[2007] Grenoble - Candidate for European Championship '07

European Races & Results (for Major, Main and Prime level races)

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Robert Thiele

Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy
Jean-Sébastien
Jean-Sébastien

[2007] Grenoble - Candidate for European Championship '07

Post by Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:50 pm

Antibes 2007 won't take place, but Pierre Samray and the french federation present the event which will remplace it :

Grenoble, the 8/9 of september 2007

Situed in the south of France (See the map), not far from Switzerland, Italia and Germany, the event is organized by Gliss Evenement, a local association which organize street and snowboard events, with the association of Pierre Samray and the CND.

We have two locations for the race : the olympics games stadium in the downtown for the tight and special slaloms, and a big street not far from that for the giant slalom.

Next to the slalom race, in the stadium there will be different demos and competitions of skateboard, BMX, moutainboard, concerts at night etc. The stadium is very well situated, and we can announce now that there will be much entertainment, and a lot of public !

We are planning to be a event of the french championship, and for the ISSA World Cup or European Championship.

Photos and more informations about the race, the prize money are coming soon...
Last edited by Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helene Schmit

Post by Helene Schmit » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:15 pm

this is a really interesting information! thanks guys

and chamrousse is also really close from grenoble ;)

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:42 pm

that sounds interesting ! I have heard they have good wine and food over there ?! :-)

...but it sounds that two of the events (tight and special) are on flat surface ? :-(
Last edited by Carsten Pingel on Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Rudnianski
LTC
LTC

Post by David Rudnianski » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:18 pm

Slalomskateboarders superstars? I vote for grenoble!
French Pirates are in the place...
www.riderz.net
http://pirateslalom.online.fr/
Politic Longboard Activist...

Pierre Samray

Post by Pierre Samray » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:17 pm

I speak with Philippe the Organizer, this morning. Everything seems to be ok
It should be a great event in the center of Grenoble (for the giant) and on the olympic stadium for the others slalom. At the same moment it could have concerts and others sports activity. There is 3000 sit places in the stadium and Philippe specialized in communication could assure these places will be full. Slalom race with public as athetism meeting! What can we expect better for our discipline?

Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy
Jean-Sébastien
Jean-Sébastien

Post by Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:55 pm

Yes, like in Antibes the tight and special will occur in the stadium, and it's flat.. and the giant isn't ! :-)

Pierre is right, it will be a event similar to the snowboard ones, with music, people and also a huge media coverage...

Riccardo Roma

Post by Riccardo Roma » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:03 pm

it seems to me a very good idea to dispute a part of the competition in a closed stage, approachhing our discipline to organized big sports ! a big X for Grenoble!

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:55 pm

WOW!

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:05 am

Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy wrote:Yes, like in Antibes the tight and special will occur in the stadium, and it's flat .. and the giant isn't ! :-)
No more flat World Cup Races / Championships, please! That sucks...in most cases the one with the most power wins (unless you set up a REAL technical course, which I doubt) an not the one with the best technique. If we want to raise the niveau, make it interesting, gain specators - don't make slalomraces on flat surfaces anymore!

If it's flat, it's got to be TIGHT! Otherwise...well, otherwise it's children's birthday

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:28 am

Agreed with Ramon, NO FLAT!

Why not have tight in the town also?
I really doubt people will come to the stadium. We had that before in the 70s, 80s, boring flat stadium racing. Not again please, not with me.

Slalom Skateboarding belongs in the streets...............

Gustavs G

Post by Gustavs G » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:41 am

Grenoble-candidate for Euro2007!Sounds good!Olympic stadium for tight and special-very good!If it is flat that's OK!This is slalomskateboard not longboard.If someone is a very good slalomracer he can win on any kind of surface!

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:10 am

nobody ever saw yet what grenoble will be like but some folks cheer for it,why is that so?
if they have two disciplines at least held on flat i will book more tickets for the usa next year.
i'm so fed up with races that have these flatland stuff in there.
brixlegg will have all races on slopes next year
i made sure of that
hopefully grenoble can top the courses and the prize purse of brixlegg.
skating in a stadium with only! 3000 watchers can be a damn bad sideshow.
does any of the "yes,grenoble" guys have a slight imagination of an arena with only 3000people in it?
i doubt that these folks will come for the slalom races,i really doubt that.
so it's just a few folks who dream abit about skating an an empty arena?
whata lovely view for a race.
and yes,again,i want to see races held on a slope.
poeple want to see a show with speed,that's undeniable.
slopes offer those situations for folks and it's way better to watch than any flatland contest.

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:54 am

Slalom Contests held in big cities (Brixlegg is not a big city, but nice) like Zürich, Paris that is what we need. Contests connected to big affairs like the Tunnel opening in Kreuzlingen 2002 or the EXPO Fair in Hannover. Thats what we need.

Noone does sit at a slalom skateboard contest longer than 40 minutes if he or she is not somehow connected to a participant or the race in itself. At least if we don´t do anything about that fact. We need to encourage the people to stay. Noone would sit in the finish area of a ski race and freeze their asses off if there would be no screens or entertaining announcers and beverages and food.

If we hold races in big cities where people stroll around anyway we will have spectators. And you know, if people walk through the town and see a group standing and watching they will join. That is natural. Then let there be some blood and tension and you´ve got it.

Please no flat slalom anymore.
Last edited by Chris Eggers on Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:53 am

hey chris
brixlegg is a supersmall city but..... the deals involved with some skateboard mags which happened,becuase brixlegg and the park are no unknown factors to the media,are the thing slalom needs.
we have extensive coverage in 3 magazines around the world.all skate-or skaterelated.
my take on this event is,that it received more media-coverage than any other contest during the last decade.
i am talking about skateboard magazines.feel free to purchase the next few mags to see what i mean.
growing the sport does not happen in empty arenas.
growth is achieved through media presence.
anybody doubting this should feel free to ask any producer of any brand.
no media/promo(to the target group)= no sales.
that's a simple rule a lot of the slalomskateboarders don't see.

this is a very big topic i just scratched on the surface a bit.
please,nobody should feel offended,but flogging a dead horse is not the way to go.

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:58 am

Hey Don, Brixlegg is off the wall!
I love it.

It was great.

No flat please..........

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:38 am

Flat is ok as long as you've got a big startramp and a tight/challanging course. I personally prefer a flatter tight/special than a tight/special where you win on GS board an GS wheels. Cause then it's simply not tight, then it's hybrid.

Don, which are the magazines? I was looking for the article in last issue of CW, perhaps it's in the next number?
Last edited by Marcus Seyffarth on Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jadranko Radovanovic

Post by Jadranko Radovanovic » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:50 am

Why not to take grenoble as a World Cup / European Championchip ?

We should try it, and the event in combination with other sports sounds great.

/J-Rad

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:07 pm

hey marcus
get the november issue,jason wrote the text about brixlegg
the other mags,which not everybody of you might get a hand on will follow as scans on ss.com.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:13 pm

jadranko

all in all i like to see new(old) organizers entering the ring to create new venues.
i would also love to see grenoble but as a world-cup for starters.

David Rudnianski
LTC
LTC

Post by David Rudnianski » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:14 pm

I don't care about flat or not. A good skateboarder can ride everything. I think it should be a good idea to alternate flat race and slope race ( even death race like in brixlegg...)

The thing is that it's on the go, doesn't matter if it's for french championship or european cup, am I wrong J.S.?
As J.S. says, it won't be only a slalom skateboard event, and as I always thought, combine to " attractives" sports and concert, slalom could be attractive. It's a fact, slalom is not as funny as big air... I even get bored by watching slalom on contest, but with a great speaker/organisation it should be great.
So why not try? and Grenoble is a big city !

Don, I don't care about statues, and I hope to be in Brix and Gre next year ;)

PS: By the way, you didn't told me next date for GOG... I got some young blood here in Paris....
French Pirates are in the place...
www.riderz.net
http://pirateslalom.online.fr/
Politic Longboard Activist...

Gustavs G

Post by Gustavs G » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:54 pm

I think we must give a chance to Grenoble to organize the Euros.Brixlegg was also new point at the global slalommap,but they organized the Worlds!And it was good!!!
So it could be fair to give chance to Grenoble too!

My full name is Gustavs Gailitis (I'm the son of Gints Gailitis,Latvia),but I had a problem with registering but I am gonna fix it!

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:23 pm

Chris Eggers wrote:Slalom Contests held in big cities (Brixlegg is not a big city, but nice) like Zürich, Paris that is what we need. Contests connected to big affairs like the Tunnel opening in Kreuzlingen 2002 or the EXPO Fair in Hannover. Thats what we need.

Noone does sit at a slalom skateboard contest longer than 40 minutes if he or she is not somehow connected to a participant or the race in itself. At least if we don´t do anything about that fact. We need to encourage the people to stay. Noone would sit in the finish area of a ski race and freeze their asses off if there would be no screens or entertaining announcers and beverages and food.

If we hold races in big cities where people stroll around anyway we will have spectators. And you know, if people walk through the town and see a group standing and watching they will join. That is natural. Then let there be some blood and tension and you´ve got it.

Please no flat slalom anymore.
So what do you mean about the subject Chris ?

For everybody information:
Grenoble is a quite big city in France and very well known for different things and especially because it's one of the important place for extreme and mountains sports.
It's also a good geographic situation as it's just near Swiss and Italia (arrgh... so perhaps it's a bad idea ;) ) It's also 3h hours from Paris (center to center) by train so easy to reach anywhere you could come.

It seems that the Olympics site is in the city and is not a so closed stadium that what you could imagine. It's ever a place where lot of people come to hang out every week-end
As people their really enjoy snowboard, skateboard and sport - with a real advertising some people will come, even if it's not first to see slalom action.

People that wants to organize it big, want to organize it like big snowboard/ski shows and contests. Slalom in the middle but not only that. Real international DJs, different other sports, medias and most of what you can expect.

I'm really not a fan of flat slalom but it's obvious that it's also something that exists.
In Antibes it was the Riderz Cyber Slalom, most of you also know the NCDSA Cyber Slalom.

The only things the organizers need to know quickly is if the best riders are ready to participate to a top level event in Grenoble. If not it doesn't worth the game for them.

Flat or not, it can be big a big exposure for our sport and the giant will probably be interesting too. To be clear it will be important to know really quickly if Grenoble could be the Euro 2007 or not.
Brixlegg seems to be the only other candidate.
Event if Brix is a great location -and I will enjoy to go back there- but it ever been the Worlds last year. Does it need to have Euros to be big this year?
We need some other new exciting events
Grenoble need to be big or can't be (to be clear it needs at least Main status and would be better with Euros - Major).
[ www.pavel-skates.com ] [ www.riderz.net ]
"Dont care what the World say - I and I could a never go astray -Well wee gona have Things our Way" - Robert Nesta Marley

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:34 pm

Vincent Berruchon wrote:The only things the organizers need to know quickly is if the best riders are ready to participate to a top level event in Grenoble. If not it doesn't worth the game for them.
I'll be there, unless there's no big Stand Up Downhill Event at the same time.

And keep it up in your mind: Flat shall be a synonyme for Tight! ;-)

rmn

Dominik Kowalski

Post by Dominik Kowalski » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:55 pm

Ramón Königshausen wrote:
Vincent Berruchon wrote:The only things the organizers need to know quickly is if the best riders are ready to participate to a top level event in Grenoble. If not it doesn't worth the game for them.
I'll be there, unless there's no big Stand Up Downhill Event at the same time.

And keep it up in your mind: Flat shall be a synonyme for Tight! ;-)

rmn
same thoughts on my side....hmmm. well, maybe not too tight ;) Personly I think a world cup could be interesting, if the giant is a real giant, than we can show slalom in the flat to the people, (who may be be there) and have fun on sunday in the sun.....just my 2 cents, or whatever you call that. I think a world cup sounds more interesting since Brixlegg has more potentinal in slope than a stadium. Ok, one more thing: since we are in an olympic stadium, should we include high jumping?
<a href="http://www.pavel-skates.com" target="_blank" class="postlink">SEX, DRUGS & BACKSIDE ROCK'N'ROLL...</a>
keep on rollin'...

Helene Schmit

Post by Helene Schmit » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:47 pm

David Rudnianski wrote:The thing is that it's on the go, doesn't matter if it's for french championship or european cup, am I wrong J.S.?
yes, no matter what "status" the race has, we will be there, the concept is cool :)
and hopefully it should not interfer with a DH event, alsace french championship race should be the week-end before, and pyrénées race the week-end after (if it happens again)...

Helene Schmit

Post by Helene Schmit » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:50 pm

Dominik Kowalski wrote:Ok, one more thing: since we are in an olympic stadium, should we include high jumping?
like in Antibes? :)

Janis kuzmins

Post by Janis kuzmins » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:20 pm

Don, you had your chance with all promises before this year, and you get worlds.
But honestly a lot of things was not on good level. first day surface (useless), second day course was not a special. And both was not really on big slope. no problem it's slope or flat but course need to be right, on flat more tight with fast start ramp. Giant need to be on big slope, and I understand that no problem with that. Great. There are a lot of good course setting gays like Jani, Luca, Marcus, me ..., but nobody ask the consultation. If one of organisers will be Pierre, I'm sure that he will have a big organization team, because I saw it both years in Antibes. And what I saw that all Franch always are helping each other in organization. Latvians want to race on right surfaces and courses, and of course Good ORGANIZATION.
Grenoble can count with me and Lienite

Dominik Kowalski

I didn't know that

Post by Dominik Kowalski » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:27 pm

Janis kuzmins wrote: There are a lot of good course setting gays like Jani, Luca, Marcus, me ...
I'm sorry , I couldn't resist, that is sooo hillarius!!!!! HaHahaAAAA!!!!!! :)

Well, I think you can't say ok, this was your chance, and we leave it like that, thinks have to have a chance to develope. A contest is never perfect, I believe that in end it is just a matter of taste and what you prefer for yourself, and how you ended up, that makes peoples opinion, at least it seems like it. I think we should wait and see what happends. See what each and everybody from the organizers can do to promote their race, and when it's about done, we can deside what seems to fit more for each race....I think I know that there will be no gay course setting in brix! HahA! Sorry, I just couldn't resist ;)

No matter what, racing is fun. So, I'll be there.
I wanna see some french fxcking fire cooking it up!!!
<a href="http://www.pavel-skates.com" target="_blank" class="postlink">SEX, DRUGS & BACKSIDE ROCK'N'ROLL...</a>
keep on rollin'...

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:41 pm

hey janis
i see your arguments and you repeat yourself again.
know what is really sad about everything you wrote?

you didn't have the balls to tell me that in brixlegg,face to face.
that's your fault,no backbone,only racing on the keyboard.
you made this fault and there's no going back.

with all that yackering about "perfect" and "not perfect" contests,take your time and a broomstick and start cleaning your own front door.
the most perfect race from this season as i can recall it was paris.
the latvian race and the antibes races are known for not following through from quali to finals.
the latvians are also known for ramps that fall apart and for unfinished races due to time restrictions from the local authorities.
don't try to ask or go into detail-you know what i'm talking about.
you are not the only person on the world and your way of interpreting the quality of any race differs a lot from the way i see it.
let's leave it like that,we both shouldn't argue about that.
i think i could hold a race on any ikea parking lot in sweden,latvia,whereever,as long as it is a world-whatever cup i would see you attend it.

again:you didn't have the backbone to tell me upfront what you didn't like,you missed the chance to have improvements during the race(this requires that the vast majority of the racers agreed with you).

fact for me is:most visitors liked the package brixlegg had,only a few(3 to be exact) were complaining after the event.

so you go wherever you want,whenever you chose,have it that way.
and i will continue to make any race i do and organize not dependant on latvian or russian desires.
this will polarize people and their oppinions towards me again,but let's have it that way.
better be honest than a backstabber.

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:12 pm

Dom, yes you are a youngster and you might not think about it, but it's comments like yours that keep talented riders with valueful thoughts of the forum. Also as long as your own posts are full of misspelled words perhaps you should keep those thoughts to yourself.

Donald, I have a hard time thinking only three persons thougth that all of your promises were not kept at Brix. Personally I think it was ok, though the surface day 1, the course day 2 and the racers cone judging day 3 was not ok. It's funny that you bring up that Riga didn't get to finish their race due to time restrictions of local authorities, I get the feeling the exact same thing happened at the GS i Brix. Also it's funny you complain about a race you didn't even attend yourself.

I didn't complain at the race in Brix, I sent you a personal email that you didn't respond to. I don't think any race organizer needs to get more stress than they already have at a race. What would you do, repave the street in 5 minutes? It certainly didn't look like you needed any more stress during the racedays at Brix at least. At the raceday it's to late to change stuff, it's better to go on and give some constructive critics to the next time. But that's just my personal opinion.

But this is not the core though, and it's certainly not the topic for this thread. I think the core is you had the major status event of europe last year, so it's time for someone else to have that status next year. So even if it would have been perfect in Brix last year, in my opinion Brix can't have the euros, it's just how it works. Rotation. We get to see more of the world and we get to have more fun.

Now we have Grenoble - a new exciting venue. WOW!

BTW, if you DID get to have a race at an IKEA parking during a weekend we would probably have the biggest audience ever. Also we would have hot dogs and coke for 1€ isn't that why we do this, audience and hot dogs?

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:45 am

hey marcus easy
yeah right we spoke about that before
one thing only....i couldn't keep all my promises,which is true but i presented the best deal europe has had so far,you certainly won't disagree on that,won't you?

on grenoble:
i remember you also presenting your stuff on video to get feedback

now you get nothing in advance and you folks start cheering

did i miss something?

on dominik:i see it completely the other way what you say about him and as i do so,we have to admit that there's always two sides of a coin.

Pierre Samray

Post by Pierre Samray » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:07 pm

Don says "the latvian race and the antibes races are known for not following through from quali to finals".

??????? don't understand....??? So you was here, disguised in Palm tree?
The only problem I've seen this year in Antibes was when I've announced a sponsor who was not here. Fortunatly others don't let me down and I thanks them again!

Anyway I don't see the rapport with Grenoble just see as usual some has no other argument than criticize, which for sure is more easy. I've no time to wast with that. Just know that the organizer of Grenoble has big possibility and can put a big event and ask advices and help from people as Jani, Vinzzz or me to help him on the sport part.

Now do all the race you want where you want. I'm no more unteresting by all that!
THIS TOPIC IS ABOUT THE NEXT EURO CHAMPIONSHIP : PLEASE BE CONSTRUCTIVE!

have a good day and see you "may be" next year

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:39 pm

ehmmm
a sponsor who didn't follow through?
you must mean me,right?
see,the box got returned to me,it was sent to a friend in paris who entered your race and who was supposed to bring the schwag to you.
not bad for a contest i didn't even visit?
don't you think so too?

ok about being constructive:
would you take your time and show the exact venues,timtables and stuff involved just to make sure the proposed race gets the necessary feedback derived upon facts please?
it is highly insufficient to name a city and go for it.

on unfinished races :you know what i mean,so please don't play stupid,ok?

ah yes... i want to hold the euros next year in brixlegg too

thank you and have a nice evening

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:09 pm

I'd propose you work out a "Candidature Paper" which contains properly listed facts such as schedule, spots, accomodation info, sponsors, pictures of the venue, involved organizers - like an advertisement, teaser for why you should get the Euros.

A selected group of Racers (f.e. Top 20 Pros/Ams / or other reasonable criterias) will be able to take a vote on their prefered canditate and voilà!

Is that an idea?

rmn

Janis kuzmins

Post by Janis kuzmins » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:38 pm

Wow!!!
So personal offence!!!
Courageous!
Last time something constructive like this i was heard in nursery school.
ok.
i cant catch where,Don, are consider >organize, organization team,style of courses,slope or flat course,time people,coune people,prize ceromony. Where you saw word „perfect”.
I was writing that i want to compete in „good„organizating competition.Mistakes are always, but fundation base need to be on good level. The same as last year you are wery activ in discusions to get big name competition (and you are good in this)but not hearing not personal but objectiv thinks, i was writing only about competition.you can think that Im the only one who think like this. your attitude its clear. i want that level of organization will grow up, and geography too, othervise this will be only whatheverplace world or european campionship but not real.Exactly Paris this year is patern for others. may be need to learn something? I understud that you dont care about some nations.How many they are now? EC 2004 was 6, ec 2006 was 12, the same as wc 2006.If you will understand what need to improve for great big comp, may be i will suport that too.Next year will be not last.Dont forget about 2008.World cup its wery good name. Where its problem. May be some austrian will growing up in this time. i hope so. Need to give chance for other places too, for organization World or euros. Rotation is good for developing.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Supporting Documents

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:29 pm

ISSA is working on a list/criteria for event that will need to be completed by race promoters.

Different criteri for different race levels.

Quit being so negative and state the facts and what's relative to your own opinion.

Too much negative stuff andvery little imput is being received by the people trying to make the changes for you.
Many Happy Pumps!

Steve Hinzen

Post by Steve Hinzen » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:52 am

Vinz wrote:
The only things the organizers need to know quickly is if the best riders are ready to participate to a top level event in Grenoble.
Pierre, J.S., Vinz, the answer to the organizer's question is obvious and you guys should know why racers come to Paris or Brixlegg. So you better dont't wait for the ISSA to come up with criterias.

First of all promise challenging courses for every race and second put up good prize money and the top guys will be there!

Come up with more promising facts, then go for it and the race will be on.

I personally would like to have further information about the two points I mentioned above. Until now there are no words about prize money. And the question how or if a flat course leads to a challenging race is still under discussion. My personal oppinion is: 2 out of 3 races on flat surface is a bummer for many racers and a high prize for a so called good show. Spectators or not - today races of this kind do not deserve the title of European Championship of Skateboard Slalom Racing.

I wonder if "Gliss Evenement" knows how to make a slalom race attractive for top racers.
I would like to know more about the organizer "Gliss Evenement"? What is their relation to slalom racing? Gliss Evenement can't be found under Google or Yahoo. Funny not to exit in the world of internet for someone who is "specialized in communication" as Pierre said.
Last edited by Steve Hinzen on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.pavel-skates.com/
raceboards with a soul!

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:19 am

The main organizer of the Grenoble race is Philippe Galindo, the boss of Désaxe, the clothes brand that has sponsored the Antibes race every year so far and also the Paris event the last year(s). So he's personally been to several races and knows what a slalom race is all about.

However, he does not consider himself the right guy to RUN the actual slalom race, so he has assured partnership with Pierre Samray, myself, Riderz and the French Skateboard Association, downhill section, represented by Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy.

Philippe and his team provides the site, performs the administrational duties (permits etc) obtains sponsorship and other fundings and puts together the overall event, while letting us - the skaters - run the actual competition.

Philippe is working in the midst of the event and artistic world, both through his clothes brand and his association, so there's a good chance that he'll put together a high quality event for everything that we typically don't have the time to do around an event. Thus ideally we'll get good racing fun in an excellent package.

The only drawback I can see with the Grenoble candidate is the flat surface for two of the races and we discussed that as early as May 2006, but the site itself is part of the event itself and without it wouldn't be the same. So, it's up to us now to make the best out the site:

a) Good starting ramps
b) Good courses
c) Have a good giant slalom off site, on a nice hill (the location has already been chosen, but we're awaiting confirmation).

On the topic of Prize money Philippe did not want to announce it until the race status has been determined and he knows the skaters appreciation of the event. If it's of lower status, the event will have less prize money, or not happen at all, while if it has a higher status, he knows it's easier to find sponsorhip and thus assure higher prize money. I defend the value of Pro prize money, but I don't think it's the major factor in determining the quality and value of an event.

/Jani

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:36 pm

that's very interesting to see who wants to do what.
thank you for the insight,jani.
so it is about participants who enter the race?
ok
good info for me
one other point i see is the aftermarketing of the event in the press medias.
please take your time the next days to see what i made out of it and also take your time to compare who EVER had this coverage since day#1.
on a professional viewpoint,when it comes to marketing and selling a product(see slalom in that case referred to as a product) i did my homework then and the sport in general a big favor,reching across the ocean and informing more skaters in general than anybody has done before.
special thanks go to concrete wave,boardstein,rugged,and pascal wiens for mastering a 10 min brixlegg teaser which you will also see in the next days.

all i do is for the purpose,the task that has to be achieved.
i see my work as an obligation for what i stand for and what i own the community where i take from.
i hope a few folks,who run a businness understand what has been done then and appreciate the effort.
i am not doing this to strut my own ego,if you think that you are dead wrong.
i try to make things perfect(which is very hard) and i give it my best in order to achieve that goal.
so when you talk about riders a contest needs to be good and get the status involved then i will pull all the strings and conncetions necessary to make brix the place to be.
and you all know i can do that,you saw it and it will happen again,only with a few more americans next time,that's no promise.

finally i want to tell you that this post is not written out of arrogance(i know some people really want to have it that way).
maybe i'm driven and determined to give it a good shot and i know that i have highly valuable friends across the world who will support my ideas.

Steve Hinzen

Post by Steve Hinzen » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:29 am

Thank you for the quick information, Jani.

Jani wrote:
If it's of lower status, the event will have less prize money, or not happen at all, while if it has a higher status, he knows it's easier to find sponsorhip and thus assure higher prize money.
It is VERY strange that the oragnizer is depending so much on promises from the racers to come and especially on the "status" of the race. This it not the way to pull off an attractiv contest. I have the strange feeling that the organizer has not much in his hands to make it happen. Why is he depending so much on the status?

This seems like a bad deal to me. First you (the community of slalomers) give me something and then I see what I can do for you. Sorry, but wants it that way. Today there are good races at hand and racers have a choice.

A successful race organizer FIRST puts somethings on the table and promises an attractive race. Then the racers participate.

What has Gliss Evenement to offer right now? How can he talk about 3000 spectators and still be in need of sponsors? Why doesn't he step up by himself and present some essential information about the race sites for example. How can he expect we all say "Hello" to something so unsure.

Don't get me wrong, guys. I would love to see another attraction on the slalom horizon.
But racing on flat is a step back for a challenging high level race. Ramon explained why.

Remember? Last year a lot of people where VERY sceptic about Brixlegg even with REAL facts on hand(challenging courses presented on video and prize money from a powerful and reliable sponsor).

Right now the success of the event in Grenoble is based on the fact that there might be a party???
Last edited by Steve Hinzen on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:11 pm

Steve don't take every words of Jani the wrong way, it was a way to explain that
the organizer want to organize an international contest so he can annouce it as it and do something big with press, sponsors.
Donald probably would not have do the same way if he hadn't grad the World Championships title.
It's communication: Euro Championships mean something to people.
(He could probably use "World Cup" too as so many races do it, but at least need that the racers come.)

What the need for attacks or extrapolations about this or that??
I think you have better to do, OK flat is not what most of us prefer but we had so many races on bad car park or little street nearly flat that a good flat spot won't kill us!
Those who cannot stand won't come, are they so many?

About prize money, pictures and the rest, you'll have facts. Wait just a little bit (we ever saw a few but let's verify and have more to give the best information)

We didn't ask Philippe to come by himself on the forum. I don't think it's a good idea to bring him in the middle this "keyboard shooting" area. He want to help and do something good.

THERE'S SPACE IN EUROPE FOR MORE THAN ONE BIG CONTEST!!!!!!!!
"Dont care what the World say - I and I could a never go astray -Well wee gona have Things our Way" - Robert Nesta Marley

Steve Hinzen

Post by Steve Hinzen » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:40 pm

Vinz wrote:
a good flat spot won't kill us!
Sure, it won't kill you or me, Vinz.

But what about a newbe-amateur who knows how to turn but hasn't developed his pumping skills yet?
Do you want him to hardly make it to the finish line in front of 3000 spectators?
Will he have a chance to participate in your event or do you want to exclude these future racers?
Seriously, maybe you should invite only the best racers to Grenoble to insure a good show.

So far every race in Europe was open to beginning racers of all levels, whatever the "status" of the race was and most of them did not happen in flat.

The ISSA-members (and everybody else) should think about where they want to go with races in the flat. And they better ask themselves what kind of Euros they want to sanction in 2007. Selected racers and a good show or a chance for everybody to motivate newbees?

I wonder if new talent Dominik Kowalski would have tried slalom in the ESC 2004 if it would have been on a flat course.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:49 pm

hey vinzzzzzzzzzzz
in all due respect for you,but...........
i opened a complete package,i showed what i had last year-remember that?
then i ask people about what they would like to see as changes for next year's race,if it would be a euro-con.
and then,all of a sudden,somebody jumps in here-not even asking-proclaiming that he does the euros next year.
i see the same lobby again and again.
i am super determined and way too aggressive for most people's taste.
i know what i am,but sometimes i really wonder if the other side also knows what they are doing?
i have no problem with grenoble,i DO HAVE a problem with people who think they know the universe,walk in here,blow up a balloon,ask their buddies to chime in and defend their balloon.

if we talk about professionalism,then please make sure any representation is done that way.

if i would walk to my sponsors with that kind of presentation grenoble has,i would get kicked out of the door.

this is not cool what's happening here.
if ANYBODY wants to pull off a big event,he should do his homework before he walks in here and demands a status.
GLISS EVENEMENTS is not even listed in google-so that a big event organizer?
aha,what can i make out of this then?
DESAXE-how big is that company?
how much money will they pour into the event?
from checking their website i know the answer already

as much as i will get critcism for this statement,please refer to my initial posts on brixlegg last year and take your time to compare.
i don't ask you to blindly follow what i say,but anybody who does this will see the difference.

besides that:did anybody here ask the americans(stupid example,eh?) how many contests they run on flat surfaces per year?
go and check for yourself.
why slopes?
to encourage the ams also to go through a course and not fall asleep during the course.

some answers are really easy.

this is not shittalk i'm doing here,i am stating plain facts and i ask easy questions.
i also admit,that threads like this one make me supersad.

you wanna do biz?
then try to make it at least look professional.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Pierre Samray wrote:I speak with Philippe the Organizer, this morning. Everything seems to be ok
It should be a great event in the center of Grenoble (for the giant) and on the olympic stadium for the others slalom. At the same moment it could have concerts and others sports activity. There is 3000 sit places in the stadium and Philippe specialized in communication could assure these places will be full. Slalom race with public as athetism meeting! What can we expect better for our discipline?

i will give you the answer to your last sentence which ends with a question:two words

M E D I A C O V E R A G E

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:26 pm

Media coverage is of course part of the project, they ever have some deals with radios, newspaper, magazines and TV.

but Germans are so impatient!!

To be clear Jean-Seb just annouced in that post that Grenoble will be candidate for the Euros. He and others gave so informations but real things are still to come, so perhaps everybody should wait a little before criticizing what has not been said.

Donald and Steve, do what you want, I won't loose more time here to talk about that for the moment!

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:45 pm

ok easy on that vinzz

i'll try to keep away from this discussion,as long as it doesn't interfere with my plans.
i wish the grenoble guys all the best,honestly.

Chris Barker

Re: Supporting Documents

Post by Chris Barker » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:53 pm

Claude Regnier wrote:ISSA is working on a list/criteria for event that will need to be completed by race promoters.

Different criteri for different race levels.

Quit being so negative and state the facts and what's relative to your own opinion.

Too much negative stuff andvery little imput is being received by the people trying to make the changes for you.
Is the ISSA even functioning? I don't see much activity since it voted on the board and the articles. Please let us know when we can expect to see these criteria.

Also, several weeks after our race, I said that next year's race in Longmont would be held Thursday 8/23 through Sunday 8/26. Can someone start a 2007 calendar and start adding the dates for races already being planned?

Thanks, Chris

alavoine jean paul

Post by alavoine jean paul » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:23 pm

Donald Campbell wrote: i own the community
do you?

P.S. : Sorry Donald I couldn't resist this.
jean paul aka POPOL:
"I was born yesterday...
but I stayed up all night!"

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:28 pm

POPOL wrote:

P.S. : Sorry Donald I couldn't resist you

hmmm you should be ashamed of yourself

hehehe

Detlef Rehbock
Dete

calendar please

Post by Detlef Rehbock » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:37 pm

Yes, thanks Chris. We need a Calendar for 2007

and hey vinzzz, i am german and not impatient

and i think first grenoble has to show a good event in 2007
and then they can held the euros in 2008

otherwise they are impatient.

keep cool, we are only a few. stay together.

Dete