[2007] Grenoble - Candidate for European Championship '07

European Races & Results (for Major, Main and Prime level races)

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Robert Thiele

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:20 pm

now,that is cool.then i prefer göteborg.they surely have everything on a slope.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:17 pm

Sloped tracks for president!

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:19 pm

Actually I organized the event last week, so its a little bit late. Hopefully you won't need to defend the title since straight slalom suck anyways. Be happy, smile and keep it forever! (hopefully!)

On another note, are we sure it's not jubber-tarmac. It would really kill the stoke with flatland-rubber-euros. Have anyone seen the stadium?

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Please sit down

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:09 pm

So here we go! That's the proof, it's totally flat. No chance that there is any kind of slope there since that stadium was built for - please correct me if I'm wrong - ice skating.

Rumor has it that the French have even bigger starting ramps that the Latvians....

rmn

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:18 pm

it is also said that the saturday evening finals will be nocturnal,so quit complaining ramon.
please always read the text first and then complain,if there is need for it.

Peter Klang
Klangster
Klangster

Post by Peter Klang » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:09 pm

Don’t get me wrong here, but is just me who think it’s kind of ironic to be riding flatland in the Alps…

Peace
PK

Steve Hinzen

soooo right!

Post by Steve Hinzen » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:02 pm

You're not the only one, Peter.
(imagine all those steep, long and empty roads nearby...)

Steve, in fear of flat slalom.

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:19 pm

Being part of what in Sweden is called the 'ironic generation', I'm looking forward to the event on flat ground. Or wait, was that irony in that sentence?

Perhaps there will be an official flatland EC and an unofficial nightsession on a hill? I always bring my timer, and Don seems to bring his startingramps where ever he is. Are you game?

Ramon, where did you find the picture and info?

David Rudnianski
LTC
LTC

Post by David Rudnianski » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:23 pm

Marcus Seyffarth wrote:Ramon, where did you find the picture and info?

First info and pictures are here: http://www.descente.fr/data/Grenoble-Slalom2007.pdf

For myself, I have not such experience as you guys in slalom skateboarding. I don't care about flat or slop race, I love both ( like evrything else in skateboarding...). I don't know how it will realy look likes, but I think that slalom skate could be easily promoted in a larger event, mix with concert and a lot of other " extrem" sports better known than our, specialy for an important race. I don't know how it was in the past decades but why do not try? ( In Grenoble or anywhere else, but right now Grenoble looks thrue my eyes as the more advanced project...)

ps: Can we have more Info about Goteborg? btw was that the place were the bowlrider took place this year?
French Pirates are in the place...
www.riderz.net
http://pirateslalom.online.fr/
Politic Longboard Activist...

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:44 pm

Steve Hinzen wrote:You're not the only one, Peter.
(imagine all those steep, long and empty roads nearby...)

Steve, in fear of flat slalom.

It would be a shame we never set a wheel on one of those roads! I guess they are 10% and more!

"The search for the Holy Road!"

rmn

Dominik Kowalski

Post by Dominik Kowalski » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:09 pm

Ramón Königshausen wrote:"The search for the Holy Road!"
Keep on rolling, hell could be flat !
<a href="http://www.pavel-skates.com" target="_blank" class="postlink">SEX, DRUGS & BACKSIDE ROCK'N'ROLL...</a>
keep on rollin'...

David Rudnianski
LTC
LTC

Re: soooo right!

Post by David Rudnianski » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:55 pm

Steve Hinzen wrote: empty roads
Just a dream.... one of France most touristic region....
www.riderz.net

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:58 pm

But also one of France's - if not the most - hilly regions....

rmn

David Rudnianski
LTC
LTC

Post by David Rudnianski » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:01 pm

Righ, but Grenoble region is totaly flat, at the bottom of the Alps ;)...
www.riderz.net

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:15 pm

However, all we wanted to imply is that it is...not so appropriate to run a European Championship on a flat surface...It is even unnatural in some kind to skateboard on a flat surface....

"Gravity does not pull me down, it drives me froward."

Curious to see the outcoming of this event. Put it on. Nothing verntured, nothing gained - right?

rmn

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:07 am

Slalom on flat has historically been a very common thing in Europe. Downhill was used mostly to be able to do GS with long turns where the pumping factor could not generate enough speed. Going downhill is a good thing for beginners so they don't have to be able to know how to pump. Flat is really what brings out the best of the pumping skills. But in the end there are different slalom skills and they are equally needed on the scene: Speed skills, Pump skills, Turning skills, Physic skills, Mental skills, Experience/race skills, Material skills, aso

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:12 pm

Fun-factor-skills...

rmn

Detlef Rehbock
Dete

skills

Post by Detlef Rehbock » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:12 am

the evolution in our sports goes forward. flatland slalom is old school.
when i organised the 2006 hannover race, it was only an emergency solution,
to go on a flat parking lot, because they cancelled our expo party.

flatland slalom is out for most of the skaters. it´s way more fun to race on a slope.
it´s faster so it´s more exciting for spectators too. sure it´s possible but i prefer to look forward. trucks are getting more radikal. wheels get more grip. boards have concave now, so the standing is better. our sport goes faster. don´t stop it on a flat course.

sorry for last year. there was no other possibility for us. this year we turn back to expo area.

Schaf

Post by Schaf » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:24 am

I'm a silent observer of this topic. I won't write anything about my opinion to the flat-land skating, because I won't participate at the Euro.
But if I would be in the OK of Grenoble, I would ask me, if it is a good idea to organize a contest with such number of negative feedbacks. And the feedbacks come from the best riders...as far as I know them.

Detlef Rehbock
Dete

to the organizers of grenoble

Post by Detlef Rehbock » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:36 pm

o.k. we read a lot of topics to the the discussion about flat races.
last year we had a flat race in hannover and we had a lot of fun at this weekend.
you write about tv coverage, radio, print advertising and about an olympic stadium, about
other attractions and good surface.

this are a lot of reasons to go to grenoble. slalom skateboarding is a small event, even if it has big names like european championship or world cup or whatever

your programm sounds good. enough reasons to go to grenoble. don´t think about not organising this event. i will come to grenoble and compete there. and to all the negatives, try to make your own event and see how much work it is. a new city to skate. yes.

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:23 pm

Schaf wrote:I'm a silent observer of this topic. I won't write anything about my opinion to the flat-land skating, because I won't participate at the Euro.
But if I would be in the OK of Grenoble, I would ask me, if it is a good idea to organize a contest with such number of negative feedbacks. And the feedbacks come from the best riders...as far as I know them.
Shaf is would listen to every people whinning on the forum it's long time that organizers would have stop organizing anything.
In this case the context has been bad from the beginning, it's time to get positive now please!

We had races on flat every year, for example in Hannover, Dusseldorf, Antibes, in Sweden (only because of the rain),.. Latvia was near to be flat
and sometimes it was even not announced and organization approximative!
but we were there and had some fun too
I prefer hills for sure.
but if every other races are only on hills it's not so bad to have one event presenting races on flat especially when it's included in a good organization package: giant slalom, big media covergae, big show with animations in a nice city where it's easy to come, parties and big hills just near to go skate!!!
so
GRENOBLE WILL BE
and they need your support too
[ www.pavel-skates.com ] [ www.riderz.net ]
"Dont care what the World say - I and I could a never go astray -Well wee gona have Things our Way" - Robert Nesta Marley

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:47 pm

Schaf wrote:I would ask me, if it is a good idea to organize a contest with such number of negative feedbacks. And the feedbacks come from the best riders...as far as I know them.
I think all the negative feedback comes from a small group of skaters, some which are good, but not at all representative of the best. It also happens that Donald, who was the maybe the most critical was in competition over this years Euro Championships location, so you need to take that into account.

I agree with Detlef, let's go! If this event is a success, then we have better chances to influence and improve for the coming years. At least what we have here is an event organizer with experience in event organization and media contacts. That's more than most events can offer.

See you all in Grenoble in September!

/Jani

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:30 pm

Okay, okay you're right.

And Detlef, you don't have too feel sorry for that. We know the reasons why you didn't have any other choice. Normally an event like that (expo) whould not be cancelled, so in your case it's surely bad luck. I'm looking forward to this year's Major competition at your town!

Maybe one last beg: Please make the Tight Slalom TIGHT so that it can be dignified being flat.

rmn

Schaf

Post by Schaf » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:25 pm

Detlef, Vinzzzz, Jani...please don't understand me wrong. I don't want the organizer to cancel the event in Grenoble. In my opinion the feedback in this forum results in pressure to convince all the negative thinking people....for my skating experience flat or slope both is a challenge. ;-)
Due to I won't compete I will stay as a silent observer and do not post my comments...I don't want to cause confusion. I'm sorry

Detlef Rehbock
Dete

silent?

Post by Detlef Rehbock » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:39 am

hey schaf, if you like this sport, don´t be silence.
say what you think. we all only discuss our sport.

hey ramon, where do you read, that hannover is the major event?

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:43 am

hey dete good morning
here: viewtopic.php?t=4796

Hans Lucas
1963-2014 (RIP)

Re: skills

Post by Hans Lucas » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:43 am

Detlef Rehbock wrote:the evolution in our sports goes forward. flatland slalom is old school.
when i organised the 2006 hannover race, it was only an emergency solution,
to go on a flat parking lot, because they cancelled our expo party.

flatland slalom is out for most of the skaters. it´s way more fun to race on a slope.
it´s faster so it´s more exciting for spectators too. sure it´s possible but i prefer to look forward. trucks are getting more radikal. wheels get more grip. boards have concave now, so the standing is better. our sport goes faster. don´t stop it on a flat course.

sorry for last year. there was no other possibility for us. this year we turn back to expo area.
I support all types of TS slalom; from "flat on 1.50m" (or less!) to "2m50 on a steep hill".
In my opinion, a good TS slalom skater should have no difficulties with any variety, just preferences. If I'm sure I don't have a chance to make a certain run, I'll just go watch and film the other skaters who are apparently better than me. Maybe I can learn from them!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

just wondered...

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat May 19, 2007 4:17 pm

Hi guys,
Is this event definately happening? I understand everyone is probably busy with all the events in between now and then, but I have to plan waaaaay ahead, so I am looking at Grenoble (I know the town pretty well too which helps).
Is there a website with info on events, confirmed locatons, accomodation etc.?
Looking forward to a reply whenever anyone gets a chance...Enjoy Paris!

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Re: just wondered...

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sun May 20, 2007 12:28 pm

Martin Drayton wrote:Hi guys,
Is this event definitely happening?
It's on. Last time I spoke with Philippe at Désaxé he was busy running the last part of their Snowboard series. He said that they'll soon start working on updating their website www.desaxe.com so that we could have some more race info.

I assume we'll meet him at Trocadero next weekend and discuss some more. Vincent should know more than me because I think they had a meeting less than a month ago, which I couldn't attend.

/Jani

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

No hurry...

Post by Martin Drayton » Tue May 29, 2007 10:04 pm

When you guys have had your well-deserved rest after what must have been an organisational nightmare with the rain, will you let us know if anything was said by Mr.Desaxe about Grenoble?
Thanks,
martin

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed May 30, 2007 10:21 am

Philippe Galindo from Désaxé is extremely positive about the event and told us bits and pieces about the plans. Here's a few details that I recall:

- Standing in the rain at Trocadero, the most important might be that he has secured an indoor site in case of rain.

- One of the Paris slalomers had been there the other week and said that the surface of the outdoor place is probably the best he has ever skated.

- He was there a normal weekend and the place was packed with people. It's apparently a popular place to hang out and relax when the weather is nice.

- The local shopowners moved their annual market from June to September this year in order to bring even more people to the event. They'll be doing their market around the Giant slalom area, which should help us get a nice crowd there.

- The GS is not so steep. Good for some, less good for others.

- The official site www.desaxe-skateslalom.com should be up in a week or so.

- Media coverage has been secured. Philippe has very good connections in media and marketing, so rest assured that those sides have been covered.

/Jani

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Wed May 30, 2007 4:42 pm

I talked a bit with Philippe and the event is really promising.
We are still amateurs organizers in Paris, but Grenoble will be a PRO organization with a lot of animations and medias.
If this edition work fine, we can hope for some other spots with slopes next year.
"Dont care what the World say - I and I could a never go astray -Well wee gona have Things our Way" - Robert Nesta Marley

Peter Klang
Klangster
Klangster

Post by Peter Klang » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:27 pm

Rumours around the camp fire are a boycott of the race if the courses don’t get more interesting. 1,90 m straight on flat. That will tickle my balls……not.

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Really?

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:50 pm

Peter Klang wrote:Rumours around the camp fire are a boycott of the race if the courses don’t get more interesting. 1,90 m straight on flat. That will tickle my balls……not.
Where did the 1.90m rumour come from? Seeing as the French are organising doesn't that seem a little unlikely? It was 1.80 on a slope at Paris, if anything won't they go tighter....1.70m ?

ps.Hope you get your balls tickled in Stockholm ;)

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Re: Really?

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:16 pm

Martin Drayton wrote:Where did the 1.90m rumour come from?
I'd like to know too!
Are your balls made of crystal Peter?
... humm... better stop looking at them like that, they are not! :P

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:16 pm

1.90, 1.80 - it doesn't matter. Both is dead boring...

rmn

David Rudnianski
LTC
LTC

Post by David Rudnianski » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:17 pm

so much shit talking... desesperatly...
www.riderz.net

Peter Klang
Klangster
Klangster

Post by Peter Klang » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:40 pm

Are your balls made of crystal Peter?
Vinzz, how did you know?

Where did the 1.90m rumour come from? Seeing as the French are organising doesn't that seem a little unlikely? It was 1.80 on a slope at Paris, if anything won't they go tighter....1.70m ?
Yo Martin, hope your right.

I always get my balls tickled hope you dont get yours tackled:-)

If it wasen´t any truth to this rumours, then it should not have had all your comments. I know that was bad english, shit. Well give us the plans and stick by em. Then we´ll all come. There is a chance many will rather go to NC, it´s the same cost as Grenoble.

See this as a helping hand rather than fucking with you. Whish is fun to do also. We all want a great experiance in the French alps (France bieng one of my favorit places on earth), not wanking flatland.

and Jani do not censur this post please.

Peace
Ramos

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:33 pm

Peter,

As far as I know no discussion has taken place among the organizers as to the exact distance for the straight slalom, so I really do think it's a rumour.

But here's a deal in which you are part of shaping the future:
No matter what distance we set, if you hit more than 5 cones, we'll add 10 cm for next years race. It's a deal?

If we'd had done that deal with skaters in Paris this year, the future distance would be at least 20 cm more than this year!

If I would have censored your post (did I ever?), there wouldn't have remained much content.

/Jani

Peter Klang
Klangster
Klangster

Post by Peter Klang » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:55 pm

The censuring past would be do to my language, second, great if the romurs are falls, then we don´t have to worry. I have an idé, lets add 10 cm for each cone knocked down in a racers first run in his/her second run.

Jani, are you comming to GBG?

Love
PK

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:38 am

Peter Klang wrote:Jani, are you comming to GBG?
I wish I was, but I can't come. I hope you'll all have a great time there!

/Jani