[2006] STHLM HELL 100, sept 23, 2006

European Races & Results (for Major, Main and Prime level races)

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Robert Thiele

Marcus Seyffarth

[2006] STHLM HELL 100, sept 23, 2006

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:33 pm

The Stockholm yearly 100 cone challange will take place on saturday september 23:rd (with sunday 24:th as backup). The race will require pre qualification for each racer.

The qualification consists of clearing 20 (1.60m c2c) cones clean on a time less than 4.40 seconds. This to avoid conespray at the race. Qualification races will be held during this week.

The race itself will be held on a freshpaved hill with cone distances between 155-165cm. Hopefully producing a very fast race! All racers will be given 4 runs each in reversed order from qualification times.

First qualification run (saturday september 16:th) made for three ok qualifiers:
Marcus Seyffarth 3.80 sec
Peter Klang 3.95 sec
Anders Berglind 4.19 sec

Startinglist as of 20060920
Per Gustavsson (4.38)
Erik Lundberg (4.23)
Anders Berglind (4.19)
Olle van Keppel (4.01)
Peter Klang (3.95)
Hans Göthberg (3.91)
Marcus Seyffarth (3.71)

Race Starts at 9.30.
No practice.
No warm up.
No nothing.
Only the four fastest runs of your life.
Last edited by Marcus Seyffarth on Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:44 pm

Second qualification (monday 18:th) made for three more ok'd qualifiers:
Hans Göthberg 3.95 sec
Olle Keppel 4.23 sec
Per Gustavsson 4.38 sec

Hans Göthberg made a very fast run when the timer was not ready, and will probably improve on next qualification. I improved my time to 3.71.
Last edited by Marcus Seyffarth on Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:45 pm

Third qualification race had some pretty strong head winds that made it hard for the racers. Still Erik Lundber managed to put in a clean run in 4.23 which put him on the startline on saturday.

Hans Göthberg improved his best time to 3.91 and Olle van Keppel his time to 4.01.

Perhaps it will be one last qualification run on friday. More info to come.

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:35 pm

Perfect weather with blue skies, 20C and light tail wind greeted us at the hill. Everything was set up @ 9.15 so the race actually started a little early. Now that's not very common for a slalomrace is it?

The rest of the race was also a little special with a new 100 cones world record (19.73) already in the first round by Marcus Seyffarth. The record was then pushed a little further and ended up at 19.22 seconds after a run on 18.32 with 9 cones hit.

I'm to tired to write any more at this time, but there will be a short film of one of the runs in a few days.

Results:
1. Marcus Seyffarth 19.22 (18.32+9)
2. Peter Klang 22.23 (19.93+23)
3. Per Gustavsson 25.93 (23.73+22)

Juniors:
1. Marcus Perlborg 36.88 (36.08+8)

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Way to go!

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:45 am

Nice one -- a new world record!

Can you tell us more about the course length, pitch, surface, and cone-to-cone distances?

-- Pat

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:22 am

Luca always said it could be improved. But I had doubts. Very cool that you did it Marcus!!

/Jani

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:00 pm

OK, Marcus, so maybe you're not a "young buck," as I wrote in this thread
( viewtopic.php?t=2234&highlight=cones+per+second ). But you're definitely FAST! What kind of setup did you ride? And have your wheels cooled off yet?

P.S. Hey, Klang, you left a few cones standing! :-)
Last edited by Jonathan Harms on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:02 pm

Thanks!

It was actually pretty cool running a very long course at such high speed, we should do it more often..!

The hill is a fresh paved bike path with super slick black asphalt that had very good grip. It's fairly steep, as usual it is hard to say how steep it is, but close to Trocadero is my guess, whatever that is in degrees. The start is flatter and at the end it gets a little steeper. When I say steep I mean slalomwise...

When I set the course I started at the middle setting 50 cones about 160cm center to center. Realizing it would be pretty fast towards the end I opened it up a little and put the last 25 cones at maybe 165-168cm. Since the start was a little flatter and also is just the start I did the opposite at the start, so my guess is that the first 25 is closer to 155cm.

Really it's 5 of my size 8½ between cones add some at the bottom, lose some at the start.

The course didn't all fit in the straight part of the path so the last 20 cones was in a slight bend to the right. I didn't feel bothered by that, I had problems staying in the course way ahead of that part. I think with a few more tries you could do it (a little) faster, but we only had 4 runs and no practice. For instance I think the path must have been banked very lightly to the right since I got the feeling I fell that way in every run except for one that I did after the race.

For setup I used my new board that I built myself http://www.ettsexett.com/indexS.htm I used it at the shortest wheelbase (49.5 cm inner holes). I used Radikals front (shaved clear bushings, wedged 13 degrees) and rear (green/black, wedged maybe 3-4 degrees), and 70 mm MANX 78a/84a and bearings from worldwar II or something close to that.

As soon as I get my videocamera to connect to the computer I'll put up a clip from the run after the race where I did 18.76 and 5 cones.

Peter Klang
Klangster
Klangster

Post by Peter Klang » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:30 pm

Yeah Jonathan I allmost made a clean run till cone 60, after that I toke out 20 some cones of the last 40. I went for two runns then I had to leave for a soccer game (my sons are playing). I think I can do it under 20 sec cones counting, but macster fast, no way. It is very scary at the end. I can´t really see the last 30 cones, I just shake my ass and hope for the best.

I guess I have to say it´s a stupid world record...sence I did´nt break it:-)

Peace all
PK

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:33 pm

Here is a topic from the good old days trying to set up official 100 cone rules so that we could have official World Record attempts.

viewtopic.php?t=312&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=100

It seems like the last version with the latest ideas with the current slalom scene could look something like this:

100 cone rules ver 1.3
-------------------------------------------
1. Course
100 straight "full sized" cones, timed from the middle of first cone to the middle of the last cone.

2. Cone penalty
Cone penalty 0.1 sek for each "cone hit". (Cone limit to be discussed. 11 cones and more is a DQ?)

- "Full sized" = Minimum base diameter 12,5 cm / 5" and minimum hight 20,5 cm / 8".
- "Cone hit" = Fallen cone or outside base circle.

3. Official World record titles
- Fastest run (time with cone penalties)
- Fastest clean run (time with no cones displaced)

4. Official results/events
Results from a 100-cone discipline on a minimum Prime status event. 2 competition runs for each racer. Best time counts (including cone penalty of course).

Blaze into a 100 cone straight course with whatever start you like, on any hill, with any slope, with any surface, with any wind, with any cone spacing in any temperature and adjust your time with penalties. The smallest adjusted time wins.

Do it with your friends and you have an unofficial record. Do it at an official event and you might just break the official world record.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:20 pm

You know I'm just giving you sh*t, Klang.

Paul Graf and I fooled around with 100 cones on a mellow-slope, average-surface hill a couple of months ago. We set them at about 6 feet between cones, stretching to maybe 7 feet at the end. I took maybe four or five runs as the sun was setting and never got below 22 seconds or so. So I know how hard it is just to run 100 cones at any sort of speed and simply make the course, much less run it clean. Once you start poppin', it's hard to be stoppin'. :-)

Marcus Seyffarth

Clip

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:52 pm

Finally here's a clip from the event. The firewire port on the camera all of a sudden stopped working so I couldn't get the clip to my computer. Sometimes it's good to have a sister that you can borrow stuff from...

The clip come in two versions;
low resolution windows of 5MB

http://www.ettsexett.com/gallery/mov/20 ... 00_512.wmv

And high resolution mpg file of 22.8MB
http://www.ettsexett.com/gallery/mov/20 ... 0_svcd.mpg

It's a little shaky since it's taken from a skateboard. I think Peter got my first run in the competition shooting from halfway down the course, perhaps that run can get up here too..?

Enjoy!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:07 pm

Hans Koraeus wrote:Here is a topic from the good old days trying to set up official 100 cone rules so that we could have official World Record attempts.

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... &start=100

It seems like the last version with the latest ideas with the current slalom scene could look something like this:

100 cone rules ver 1.3
1. Course
100 straight "full sized" cones, timed from the middle of first cone to the middle of the last cone.

2. Cone penalty
Cone penalty 0.1 sek for each "cone hit". (Cone limit to be discussed. 11 cones and more is a DQ?)

- "Full sized" = Minimum base diameter 12,5 cm / 5" and minimum hight 20,5 cm / 8".
- "Cone hit" = Fallen cone or outside base circle.

3. Official World record titles
- Fastest run (time with cone penalties)
- Fastest clean run (time with no cones displaced)

4. Official results/events
Results from a 100-cone discipline on a minimum Prime status event. 2 competition runs for each racer. Best time counts (including cone penalty of course).

Blaze into a 100 cone straight course with whatever start you like, on any hill, with any slope, with any surface, with any wind, with any cone spacing in any temperature and adjust your time with penalties. The smallest adjusted time wins.

Do it with your friends and you have an unofficial record. Do it at an official event and you might just break the official world record.
In talking to the Guinness people they seem nowadays to be a lot more strict in their specifications.
1) They seem only interested in CLEAN runs (which Martin Sweeney's was).They don't deal in time penalties.
2) They favour a set cone distance center-to-center. The argument there being that 6ft x 100 cones is a lot further to travel than 5ft, 5.5ft and 6ft mixed x 100.
Has anyone tried to get a clean time out there?

Toby Warg

Post by Toby Warg » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:44 pm

Isn't a World Record and a Guinness World Record two different things?

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:55 am

Toby Warg wrote:Isn't a World Record and a Guinness World Record two different things?
I hadn't thought of that, but yes you are right. Its just people so often talk about Sweeney's record and its the only one when you search the net.Good point Toby.

Peter Klang
Klangster
Klangster

Post by Peter Klang » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:19 am

All Slalom world top ten records are on www.worldcupranking.com and thats the law we live by.

Cho len
PK

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:59 am

Peter Klang wrote:All Slalom world top ten records are on www.worldcupranking.com and thats the law we live by.

Cho len
PK
Cool Klangster, thanks! I'm just surprised Sweeney isn't on there as his was 21.7 clean. he also did 100 cones clean at 5ft (1.5m), but I can't find the footage I have seen on the net, my computer won't play ANY vids through Kubuntu (its crap).

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:16 pm

Toby Warg wrote:Isn't a World Record and a Guinness World Record two different things?
I don't know about other countries, but in the USA, Guinness is generally regarded as "the" world record. For Guinness to sanction a world record, I think "their" people probably have to be there to verify things like cone spacing, accuracy of timing system, etc. For example, in Teutonia, Brazil later this month, Guinness representatives will be there to oversee attempts at breaking the downhill (speedboarding) world record.

I'm sure some circumstances don't require Guinness people to actually be there, e.g., if Asafa Powell breaks the 100-meter dash record at a track meet. In that case, the track & field sanctioning organization already has very strict standards in place to ensure that a record is legitimate, and Guinness probably accepts them.

As for insisting on clean runs, I think it kind of makes sense for Guinness to do that. They're a collector and popularizer of world records. They probably want them easily understood by Joe Average, and my guess is that Joe Average would regard hitting any cones as "not making the course"--which equals a slight loss of credibility for Guinness.

The clean/not clean issue has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, as has the cone-spacing issue. I personally think the spacing shouldn't matter as long as there are 100 cones (I think the number of cones matters more than how far apart they are), but I am starting to think that the "official" record should apply only to clean runs. Any slalomer knows who's really fast and will regard Seyffarth's runs (and George Pappas's run <a rel="nofollow" href="http://gallery.mac.com/fluitt#100049"><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size='2' color='#ff0000'>here</font></a>) as amazing feats, but for the general public, I think insisting on clean runs only makes more sense.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:39 pm

Peter Klang wrote:All Slalom world top ten records are on www.worldcupranking.com and thats the law we live by.

Cho len
PK
Wow, who knew that Bobby Orr and Ivan Hlinka were slalomers? :-) (Seek and ye shall find.)

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:02 pm

JBH, I tried to submit the time to GWR but they replied with that ISSA should be the sanctioning government (I think thats the how they said it). In other words ISSA representatives should acknowledge the record and talk to Guiness in order to get it in. So I sent some emails to Claude (being the president at the time) and some others and nothing happened.

If you wanna break a record I think you can either get some GWR guys to the place or get some other trusted official to make it valid. That is unless there is something like ISSA.

For me it took quite some time to submit all info and basically I put a lot of time into something that gave nothing.

Some time later I happened to be in a book shop and saw the latest edition of Guiness. I opened it up and on the opening cover it was a large picture of some dude breaking the record of "long distance rolling of an orange with your nose", and I thought - f# them I don't wanna be part of that. And then its like you say, people who are into slalom probably know about fast runs anyways, without buying the GWR.

But perhaps a clean record would be nice. Some day when I get some time of from work and so, I'll give it a try. I even painted a course (in June) but haven't had the time to try it...

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:13 pm

Marcus, I think you (or anyone else who can break the "official" record) deserve the recognition that comes from Guinness. I'd be STOKED to see your name in there. (Sure, there are lots of dumb-as-dirt records in there, as you noted, but this is not one of them.)

I also think that you are very capable of doing a clean 100-cone run at 19 seconds or faster and obliterating the old record. And I would support an ISSA sanction of such a record. Go put down that clean run and put an end to the debate! :-)

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:24 pm

WOW! That was a fast run from George! What a hill...

Was I working when this happened or how come there hasn't been more fuss about it?

Now I really gotta get some action...

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:36 pm

I had a bit of a "discussion" with Vlad about the 100-cone challenge a couple of years ago.

He considered it another slalom course (albeit a long one) with cone penalties and maximum DQ.

I consider it unique by virtue of it's very name: 100 CONES. Not 100 minus the ones hit on the way.

I likened it to a concert pianist asking for the penalty for missing so many key playing a scale. No, it's either right or it's wrong. A slalom skateboarder either slaloms through 100 cones or doesn't. Hitting one means he failed to slalom successfully and thus did not successfully make the 100-cone course.

Anyway, that's my reasoning. Of course, the retort might be there's no way to ensure making the course clean and thus it becomes very suspect anyone would ever set any sort of record. Well, nobody ever said it was supposed to be a no-challenge effort to just wiggle real fast wth no consequences.

Dominik Kowalski

Post by Dominik Kowalski » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:38 pm

NEXT YEAR: 101 Cone Of Cologne!!!!!
<a href="http://www.pavel-skates.com" target="_blank" class="postlink">SEX, DRUGS & BACKSIDE ROCK'N'ROLL...</a>
keep on rollin'...

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:11 pm

....ONE FOOTED!

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:31 pm

Marcus Seyffarth wrote:WOW! That was a fast run from George! What a hill...

Was I working when this happened or how come there hasn't been more fuss about it?

Now I really gotta get some action...
I guess we'll have to ask the Colorado guys. As you can see, it wasn't only George at that session. I'm guessing Joe McLaren tried it (he's visible at the top on George's 19.27 run) and probably most or all of the others who attended.

Note: The hill George is riding is where the COSS guys are planning some sort of race--GS, hybrid and tight--at the end of October (I think). I noticed the discussion on the Worlds thread about the steepness of the hill. It seems crazy to set a "tight" course on such a hill, but it can be done. It's not the usual type of TS, but it's very challenging nonetheless.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:33 pm

3 WHEELS?