World Cup, May 29-31

European Races & Results (for Major, Main and Prime level races)

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Robert Thiele

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Mon May 24, 2004 2:27 pm

Buena Suerte Richy, Da Le Gas Hermano. And Good luck to the rest of my American + Canandian slalom skating brothers. Heel, Toe, Heel, Toe. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

David Rudnianski
LTC
LTC

Post by David Rudnianski » Mon May 24, 2004 9:46 pm

Mike Cividino wrote:Is there anyone travelling to London after Paris that wants to travel together? I don't know France at all and a little help would be great.

YES!

Hamid, (one of the best french racer), Fred and maybe some other skaters wants to do it...

But where can we find more thing about this english race?
French Pirates are in the place...
www.riderz.net
http://pirateslalom.online.fr/
Politic Longboard Activist...

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Tue May 25, 2004 12:24 am

Ha ha! What did I tell you Mr Stride.

David, have a look at www.ukssa.net for more info. They will welcome you with open arms. Unless, of course, they feel so ashamed about saying that no French racers wont come to the UK. Go there and prove them wrong.

David Rudnianski
LTC
LTC

Post by David Rudnianski » Tue May 25, 2004 6:43 pm

thank you.....the trip is now on preparation....
www.riderz.net

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Media: Eurosport

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed May 26, 2004 9:08 am

Here's the real jackpot for the media coverage for the Paris Slalom World Cup 2004:

Eurosport just announced a staff of 7 people to cover the event!!

If you haven't made up your mind yet or haven't made those last travel arrangements: get sorted now!

/Jani

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Wed May 26, 2004 12:17 pm

Thank you Hans. So French racers travelling to England get less points than if we travel to points races in France. The difference is we HAVE to travel to get a fair amount of points. You have the choice. You just don't get it do you?

David Rudnianski
LTC
LTC

Post by David Rudnianski » Wed May 26, 2004 2:27 pm

we don't race foir points....only for fun.....

Jani, will Eurosport stay all the day, or only for the pro contest?
www.riderz.net

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Point to make

Post by Michael Stride » Wed May 26, 2004 4:07 pm

Thats right David.....you have the CHOICE! We dont.

I have yet to see any valid reason why not one UK race is given Prime status.

I'm sure you will have fun racing in the UK. Fact is we have to go to French races for points, on courses that aren't fun.

Martin Siegrist
Airflow-Skateboards
Airflow-Skateboards

Post by Martin Siegrist » Wed May 26, 2004 4:17 pm

So why do you come to France if you don't like the courses?

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Courses

Post by Michael Stride » Wed May 26, 2004 4:33 pm

I didnt go to Antibes and by all accounts I would not have liked the courses.
But that doesnt matter. Paris is fun for the location. The GS last year was pretty awful though. You asked, I answer!

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed May 26, 2004 10:49 pm

David Rudnianski wrote:Jani, will Eurosport stay all the day, or only for the pro contest?
David,

I don't know exactly when they'll be present. Soizic may know if you meet her (maybe Thursday evening?).

/Jani

Guillaume Olivieri

Post by Guillaume Olivieri » Thu May 27, 2004 9:40 am

Michael,

that's what you get for eating baked beans n' corned beef all day long, you got to do some lousy races in France to be forgiven !!

cheers

Mike Cividino

elbow pads

Post by Mike Cividino » Thu May 27, 2004 9:51 pm

CAn anyone with extra pads bring some elbows for me..I only really need 1, im in italyand lost one somehow....anyhelp would be great, maybe an am who isnt using them...any help would be great,,,see ya all saturday.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Fri May 28, 2004 12:51 am

Mike,

I should be able to bring you some. I'm not racing. I'll concentrate on the organization this time around.

I went to Trocadero this evening and saw Richy & Maria C, Claude, Vlad, Corky, Gesmer, as well as locals like Jean-Paul Alavoine, David Rudnianski, Vinzzz, Etienne and many more. Apparently Keith Hollien is here too, although he had left at the time I got there. Tomorrow, Friday we'll start installing the barrieres, the tents, the stage (!) with start ramps built by Disney Village and we have a team of volonteers staying at the race site over night.

By the way Disney Village is helping us out because they're holding an X Games show the week after the race, so they figure the audience here might as well be interested in their X Games show out at Disney Village, June 5-6.

See you soon!

/Jani

Mike Cividino

Post by Mike Cividino » Fri May 28, 2004 6:57 am

Jani, you are a saint, thank you for all of the help, see ya tomorrow.

David Rudnianski
LTC
LTC

Post by David Rudnianski » Fri May 28, 2004 12:22 pm

i'll go in trocadero helping in 10 minutes....

by the way, tomoraow night, we organise an after-contest-"party" in a pub near trocadero...

see you there....
www.riderz.net

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Civ's Pads

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri May 28, 2004 12:47 pm

Hi Mike!

We have MB's set of pads for you as well. She will be working not racing just like Jani.

We've paid up the hotel room and hava a price quote for you for Monday night if there is no other alternative but we will be working on that before you arrive as well.

I'm sure someone will have some space for you though.
Many Happy Pumps!

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Fri May 28, 2004 2:19 pm

Let's say Paris is the capital of slalom for 3 days
Welcome to all of you

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Good Luck

Post by Jack Smith » Fri May 28, 2004 3:09 pm

Wishing all of you a great and safe race!

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Sat May 29, 2004 12:41 am

The Trocadero is ready! ;)

Let's race!

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

RACING @ THE EIFLE TOWER !

Post by Rene Carrasco » Sat May 29, 2004 8:47 am

EVERYBODY HAVE A GREAT TIME RACING @ THE EIFFEL TOWER !

- - -LOOKS LIKE IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME ! ! !

Man, I gotta go next year !

- so far that makes it :
1. Luna Jam
2. and now Paris !

.....................-Rene' Cannonball Carrasco !
RENE CARRASCO for - SK8KINGS.COM - Abec 11 Wheels - Tracker Trucks - Khiro Skateboard Products - Nitro Racing Bearings - Vans Skate Shoes !

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Results: Paris - Tight Parallel slalom

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sun May 30, 2004 9:22 am

Paris, Saturday May 29:th, 2004

Straight parallel slalom, Amateurs, Women, Pros

Once again the legendary slopes of Trocadero has been the host of a slalom event. And this was not just any slalom event. This was top quality racing at it's best!

Morning & Midday
Although preparations started early in the morning Saturday and a large portion of structures like fences, tents, electricity were installed already on the Friday we couldn't keep to the original schedule. Registration took much longer than anticipated and the good news is that it was partly because of more skaters registering than expected.

The late start offered the amateurs more practise time, which was probably welcome, and with an announced start at 2 o'clock for the Pros they could just relax and enjoy the beautiful weather and hang out with each other.

The amateur class qualification with 50 participants from France, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Germany, Sweden & USA was done on a single lane course with approximately 32 cones (I didn't count them) spaced at 2.40 m center to center. The top slalommrs made this course in approximately 11 seconds, some being in the 10 second range.
The French guys didn't manage as well as they had hoped and only Vincent Berruchon made it into the top 16. The Swiss though were present as always, be it Am or Pro, and the Swedish team took quite a few of those top 16 places.

Afternoon

In the ladies category, 8 racers were present and the starting field was probably one of the better ever seen at a race. This was the first time ever that an American woman would race Russian women and to add some extra spice the Swiss showed up with all their best. Discussions were held whether the race should be held on the Amateur course (2.4 m) or on the Pro course (2.0 m). Although most seemed to prefer the Pro course they finally agreed to run the Am course.

Late afternoon

The top 16 battled it out in a head-to-head tournament under a sunny Parisian sky and although we were still delayed we now felt that the race would be successful. Amateur racing was good, really good actually with quite a few exciting duels. The Swedes took more

The ladies finals also brought some exciting action. With 8 girls in the final we were offered a number of high quality duels. No time to recount all the exciting details now, but I can't resist revealing that Elena Sinadolova of Saint Petersburg, Russia, presented the fastest race of the day in the first round of the final against Nastasja Wolfensberger, then had problems stopping at the end of the course and crashed. The Red Cross team came to her support along with a several racers and translators. Elena told them all: Just let me race!
And so she did!

Late afternoon, early evening

The Pros were eager to race now, having waited the whole day in the sun. Courses were changed, the pro racers took a few practice runs and then we set off the qualification on dual lanes to save some time. The audience who had already appreciated the amateur and womens races now discovered that you can go even faster on a slalom board!

27 pros from France, USA, Canada, UK, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Latvia and Italy fought hard to gain one of those top 16 places.

Luca Giammarco (ITA) qualified first with a time that shocked both timers and fellow racers, followed by Maurus Strobel (SUI) and Vlad Popov (RUS) Chris Hart (SUI), Christoph Baumann (GER) and Steve Olson (USA). Steve looked really hot and just got better throughout the day. Places 7-16 in the qualification were:
Mandarino (USA), Carrasco (USA), Langlade (FR), Klang (SWE), Alavoine (FR), Siegrist (SUI), Price (UK), Stride (UK), Marcus Seyffarth (SWE),
Claude Regnier (CAN).

Some highlights:

- Luca in the round of four took out his oppenent by over one second.
- Peter Klang (SWE) was the great surprise being right up there with the best.
- Carrasco had to race Luca, so he was forced out early, despite doing an excellent run.
- The fastest time of the day were around 9.90 (raw time) but only Luca could make such times and still stay clean.
- Martin Siegrist just got better throughout the day.
- Paul Price was unlucky to suffer an incorrect judgement by a conejudge. He was offered a re-run against Chris Hart to settle things, but Chris Hart stole his place by a few hundreds of a second.

The results will tell the rest...

Straight Parallel Slalom results:

Amateur, qualification
Amateur, finals

Women, qualification
Women, finals

Pro, qualification
Pro, finals

/Jani

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sun May 30, 2004 9:27 am

Sunday morning: it's raining...

The slide contest will be held on wet surface and probably the roller skaters will do at least one of their events. Maybe Vlad should bring out his rollerskates as we won't have any skateboard slalom this morning at least.

It should clear up in the afternoon though. The sun is already shining through the clouds.

We're also looking into alternatives for doing a fun race in a covered spot, in the afternoon, should the rain continue.

/Jani

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

THANKS !

Post by Rene Carrasco » Sun May 30, 2004 10:00 am

Jani -

....thanks for keeping us up-to-date !
.......real cool !

...............................- Rene' " Cannonball "
RENE CARRASCO for - SK8KINGS.COM - Abec 11 Wheels - Tracker Trucks - Khiro Skateboard Products - Nitro Racing Bearings - Vans Skate Shoes !

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Re: Results: Paris - Tight Parallel slalom

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Sun May 30, 2004 10:12 am

Jani Soderhall wrote:The French guys didn't manage as well as they had hoped and only Vincent Berruchon made it into the top 16.
Hmm Jani, perhaps you wanna say in the top 8 of AM?
because Antoine Miranda, Claude Queyrel, Florian Lombardo and Guillaume Coquin were in the top 16 too.

But is was a good shiny day of slalom at the Trocadero ;)
Let's hope the sun will be back soon.

First photos of the PRO tight final Luca Giammarco against Maurus Strobel:

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Results: Sunday May 30, special slalom, Paris World Cup 2004

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon May 31, 2004 7:57 am

Paris, Sunday May 30:th, 2004

Due to rain in the morning the amateurs were only given two runs and the best time counted. There was no time to run a proper head to head final for the amateurs. They also suffered more than their share of technical mishaps. On top of that many of them DQ'd because the course was difficult towards the end. Quite a few cones were flying which made it very hard for the cone judges down by the bottom of the course to do a correct job. Apologies to those that may have been treated incorrectly.

In the ladies special slalom, same rule, no final. Despite several announcements not all the racers may have understood this late change of rules and we'd like to apologize to the girls for not being able to run their finals.

The Pro final was the highlight of the day. Top quality racing in a top quality location. You'll hear more about this soon!

First of all my apologies to the top French amateur riders for the incorrect reporting from the parallel slalom. Luckily I was corrected by Vinzzz

Special Slalom results:

Amateur, qualification

Women, qualification

Pro, qualification

Pro, finals

/Jani

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon May 31, 2004 8:24 am

16 prize cheques distributed so far. Plenty of smiles.

Etnies shoes to all top riders, all categories.
Plenty of other stuff to the top 8 skaters in all categories.

More racing today!

/Jani

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon May 31, 2004 9:26 pm

It's over.

Chris Hart won the giant slalom ahead of Luca and Richie, Siegrist, Hollien, Popov, Illegale, Price, von Glasow, Linford, Königshausen, Klang, Seyffarth, Alavoine and Langlade. 24 pros raced today.

Vincent Berruchon (FRA) won the open class ahead of Roman Haltiner (SUI), Guillaume Coquin (FRA), Florian Lombardo (FRA) and Henrik Madsen (SWE) and Mike Cividino (CAN).

Lynn Kramer won the womens category, both todays giant slalom race and the overall title after a nasty crash by Elena Sinadolova. She was taken to the hospital and was asked to stay overnight so that they could keep an eye on her and do a couple of follow up exams. We wish her a quick recovery!

Except for the Elenas fall the day was a great success and the race ended early enough for everybody to either catch their flights or just hang around and chat for a few hours.

Christoph Baumann from Germany won the 100 euro "Surprize cash".

I'd like to express a warm thank you to all the racers who attended and to all the volunteers who helped out during these three days.

See you all next year again!

/Jani

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon May 31, 2004 10:21 pm

Just another note before going to bed after three hard working days...

I think it's safe to say that we've all been part of the highest level skateboard slalom racing event ever held at the Trocadero.

So many good pros (29), so many good women (8!!!) and plenty of good amateurs (50) all doing their very best during these 3 race days.

/Jani

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:00 am

Great event!
Bravo Jani, RIDERZ and everybody involved in the event!

See you next year!!!!

Before going to bed me too, two pictures of the Giant Pro
Chris Hart who wins
Carrasco chargin'!

Gianluca Ferrero

congratulations to the partecipants and our best to Elena

Post by Gianluca Ferrero » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:15 am

We are very happy to have knew all the news about the Race.

Expecially for Chris Hart ' first place, for the Indiana Podiums and the coming back to our field of Elena.

We hope she will get in shape soon

FIHP CONISKATE Pres.
Gianluca Ferrero

Mathias Puentedura

Post by Mathias Puentedura » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:49 am

Yeah Great event!!! See U on the race next!!

Congratulation to all rider, to RIDERZ etc...

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:35 pm

Latest news on Elena:

She's doing fine! She left the hospital after scans last night confirmed that there were nothing more than superficial bleedings. Phew!

She's currently in my office and we'll be having lunch together.

/Jani
Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre-Yves Ritschard
panda
panda

Post by Pierre-Yves Ritschard » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:45 pm

That's good to hear,

I hope she'll master the art of foot braking by next year and that she'll be able to come and race with us once more.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Paris Slalom World Cup - Giant slalom

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:00 pm

Paris, Monday May 31:st, 2004

Giant Slalom results:

Amateur

Women

Pro

/Jani

David Rudnianski
LTC
LTC

Post by David Rudnianski » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:20 pm

hello!

here are some photo shooted during the contest.....

the first photos are from the Open class, then Pro....

hope you'll enjoy....

browser:
http://trocacrew.free.fr/photos/pswc/pa ... 7_IMG.html

big size photos ( zip file) :
http://trocacrew.free.fr/photos/pswc/pswc.zip
www.riderz.net

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

A big THANKS!!!!!

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:04 pm

To everyone who raced, sponsored, were part of the croud you deserve a big Thank You.

It was a great event with some glitches that were well handled.

Everyone showed great patience as we had several incidents of delays for several reasons.

The bottom line is, It was completed and many of us had the best time of our lives on a skateboard.

To all of those that worked endless hours on the event Thank you, Thank you, Thank You.
Many Happy Pumps!

Bryan Werner

Post by Bryan Werner » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:49 pm

I hope to come next year as a USA Junior. Wow.

Ellena Senina
Piglet
Piglet

-

Post by Ellena Senina » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:06 pm

---
Last edited by Ellena Senina on Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Who's hot?

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:08 pm

Photo credit: Riderz.net (alain/mika)

I think the Inline slalomers have benefits we haven't analyzed yet
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Paris World Cup II 2004

Post by Sam Gordon » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:04 pm

Jani, Dan and the unrecognised but fully appreciated Paris team, thank you for putting together such an exciting and enjoyable event. This excellently organised World Cup race brings together such a great bunch of people; if only they were not all such brilliant skaters! (next year...)

I think that I lost a couple of pounds worrying about the Special Slalom course on Sunday, but once out of the starting gate WHAT A RIDE! Fast, rhythmical, lethal. Those poor cones didn't stand a chance. Top racing!
Last edited by Sam Gordon on Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:16 pm

Thanks to all for a good time at the Trocadero! Special thanks to Jani who made it understandable for the non French people. Dan - can you hear anything on your right ear? The speaker last day SHOUTED all day just inches away... I can't believe you survived, good job!

Anyways the Swedish possé took some pictures there, mostly interesting for the swedes, but have a look at:

http://www.ettsexett.com/bilder/gallerys/paris04.html

alavoine jean paul

Post by alavoine jean paul » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:13 pm

The contest that was held last week-end at the Trocadéro is now one of my favourite ever, thanks to the good atmosphere and the fair-play of each and every competitor. I'd like to thank all of the skaters who travelled from abroad to compete with the French old timers and the very promising young ones (vinz, fred, david, coquin...)
Looking forward to skate on other spots with the very stylish Steve, Richy, Vincent Langlade, Chris and Giammarco (sorry I can't list everyone)...
THUMBS UP FOR THE ORGANIZERS !
Thanks to the other Gianmarco (Jean Marc): Vaissette of Etnies France for sponsoring the event.
CU ALL SOON Jean-Paul (also known as Popol)
jean paul aka POPOL:
"I was born yesterday...
but I stayed up all night!"

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Short Version

Post by Vlad Popov » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:05 am

Home sweet home.

Paris 2004 - Bigger, Better, Faster.

Thank you much!

Pierre Samray

Post by Pierre Samray » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:16 am

congratulation to the organizers!
great moment for all the racers I think
Execept for me. I arrived in Paris very ill with a lot of fever and wasn't really able to race correctly, then felt better the third day for my favorite race : the giant ...and made a very stupid fall against a barrier, 20 minutes before the race..and broke my hand in 3 parts!!!
Nobody see that because in the same time Elena fell too beyond everybody. So a friend got me to hospital.
Anyway my young team from Antibes make good performance in amateur class with Florian second in special (he is only 15 years old!) Guillaume third in GS (very good for a specialist of downhill and streetluge) and Antoine (17 years old and 3 time in the 10 first).
No more skate for me for a long time so now I've just to look after them and prepare them for the next event : Grueningen
And of course we will be back in Paris next year!

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Pictures?

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:01 pm

I wonder where all the pictures are. Did anybody take pictures to post or upload them anywhere?

I just got the link to the Airflow picture gallery: http://www.airflow-skateboards.com/Slal ... php?id=206

rmn

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:05 am

Ramon,
Thanks for posting that link to the pictures of the Paris race hosted at the Airflow website. I had not seen those and they are very good and give a good feeling of the race. It is also good to put a face to your words.

Pierre,
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope you hand is doing better soon, and that you get it good next year.

Jani,
I am curious. Who do you have to deal with in Paris to get permission to throw the event at such an incredible place? Is there much involved getting it to happen. France it pretty cool for letting slalom skateboard racing take place there.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:43 pm

A selection of images taken by Pierre-Yves Ritschard, president of Riderz:

more of his images here: http://longsk8.net/?q=image/tid/9

/Jani