[2007] Grenoble - Candidate for European Championship '07

European Races & Results (for Major, Main and Prime level races)

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Robert Thiele

Pierre Samray

Post by Pierre Samray » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:52 am

Hello Detlev. Grenoble will not organize anything in 2008. And think about Brixxleg which organize the "world" without experience this years. So the project is GRENOBLE EURO 2007

Philippe is back from his vacation and will annouce the project himself soon(or give us all the details).
just what I know about the 'media coverage is)
TV : Sport+, France 3 Grenoble and M6 will be there. ah sorry I don't know the word in english. "un plateau" with journalist, champion, interview is previous on the stadium.
RADIO : Europe 2 is partner with hundred of 30 secondes messages. (before and during) same with Europe 2 Geneve.
Several French, youth and skate magazine and Concrete wave for sure...
2000 Posters to distribution, hundreds of giant posters (1m20/1m80) to put in the city (official promotion in the city) 10000 flyers.
PS : Donald : Poster is a big picture you have to put everywhere when you organize a contest for people to understand what happen in their city...

PRICE MONEY : probably about 4000 euros, but not definitive.

I know Philippe never want to announce something before he'll be sure to have it. (well! I prefer that way as people who make promise and don't follow it!).

slalom on flat : For sure isn't the best, but the possibility to have an olympic stadium in a big Olympic city can be more interesting than a dusty street in a lost village even with 2% slope. and to answer Steve...A guy who isn't able to pump to the end of a flat slalom, maybe has to choose something different than a Euro championship to learn (outlaw or national race would be more adapted. What's do Dominik who is now a killer!)
The giant will be held on a bridge in the middle of the city: have you ever see that? (about 400 hundreds meters long and seems so fast at the start).

In fact : As in Paris it will be a "festival de la glisse" with lot of stands and animations. Some big associations will be there. Skate ramps, roller marathon which start and finish in the stadium, hockey and many other are previous. Live music during all the event.

More complete info coming soon.

I have to go to work now.

Best cheers, have fun

Steve Hinzen

same procedure as every year? know what you want.

Post by Steve Hinzen » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:09 am

Thank you for that further information, Pierre.
You wrote:
A gye who isn't able to pump to the end of a flat slalom, may be has to choice something different as an Euro championship to learn
Maybe better You select the riders. So far I understand you want to present slalom as a part of a big show. If so why not present it in the most attractive way? I think a good show of slalom racing is based on:

1. the best riders
2. the most spectacular courses

You could do an invitational race to make it attractive for such a big audience and worth looking at.

I wonder if a race presents itself sucessfully to the public if it is held in the same format as the Euros before. Why not qualify for a big race? Here the ISSA could come into play.

Detlef Rehbock
Dete

sounds good

Post by Detlef Rehbock » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:07 pm

hey pierre, that sounds really good. if you really organize these media coverage, it should be the european championship. i know how much work it is to find all these media partners.
hopefully it´s not a dream. at the moment i vote for grenoble.

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:15 pm

FYI ! There was already a race in Brixx before the worlds ! This race was also organised by Donald and showed the potential of Brixx.Skate park skating, Party, Bands playing, Lifetime award ceremony, slalom race, and money and schwag for the best racers !
This race had coverage in the concrete wave mag!

Guillaume Saint-Criq

Post by Guillaume Saint-Criq » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:57 pm

we can consider there was already a race in Grenoble before the Euros : it was Antibes

David Rudnianski
LTC
LTC

Post by David Rudnianski » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:24 pm

Guillaume Saint-Criq wrote:we can consider there was already a race in Grenoble before the Euros : it was Antibes
right ,same organiser.
French Pirates are in the place...
www.riderz.net
http://pirateslalom.online.fr/
Politic Longboard Activist...

alavoine jean paul

Post by alavoine jean paul » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:27 pm

Plus Grenoble is pretty central for the European skateboard slalom community (which is owned by noone in particular).
jean paul aka POPOL:
"I was born yesterday...
but I stayed up all night!"

Detlef Rehbock
Dete

ha, ha

Post by Detlef Rehbock » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:42 pm

i tought you are a teacher?
hey jean paul take a look on the map.
Hannover is in the middle of europe. think about the uk and scandinavia and latvia

and think about the autobahn. you can be very fast in hannover.
by the way. we wait for you next year.

greetz. dete

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:17 pm

No no no, STOCKHOLM is the center of the universe! At least that's what I've heard... BTW we have snow, can you compete with that?

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:21 pm

Gosh, no. Not even Switzerland's got snow yet (apart from the really top of the Alpes where you happen to find snow all year long). So you're saying Swedish Indoor Championships are coming?

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:23 pm

ok I'm back only for 5s.
Media plan estimation: 100 000€!

You should get some real information soon

But as every year we are at the same point, who can decide what is what? ISSA still doesn't exist!
[ www.pavel-skates.com ] [ www.riderz.net ]
"Dont care what the World say - I and I could a never go astray -Well wee gona have Things our Way" - Robert Nesta Marley

Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy
Jean-Sébastien
Jean-Sébastien

Post by Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:46 am

Some news about the Grenoble's race. We sent the rider's file to Claude Regnier about the status question. Now it's online :

http://www.descente.fr/data/Grenoble-Slalom2007.pdf
Donald Campbell wrote:M E D I A C O V E R A G E
Exactly Donald, as Pierre and Vinzzz said, the best reason why we want the Euros is the media coverage.
Because we know that the medias will like to have some germans, english, swedish, latvian riders to interview... so will make a good publicity to the event in addition to what the organizers and the city will do, and set up a real feeling of european challenge all the week-end. Grenoble is a good city for doing that.

I think that the event like it's presented now will be enough for a lot of riders interested to enter in a good competition... but maybe not enough to go beyond what we are organizing usually in slalom, i rather speak about french events.

So about that question, that is still important and has to be solved before Philippe can go farther, what can decide the ISSA ?

Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy
Jean-Sébastien
Jean-Sébastien

Post by Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:16 pm

Does someone have news about the choice of the 2007 ISSA European Championship ?

Organization doesn't know what to say to the medias and administrations about the participation on the event.
Like we said before, if we don't have response quickly we will have to cancel all the event... Thanks!

Guillaume Saint-Criq

Post by Guillaume Saint-Criq » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:36 pm

JS, you have to speek about that in this topic : viewtopic.php?t=4553

So there will be no event if you don't get Major status?
what about a Main like Antibes got this previous 3 years?

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:50 pm

i'll post my decision on brixlegg next wednesday.
if it happens again it will be embedded in a european bowl contest with all the worldwide coverage involved in that deal,not nationwide radio adverts.

js...no offense,just take it easy.
lets wait a few days and i'll show you my package for next year.

you top it,you get the euros.
that sounds fair,eh?

Jadranko Radovanovic

Post by Jadranko Radovanovic » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:57 am

JS, I think the ISSA will be ready 1.1.2007 too make the decision.

/J-Rad

Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy
Jean-Sébastien
Jean-Sébastien

Post by Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:34 am

If it's only question of comparaison between Donald's project and our...
Donald we are waiting for you !

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:26 pm

js i have to wait after xmas.the carhartt crew is stuck in london since 3 days now because of the bad weather situation.

Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy
Jean-Sébastien
Jean-Sébastien

Post by Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:33 pm

I received a phone call from the organizer today, didn't know what to tell him about the progression of the ISSA subject.
I really want to see that race, and now the organizer and his supports really need an answer about the status.
If the ISSA direction don't take decision they won't have the choice for your 2007 euros, because Grenoble will not take place.

Donald with Brix got the worlds, we just need a chance to set up the euros !

(and happy new year...)

Schaf

Post by Schaf » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:41 am

And what's going on ???

Just a little notice to brixlegg vs. grenoble: Maybe I do not know a lot about skateboarding, but I know something (also just a little) about IT.....and the brixlegg-homepage was not really a good advertisement for a world championship homepage...What I would like to say: You can find good and not so good things in each organisation (not only slalom-contests).

HUYNH BACH SAC Frédéric
Fred
Fred

Post by HUYNH BACH SAC Frédéric » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:37 am

I want to race at Brixlegg AND Grenoble, call it Euros championship if you want...
Podium or pavement... but PAVEL !

www.coneracing.com

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:19 pm

dear jean,pierre,jani,vince:
i withdraw the brixlegg euro-championships from my "to do" list for this year.
here are the reasons why:
grenoble will not happen if i take away the euro-title from them?
is this blackmail,or another attempt to make me look bad?
anyway,i'm not gonna produce a race when another race is cancelled because of my "intervention"
let me be the sportsman in this unlucky case and tell you that you can have your desired title for your championships in grenoble.

i was not really sure if i should repeat brixlegg anyway,there are a few reasons for that,but mostly i found the fact annoying that certain people did not hestitate to criticise the event before and after.
so the village with the dusty roads,somewhere in the alps,will not bother your plans this year.

i was stupid enough to flow all the money i received into the event and i even paid on top with my money and my health.now yo

besides that i want you to know what was the plan for this year,at least that is something i want you to know:
a combined event with adio as a second sponsor next to carhartt,holding a contest similar to the etnies european open.some of you know what that means on spectators and media.
coverage in very much different magazines across the world,mtv and eurosports featuring the event in question.
a huge starterfield also on the bowl contests,about 60-100 there too!
i also planned a death race.
the ski-timer-display is history now too.
the prize purse would have been the same as last year's for slalom and i even planned on inviting certain us-racers(paid ticket) over to the contest to make it big enough for the euros.
i could have gotten more money than last year,since the sponsors involved liked the results(especially the media coverage brixlegg had,even though it could have been more for my taste).
last year was 30.000 all in all,by the way.

i made my phone calls and explained to the folks involved my feelings towards the whole situation-see first sentences of the thread-and everybody wholeheartedly agreed on my decision.

so i leave the work to more experienced people now( iheard this often enough here) and wish you all the best of luck for your event.
i will not sponsor this event in any way,since i don't believe that flatland races are the future of this sport,but that is just my own interpretation of it.
maybe you are able to invite a few skateboard-companies to sponsor your event too?
who knows,you surely will.

please note that i'm not throwing stones in your direction,i'm trying to make it easy for you now,but i take the freedom to explain my decision and to show the package that is gone now.it would also be wrong to assume that my list for this year is a lie(that has been said about me here a couple of times)

my decision is final and a result of the procedures involved here.

on the other hand,i want to let you all know that i fully support this year's worlds and that my main focus of interest will shift across the ocean to marion's event and a few others made by people i call friends.

on sponsoring other events this year my decision is as follows:
dete
sam
cbark
jeff
marion
eddy
home grown stuff around the cologne düsseldorf area,there is something cooking...
henrik,if you got something cooking too i'll be there and help and support you!!!
you guys can take my word on this.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:01 pm

Grenoble sounds like a great location.

I know the area well.

Its easy for UK racers to get to, with direct flights and also the TGV via Paris. It does get VERY hot in the summer though.

Martin Drayton, Paul Price and I used to spend a lot of time in Les Deux Alpes nearby and in the summer we raced slalom down a main street there. It would be fun to go back.

I enjoyed Austria, but I do LOVE France. I feel at home there.

Good luck with the event.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:59 pm

Bummer.

rmn

Patrick Allan

Post by Patrick Allan » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:13 pm

:(

Guillaume Saint-Criq

Post by Guillaume Saint-Criq » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:13 am

it's really sad to read this lines. Fighting about statuses is a non-sense : we all want more good races like Brix' 2006 was, even if the status is basic, prime or main.

Status is not the first motivation for a racer to go to a race : maybe some of us race for money/points but most of us just want to skate in nice places and meet you all slalom skaters.

It's a pity to lost one European race for statuses fighting.

I want to race Brix 2007 :)

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:46 am

to all:
you can't expect a company to flow 30.000 euros into a contest and then tell them that this contest is not the biggest one in europe.
especially when we talk about slalom.
it is different in street or pool-skating,but not in this case we are talking about.
the sponsors involved(3 different skate companies) all think the same.
the discussion has been monitored by the right people in this case and the decision is cast.
the decision itself has not been driven by my side,but i support it and i am so through with being the bad boy who takes away something from others.
i had this discussion last year and i don't want it this year again.

the ranking system has been created and i played with open cards.
i do have a different vision of racing than the folks who organize grenoble.
i also have a different vision of marketing things in order to grow the sport.

the general vibe i heard from the sponsors was:" do we really have to compare brix to grenoble this year?",after they saw the package grenoble had to offer.

having worked a long time in the marketing field of skateboarding my answer was"no".
any other answer would have undermined my credibility i have with those folks.
it's simple as it is.

it's a bit of a bummer for me too not to make brix this year,but i see the sponsors asking themselves what is it good for if brix doesn't get the attention(in the ranking system,again) it is eligible too.
don't forget that brix had the best skate-mag coverage any contest has ever had-on pages featuring the event and also on print-runs.
but maybe we don't need those mags,since they are skate mags?

i tried to bring money and skateboard companies into the sport,but maybe this sport doesn't want it?
maybe flatland racing is the shiznit?

not for me.
i'm out...

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:55 pm

If it's really definitive it's sad - I hope at least you're thinking about 2008?

Differents solutions could have been envisaged (why not a separation between European title and Major status) and anyway nothing was lost for Brix!!

Donald I 'm really surprised. To me why to care about Grenoble or the Euros??
Euro could be European, and you could just organize the biggest World contest.
But if I got you, your sponsors care more about the ISSA association statuses (an association that still doesn't exist!!!) than media coverage and buzz around a great event!!
Seems crazy?? Since when skate companies care about institutions?

You know I don't like the idea to race on flat land (except perhaps for a side cyber-slalom race when it's raining) and you didn't know (??) I'm not an organizer of Grenoble . I help them when they ask as I can help you when you ask me.

So should we only organize one big contest a year? That's a pity.
[ www.pavel-skates.com ] [ www.riderz.net ]
"Dont care what the World say - I and I could a never go astray -Well wee gona have Things our Way" - Robert Nesta Marley

alavoine jean paul

Post by alavoine jean paul » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:49 pm

Vincent Berruchon wrote: Euro could be European,
That is if the the French vote yes to the referendum...

Just kidding again. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF U!
Last edited by alavoine jean paul on Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jean paul aka POPOL:
"I was born yesterday...

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:44 pm

Vincent Berruchon wrote: So should we only organize one big contest a year? That's a pity.
No, there's a lot of big contests out there. Stand Up Downhill Contests!

rmn

Dominik Kowalski

Foxy took on speed

Post by Dominik Kowalski » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:30 am

I wonder if one day your style could look like this ;)

<a href="http://www.pavel-skates.com" target="_blank" class="postlink">SEX, DRUGS & BACKSIDE ROCK'N'ROLL...</a>
keep on rollin'...

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Grenoble-European Championships 2007

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:34 am

Corky seems to be quite busy these days and with Donald pulling out his bid to host the European Championships of 2007 I believe we should award the event to the organisers of the Grenoble race the "Title of Host" of the 2007 European Championships.

No one else has stepped forward and the Grenoble group has waited long enough for a reply or commitment from ISSA.

Unless anyone has a problem (24 hours from this post) with this I am declaring Grenoble the host of the 2007 European Championships.

Sorry for the delay guys we needed to be fair and clear.

Sincerly,

Claude Regnier
ISSA
Many Happy Pumps!

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Re: Grenoble-European Championships 2007

Post by Pat Chewning » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:20 am

Claude Regnier wrote:Corky seems to be quite busy these days and with Donald pulling out his bid to host the European Championships of 2007 I believe we should award the event to the organisers of the Grenoble race the "Title of Host" of the 2007 European Championships.

No one else has stepped forward and the Grenoble group has waited long enough for a reply or commitment from ISSA.

Unless anyone has a problem (24 hours from this post) with this I am declaring Grenoble the host of the 2007 European Championships.

Sorry for the delay guys we needed to be fair and clear.

Sincerly,

Claude Regnier
ISSA
Can we have the organizers follow the process by filling out this form and sending it in to the ISSA?

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/ISSA/ ... cation.doc

Peter Klang
Klangster
Klangster

Post by Peter Klang » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:28 pm

Grenoble it is. No forms no bullshit. Let´s race.

All race status will be posted before the 1 of febuary 2007

Peace
PK

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Forms

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:16 pm

Peter,

Just read an e-mail from Corky and Thanks for stepping in to help out with the European Region.

As for the forms it is important that the Grenoble group fill out and send in the required info. It's the new procedure and will lend value to everything we are trying to do.

The group involved is one of the best around and will have no problem filling out the forms quickly.
Many Happy Pumps!

alavoine jean paul

Post by alavoine jean paul » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:27 pm

Peter Klang wrote: Peace
UNITY, LOVE AND HAVIN' FUN!
jean paul aka POPOL:
"I was born yesterday...

Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy
Jean-Sébastien
Jean-Sébastien

Post by Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:38 pm

All right, we sent the application form to Philippe.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Application!

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:46 pm

JS- as sonn as Corky receives the application he will send off the approval letter.

We need to have the form so the letter will include proper representation of the organizers as well as other info.

Thanks for everything and Good Luck with the event.

Hope to see you at Paris.
Many Happy Pumps!

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:17 am

Yes, European Championship is official. We are only awaiting the form to be sent in. And for all those who wants to have High status for their event in Europe this year 2007 have a look at this document...

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/ISSA/ ... cation.doc

As Peter explained above we will soon look over the 2007 season. It would be helpful with as much info as possible from the concerning organizers.

Gustavs Gailitis
Gustavs
Gustavs

JUNIOR GROUP

Post by Gustavs Gailitis » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:32 pm

I would like to know, are there will be a junior group into this year European championship?
If you want to upgrade your board,visit - http://www.coneracing.com/

http://fullbagskates.com/

http://www.slalomskaters.lv/ - Wheelbite Racing

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Re: JUNIOR GROUP

Post by Jani Soderhall » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:33 am

Gustavs Gailitis wrote:I would like to know, are there will be a junior group into this year European championship?
Yes, there will be a junior category in the European Championships 2007, Grenoble.
The plan is to let the top eight juniors qualify for the head-to-head final, so bring your friends too!

/Jani

Peter Klang
Klangster
Klangster

Post by Peter Klang » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:29 pm

JANI PLEASE CLEARIFY THE SURFACE IN GRENOBLE.
I heard we are to skate on soft running traks. If so the Euros will go to Göteborg in June.

Peace
PK

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:02 pm

Göteborg?
woweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
dang hot news!
count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Surface

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:10 pm

I hope the surface is not an actual track as in Track and Field surface. That won't work at all.

I tried that back in the early 80's and it was way too soft. I know when I tried the new track that was instaled here in Ottawa in the 90's then again a few years ago it is way too soft.

They are designed that way to lessen impact and add a little spring in your step.
Last edited by Claude Regnier on Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many Happy Pumps!

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:15 pm

pictured is a running track
i have never seen one which is done without shock-absorbing surface!

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:39 pm

Calm down boys, this is not a running track, this one was designed for ice skating, thus no soft stuff, just hard and smooth.

Let's have another event in Göteborg, but not the Euros this year.

/Jani

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:18 pm

But I heard it would be flat...bummer!

Although it's not Sweden but Switzerland that's famous for its mountains, there might still be a certain possibility that Göteborg might provide something called "slope"...can you confirm my assumption?

rmn

Peter Klang
Klangster
Klangster

Post by Peter Klang » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:31 pm

I hear what you are saying Jani, but it´s not your decision. Live with it.

Peace
PK

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:35 pm

Peter Klang wrote:I hear what you are saying Jani, but it´s not your decision. Live with it.

Peace
The choice for this Euro Championships was just made, but if you want to do a second Euro Championships this year. Cool. Do it on the same weekend!

Double peace.

/Jani

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:52 pm

Hm....so have I got you right then, can I choose where actually I want to defend my title in Straight Slalom?

rmn