Downhill Race - Bogart, Georgia

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Downhill Race - Bogart, Georgia

Post by Rick Stanziale » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:40 pm

Saturday, November 6, 2004

11:00 am - ???

Trade Street, Bogart, Georgia

Fastest elapsed time through speed trap

$5 to enter, winner take all

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:40 pm

hhmmm nope should be skating the arkansas parks this weekend. Oh well maybe next one.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:06 pm

I just checked the weather for Saturday in Bogart: high of 62, not a cloud in the sky and probably low humidity. Might be a slight chance of a good breeze with that strong of a high pressure system coming in, but that's not a big deal for downhilling.

I figure that around 11:00 AM the temp should be in the mid '50s and go up from there by mid afternoon.

A PERFECT day for skating.

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:28 pm

leather weather :D

good chance the breeze will be a tailwind

I was out there last night with Patio & Ryan, looking forward to some good old fashioned skate boarding. We've got about a dozen people committed to racing, and probably a few spectators in tow. If I can get a handle on attendance by tomorrow afternoon, I'll have the Mean Bean cater lunch on the hill.

BTW...we often have police drive through while we're skating, happened during the Friday night GS and happened again last night. They are practically enthusiastic to see us out there.

Christian Simsuangco

Post by Christian Simsuangco » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:01 pm

yo siX you know if i wasn't strapped i'd be down there. light one up, drink a pabst, and swallow a sword for me.
ride or die motha trucka.

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:56 pm

Christian Simsuangco wrote:yo siX you know if i wasn't strapped i'd be down there. light one up, drink a pabst, and swallow a sword for me.
needless to say, there was no sword swallowing......there was a wakeup call that slalom speeds rarely exceed 30mph (super g in morro bay the one that may have qualified as 30mph+)

speeds topped out just under 35mph with an unlimited push start......just before we pulled up the tape switches I got towed in to the hill at 30mph and managed to top 40mph (just by a hair) through the speed trap

40mph is a blur compared to 30mph, I can honestly say I have never gone 40mph on a skateboard before, though I look forward to 45 and 50 (as soon as I can hook up with some leathers)

kudos to Wes Tucker for putting a vintage 28" Ick flattie through the paces all day long and to Brad Elfman for bringing the Landyachtz dropped deck

here's the final standings and a pic (you can see more at http://www.georgiaskater.com )......

1. Byron Hall 1.726 sec (34.76 mph)
2. 66 1.772 sec (33.86 mph) (1.459 towed in / 40.11 mph)
3. Patio 1.859 sec
4. Jason Thrasher 1.901 sec
5. Quint Lumpkin 1.941 sec (1.774 buttboard)
6. Josh 1.972 sec
7. Ryan King 1.982 sec
8. Wesley Tucker 2.053 sec (29.23 mph)

and as always, thanks to the Mean Bean for some damn fine burritos

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:05 pm

Rick,

Yesterday was an absolute blast. I got home last night around 9:00 and was stoked til midnight. I can't imagine a more perfect day for skating: November 6 and by 2:00 everyone was stripping off sweatshirts to cool off.

In the interest of full disclusure, I'd like to take a little time to explain my pathetic and miserable times. I'll be honest: I was a bit of a wussie when I got to the hill. I haven't bombed a hill full on since 1989 and seeing Trade Street got me to thinking . . . hard. Although it only took me about an hour and 5 or 6 runs to get comfortable again in a tight "Hut-tuck," I had real trepidations about hitting the trip switch and 30+ miles an hour. That took another couple of hours of free riding to finally get over.

Anyway, I finally posted 5 times through the speed trap. Again, I was a wuss and worked my way "up" the hill getting more and more acceleration with each run. Over the course of five runs, I think I improved rather well:

4.2 sec (@14 MPH) (yeah, I know, hardly worth mentioning.)
3.6 sec (@16 MPH)
2.6 sec (@ 23 HPH. A full 1.5 sec off my first time.)
2.1 sec (@28 MPH: finally starting to get somewhere.)
2.05X sec (@29.5 MPH. Cut my first time in half. That much to the 30-mile an hour club.)

At that point I was tired. Exertional breathing is still not a whole lot of fun for me and I pretty much maxed out. Five straight runs wasn't all that much, but five straight hikes back up the hill and I was spent. Not to mention numerous hikes earlier in the day. So all in all I'm not disappointed: from nothing to ALMOST 30 MPH in four hours. Also, I never did "bomb" the hill from way up on the flat where everyone else was starting. I was still very cautious and just "dropped" in from the last transition into the longest downhill stretch heading into the trap. I'm pretty sure if I got my "skate legs" back and felt a little more comfortable at speed I'd get over the 30-mph hump without too much regret.

Oh, y'all missed it watching 66 get towed in. He was BLAZING at the bottom of the hill when he hit 40-MPH. That was was one for the ages. At the bottom of the hill it starts to go back up on the other side. All day most skaters were going up that second hill about half way and bleeding off all their speed. Rick went to the TOP and still had to put his foot down to quit moving. He definetely went over the edge pushing that last run.

Thanks to Rick and Mrs. 66 for the Red Clay racing shirt, the burritoes and inviting everyone in for the day. If he does it again in December, I'll be back. It's more than worth the trip.

I just wish he'd come up with thousands of dollars for a WIRELESS timing system :-)

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

40mph

Post by Rick Stanziale » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:21 pm

Thanks for coming WT......I'll never forget that my racing career began late one night in a bus terminal on a rainy South Carolina night just a few years back......

the proof is in the pudding (or in this case, the Trakmate)

We're having an "official" groundbreaking for the new skatepark sometime in December, I'll throw a tight slalom race in the freshly paved parking lot if I can generate enough interest.