[2003][Paris] Pictures & films

European Races & Results (for Major, Main and Prime level races)

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Robert Thiele

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

[2003][Paris] Pictures & films

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:39 pm

There's a lot of pictures and possible films on the net from the Paris World Cup 2003. Let's have pics, films and links gathered at one place. Maybe a good idea for all other competitions and events as well.

Homepage of Paris World Cup 2003

Media players
For playing films you need a media player. Sometimes you may need a new version.

Free downloads...
Real media homepage.
Quicktime homepage.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:49 pm

Here are some short films edited from the competition. They are heavily compressed. Sorry for that. I'm planning to put all the three together with good quality on a CD later on if there is any interest. I have reduced format to 240x180 to get a little bit better video quality.

These films will need the "RealOne player"! If it doesn't work with your current "Real media player" download a new one with the link above.

Corky Paris film part 1 2Mb 240x180.
Corky Paris film part 2 1.5Mb 240x180.
Corky Paris film part 3 1.6Mb 240x180.

Have fun!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hans Koraeus on 2003-06-18 20:21 ]</font>

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:10 pm

This is one of the best pics from the competition I have seen so far.

Jean-Paul Alavoine, France (left),
Bruce Brewington, USA (right)

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:17 pm

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:41 pm

Corky Paris film part 2 is now up for download. See original film post above.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:59 pm

Corky’s videos.

“Fun and funny” says Good Morning Vietnam.

The Voice of North Korea calls it “one of the best slalom films those capitalist pigs could ever produce…despite compressing the shit out of it!”

Cuba’s “The Real Cigar” gives it two thumbs up.

“Hilarious, yet sexy” says Belarus Democracy.

Latvian “Humanitarian” calls the special slalom footage “best in years!”

“Spectacular crashes. Good angles. Ok camera work. Fair editing. Bad music” – London Tribune.

"Bad (slalom) madicine is all I need" - Bon Jovi.

“That Luca guy…is he for real?” US video producer Ken Mollica

“I look good!” John Gilmour, the star of the show.

Looking forward to part III.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:42 pm

Corky Paris film part 3 is now up for download. See original film post above.

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:50 pm

The third links for the third video is wrong...
But you can guess it:
http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/Movie ... WC2003c.rm

Wouldn't it be possible to get these videos in a better quality?

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:07 am

I talked to Corky today and he almost finished making a compilation of the three into a higher quality movie. This one will be sold for a low price to those that want a copy on a CD, so yes you can expect it soon.
We'll probably sell this and more importantly the videos (especially the Paris DVD) of Kenny Mollica on ConeRacing.com, so stay tuned.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:28 am

I have fixed the link above for the third video. Sorry about that. That's the way it goes when you copy and paste.

I compressed them a lot so that they wouldn't take too long to download. As Jani mentioned I have now an uncompressed version where the three parts are included. I will bring it to Grüningen and with some chance we will be able to show it on a big screen. :smile:

For a final version on CD I'm waiting to be able to add some GS footage and some nice pics.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:41 am

I can not even view any of the clips, unless I upgrade my Mac to OS 10. It would help if this footage can be made into .mpgs. Then people can watch them on the media player of their choice.
If .mpgs won’t be made, oh well. I will see Mollica’s footage sometime.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:53 pm

When I come home after Grüningen I might do a quicktime version as well.

Wha-d-ya say about that?

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:34 pm

Hans, if it is compatible with quicktime 5, that would be great!

Good luck with the Grüningen event. It looks awesome.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:17 pm

Awesome Video Hans. Really a pleasure to watch. Thanks, TK

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:26 pm

Thanks TK,

I brought along a full version to Grüningen but there was no opportunity to show it on big screen as I had hoped. I showed it for Jani on the hotel TV though and he was very impressed.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:21 pm

I just watched Kenny Mollicas DVD from Paris and all I can say is that it is EXCELLENT!

Easily the best skateboard video I've ever seen.

If you don't own a copy buy one now! This one is definitely worth owning. (If you live in France, I have a few copies to sell, if you live in the USA or elsewhere in the world, mail Mollica at kennym1@sbcglobal<dot>net.)

He also has DVD's of all the FCR races 2002 including the best of them all the FCR World Championships 2002.

Why do I always make at least one mistake in every post I do? I h#te these Edit remarks.
Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:44 am

At least you proof read your work :smile:

Some of my posts have a trail of edit remarks so I have to go back and edit those.

I even had to edit this one to make the smiley work.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Gilmour on 2003-06-30 18:45 ]</font>

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:04 am

Hey finally the Paris report on sk8mag.de is online. Nice pics too!

http://www.sk8mag.de/contests/paris03/

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:08 am

Better late than never they say. Look what I found in my drawer. A short little coverage from Paris World Cup 2003.

It was 8 years since the last slalom competition at Trocadéro in Paris just by the foot of the impressive Eiffel Tower. There was a lot of hype and nostalgia at this race. Problems with timer cables and rain during the competition just couldn't stop that great feeling you get at certain happenings. It could have rained all weekend and we would still have left the place with a smile on our lips.

Plastic protection was laid down over the course but helped little. The Saturday race day had to be cancelled.

But the rain couldn't stop people from battling it out. Here are Dan and Corky in the finals.

The Americans had come over with a strong team with great expectations and lived up to it. The Italians came with Luca that hadn't skated since Paris 1995. The expectations on Luca were even higher and he managed to live up to it as well. The Swedish team had absolutely no expectations. Jani wasn't supposed to skate at all in the pro class and the other team members were a bunch of blank amateur cards. Jani finally laid down some last minute runs but never got it together. This time it was the Swedish amateurs that stood up with the great stuff. 2 first places and 2 second places and Sweden became best amateur nation. Most likely it was the biggest competition surprise.

Mollica, Luca and Vlad were some of those who picked top places and were awarded with the nicest trophies seen in a long, long time.

The national surprise team from Sweden: Jani, Marcus Seyffarth, Pelle Gustafsson, Henrik Borggren and Corky.

After the Saturday rain everybody went on to take on Paris by night whether it was party, French food or just plain sleeping to get in shape for Sunday racing. With one day short it would be a tight day. Everybody was eager to get going. The last spots of rain on the course were dried up with a blowing machine.

"Everybody was eager to get going"

Kenny Mollica and Bruce Brewington supervising the drying machine. Kenny was especially concerned and has probably had first hand experience of what water spots on a slalom course might produce.

Sunday races could finally get started and Luca showed that he still mastered his old board. Kenny Mollica, John Gilmour and Vlad Popov were dreaming of a chance to beat a half awakened Luca. And though this dream will be saved for later it wasn't that far away, especially in giant slalom where Luca was just 1/100 of a second ahead of Kenny. There where many new French locals showing up. Mostly amateurs but that will change in a couple of years. Switzerland is otherwise the big nation in European skateboard slalom for the moment.

Luca was quick to get back his old style and speed.

Vlad was doing his best to catch up. He was well prepared for the Paris race and did very well.

Jani on the other hand was not well prepared for this race. Being on home turf he was too much involved in practical things around the competition.

Jani on the other hand was not well prepared for this race.

Chris Eggers showing that he still knows his way through a slalom course.

Two old boys showing off: Chris Eggers and Jani Söderhäll. A third one, Gianluca Ferrero, is lurking in the background.

If Luca was the king, winning all in the Pro class then Marcus Seyffarth was the prince, doing extremely well in the Amateur class. With one first place and two second places he became the best overall rider in the AM's. His first international competition couldn't have ended much better. For Simon Levene the day couldn't have ended much worse. The bail of the day in the straight pro tight slalom by him made it necessary for an ambulance call. In the end no hospital visit was needed but the arm and shoulder was in great pain.

Marcus Seyffarth made an excellent first international appearance at Paris World Cup 2003.

Levene going strong. He didn't yet know what awaited him.

Levene just about to find out what it was that awaited him.

There are so many things happening on a competition to be able to tell in this little article. Dan Gesmer was a great help with the timing administration. His spreadsheets are used on many slalom competitions. The French people of Riderz also worked well to pull this event off. A new era of skateboard slalom at Trocadero have just started. For more info and comments from everybody who was there have a look at these forum topics...

Paris results
Paris first impressions

Who will not remember the great views at Trocadero.

Everybody in a last farewell to Trocadero and Paris World Cup 2003 for this time. But it will not be long before they will be back - rest assured!

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:57 am

Thanks for the memories Hans, great photos!
Paris was one of the highlights of the year, really looking forward to more races in Paris and more scary footbrakes for me at the end of fast Trocadero courses.......

David Rudnianski
LTC
LTC

Post by David Rudnianski » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:41 pm

hi;

yeah great pics!

This was my first slalom event, it was so good...

We are making a video of it, I'll post it in few days....

Since this event, we're 3 new slalom skateboarders between 15 and 17, skating every week at Trocadero....

I hope that 2004 pswc will be good to!
French Pirates are in the place...
www.riderz.net
http://pirateslalom.online.fr/
Politic Longboard Activist...