[2005] World Championships - Accommodation

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

[2005] World Championships - Accommodation

Post by Paul Price » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:59 pm

This topic is for accommodation issues for the World Campionships September 2005

Where is everyone staying?

What are the best deals?

Who has floor space?

Who is renting a house?

When are you arriving?

Did someone rent a house - is there any space available?

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

A little place by the sea...

Post by Martin Drayton » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:16 am

Great idea for a forum Paul!
Julie, Maya and I are renting a little place we found through a vacations rental Co. and is perfect for our purposes and is just near the Embarcardero. We fly in Tuesday, grab a rental car and leave Tuesday (Monday is our little family holiday!).
We figured that having the facilities to cook outweighed the fact that a Hotel is cheaper...Also, I didn't want to be responsible for someone not sleeping if Maya decided to have a vocal night ;)

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

Post by Paul Price » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:14 pm

Nice one Martin,

Myself and others are waiting to see what the discount accommodation at Morro will be.

I am lucky to have enough airmiles to get to LA, so I have some extra cash to play with.

For others affordable accommodation for slalom week will mean the difference between making the trip or not.

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Motel Buddy

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:16 pm

Thanks Paul for the topic
I'm also searching for a place to sleep in Moro Bay or the area.
So I'm searching for someone to share a room in a motel in Morro Bay
or an rented house to share with others skaters ;)
[ www.pavel-skates.com ] [ www.riderz.net ]
"Dont care what the World say - I and I could a never go astray -Well wee gona have Things our Way" - Robert Nesta Marley

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

Post by Paul Price » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:34 pm

Any news on lodging?

Jack Wrote on 16 August:

"16 Aug 2005 17:20 Pleasant Inn
Let Marcus know you are coming for the race. He has always been good to skaters in the past. I'll post more on lodging in the next day or so.

Pleasant Inn
235 Harbor
805-772-8521 "

I called the Inn on 17th August but Marcus no longer works there. Room availabilty and rates were not great.

I have had three people ask me about Morro (Pat, Matt and Jim) - they want to go but need to know how much it will cost. They know what the airfare is but a week of accommodation is what really concerns them.

www.daysinn.com currently has twin rooms for $135 a night at Morro.

Did anyone rent a house? is there spare room in it?

Will they get a pick up from the airport and to the race venues or should they try to rent a car?

Have you heard anything Vince? I can't believe it's less than 3 weeks to Morro!

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

Post by Paul Price » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:41 pm

Also on trip to worlds forum it was written:

16 Aug 2005 05:07 Morro Bay rooms
the Motel 6 in Morro Bay is clean, and quiet, and $38.00 a night for a pair of beds.

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:16 pm

Paul Price wrote:Also on trip to worlds forum it was written:

16 Aug 2005 05:07 Morro Bay rooms
the Motel 6 in Morro Bay is clean, and quiet, and $38.00 a night for a pair of beds.
If there is someone to share a room with me in this hotel, let's go... You're right Paul, we have to hurry up
"Dont care what the World say - I and I could a never go astray -Well wee gona have Things our Way" - Robert Nesta Marley

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

Post by Paul Price » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:54 pm

Hi Vince,

I already agreed to share a place with Eddie - we just need to find the best place!

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:49 pm

Paul Price wrote:Hi Vince,
I already agreed to share a place with Eddie - we just need to find the best place!
I know Paul, it's why I'm searching for someone else ;)

but I'm really wondering: is everybody boycotting?
are europeans really welcome? or this is just not the good forum?

I have to pay the biggest part of taxes ("impots" in french) in september, and in fact more than what I was expecting
so if I cannot be sure I can arrange to find cheap accomodations I will have to cancel :(

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Boycott

Post by Jack Smith » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:44 pm

Vincent wrote:

but I'm really wondering: is everybody boycotting?
are europeans really welcome?

If there is some kind of boycott happening, this is very sad.

Of course Europeans are welcome!

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Re: Boycott

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:54 am

Jack Smith wrote:Vincent wrote:
If there is some kind of boycott happening, this is very sad.
It was not so serious about the boycot, a way to say, but probably not the good one.
I didn't want to worry you, sorry.
In fact, from what I know it's just about money :(

Peter Klang
Klangster
Klangster

Post by Peter Klang » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:38 pm

Jack,
There is no boycott, believe me. Everyone who’s anything on a skateboard would kill for a trip to Morro, but Finance has its limits, even for us rich Europeans. I think one of the problems are, as I addressed three month ago, the World being to close to Antibes. All Europeans know Antibes in september and believed the Worlds was in October like in 2004 and so on.

If Luca, Strobel, Macster, Ramón, Chris hart, Heiko, Bauman, Janis Kuzmin and other top Europeans would get a hint of what kind of prize purse is waiting in California, maybe that would givet them the incentives to make the trip. But what do I know I’m the idiot who belived Mark.

Cheerio
PK

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Prize Purse

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:34 pm

Peter!

If everyone is so worried about the size of the prize purse being announced before making a descision then how do they really expect the Show to go on!

Sorry, I thought that were doing Slalom, putting on events to try and grow the sport. Politics and Bull@#$% ruin everything that is fun.

We have a solid field Worldwide of Pro's, Amateurs and yes even kids. That's what we need at the Worlds.

Supposeddly the biggest ans most important event of the Year. Waiting for the size of Prize money to decide if your going is a Self-centered and irresponsible slap in the face to everyone everywhere Worldwide.

I say this hoping that we can continue to grow the sport so
prize purses will grow in the future. I'm still hoping to find a way to make it to Morro. That seems unlikely at this point.

I've been to every event possible past year Thanks to my Business Parter and Sweetheart. It's not sitting pretty with either of us that we won't make the trip to the most important race of the year but that's the way the ball bounces.

So send some e-mails and make some phone calls and get some those guys over here. If they really care they'll be here. If they want bigger prize purses, they'll be there. If they want to be at the Biggest and Best Slalom event of the year they will be there.

It's the biggest and best to continue the drive for future development of the Sport. those kids we all love and spend time encouraging need us for thei future oppurtunities. If some people don't make effort then it could just die like it did before. Not because the industry shut it down but because the riders themselves got egotiscal and self-centered.

Someone from Canada please try to make it will you. I don't think it's possible for me this time around!

Good Luck to all. C-You next season.
Many Happy Pumps!

Peter Klang
Klangster
Klangster

Post by Peter Klang » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:14 pm

Claude,
Please don´t get me wrong. I´m sure we share the same view on this, I just put it like it is. The Guy´s can´t efford both races the same month. If they thought Morro hade some cash opportunities waiting, they mite choose to cross the Atlantic, rather then spending a weekend on the Riviera. It´s really simple math. Antibes= 200-300 USD, Morro= 1200-1500 USD. Everyone I spoke to wants to go, they just don´t know if they have the finans.

I went there last year and had a great time, I loved it, but it costed me more then all last years races combind. It´s ok, just trying to make a point. I´m not in the running for any cash at any race, I suck and I know it, but if you can go to Antibe by car in 4 hour and win 500 point per race and your name is Luca, why would he travel to Morro and risk it all for nothing?

I hope to skate with all of you soon, but for this weekend, my priority is to take down Macster, Andy Boy and Jani at the Swedish Championships in Göteborg. I seriously doubt it but the sun shines on a dogs ass and anyone can win the lottery.

Remember,first a left then a right, then a left again.
PK

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Prize Purse

Post by Jack Smith » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:19 pm

Radikal Trucks World Slalom Championships

Super G
1st - $1000
2nd - $500
3rd - $300
4th - $200

Slalom
1st - $1000
2nd - $500
3rd - $300
4th - $200

Tight Slalom
1st - $1000
2nd - $500
3rd - $300
4th - $200

Overall Champion $1,000

This prize money is being provided by Radikal Trucks. A big thanks to Mark McCree!

The park slalom and cross-country will not be counted in the overall. There will be no cash prizes for these events.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Entry Deadline is Monday, September 5th.

Post by Jack Smith » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:35 pm

Entry Deadline is Monday, September 5th.

New sponsors include:
Gravity Skateboards
Pizza Port
Central Coast Surfboards
Sierra Summit Ski Area

One of our local sponsors is going to let me know today about some possible low cost lodging. They have three, brand new, two bedroom apartments in Morro Bay.
The apts. are not furnished at all, so you would need to bring sleeping bags and towels. I'll post more as soon as I know.

There will be a welcome party at the Pizza Port on Monday night, September 12th at 7:00pm. We will also hold the awards ceremony there on Sunday at 6:00pm. Tim Cowen of Wavelengths Surf Shop recently purchased the Pizza Port and offered the use of the Port.

I need to hear from all racers as to whether you are racing Pro or Am.

It's now 6:00am PST.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:42 pm

The following hotels are offering special rates for racers:

The Inn at Morro Bay
Contact info:
Kristen 805-772-2238 x1729

Pacific Plaza Resort in Pismo Beach
Contact info:
Cathy Silva 805-805-473-6989

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

Post by Paul Price » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:19 pm

On 9/8/2005 Jack wrote in from United States (69.19.xxx.xxx)
The following hotels are offering special rates for racers:

The Inn at Morro Bay
Contact info:
Kristen 805-772-2238 x1729

Pacific Plaza Resort in Pismo Beach
Contact info:
Cathy Silva 805-805-473-6989

I just called Pismo - rate is $116 a night (with 20% discount) but is not near the town of Morro where the races will be. The Inn at Morro Bay is $249 a night - so anyone (Pat, Matthew, Vince) who hasn't booked yet - last chance - the race is less than a week away.
Add 10% to price of hotel rooms for the local room tax.
Or sleep on the beach.
Flights from London are about 400 quid ($750) now.

I am flying to Antibes tomorrow, back to London on Monday - then on Tuesday to San luis Obispo Via Washington and LA - I get in at 11pm Tuesday night - ready to race on Wednesday. Please pick me up from the airport Eddie :-)

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:43 pm

The dates of Slalom Week were posted almost ten months ago, and you are just now booking lodging? Yes, there were some venue changes, but I made it clear that all the events would be within 10-20 miles of Morro Bay.

You must have not talked to Kristen at the Inn at Morro Bay, the rates she gave me were much less than that.

I will know today about the two apt. units in Morro Bay.

Jack

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:04 pm

My friends at Morro Bay Surf Company are offering three brand new condos next to their store in North Morro Bay for lodging.

The condos have never been lived in, each has two bedrooms. There are absolutely no furnishings. That means sleeping (sleeping bags) on the floor and bringing your own towels.

Price is $65.00 a night per condo.

Please contact Anthony or Nate directly at 805-772-2678.

I have assured them that all of you are mature individuals who won't thrash the condos. Prove me correct, please.

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

Post by Paul Price » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:27 pm

Morro Lodging
On 9/8/2005 Maria C. wrote in from United States (152.163.xxx.xxx)
Here's a hot tip -- call the Ascot Inn which is one block behind the Days Inn which is right off the main drag of downtown Morro -- a stone's throw from Pizza Port, Happy Jacks and all the other usual haunts in downtown. I just confirmed with them that they have affordable rooms still available -- even though web based booking services show them sold out.

Ascot Inn
845 Morro Ave.
Morro Bay, CA 93442
800-887-6454

PS -- Richy and I are staying there so for those of you making special orders from SK8KINGS -- we can hook up there for delivery during off race hours. ;)

Paul writes:

FYI - they have rooms with 2 beds for 89 and 109 (Friday Saturday) add 10% tax

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Room at Worlds

Post by Steve Collins » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:27 pm

I may not be going to the Worlds after all. My reservation at the Pleasant Inn may be available. It's for a 3 bed room, checking in the afternoon of Sept. 13 & checking out the morn of Sept. 18. If I do go I'll still need at least one and possibly two other people to share the cost ($115/night or $39-58/night/person).

I'll know later today if I can swing it. I should cancel by Saturday at latest to give Marcus a chance to re-book the room.

Contact me at southswellATcoxDOTnet.

BTW, The Pleasant Inn is a nice little spot, a block from Sunday's course. Marcus coneheaded last year's TS.