[2006] Buckeye Open 2.0 - June 23-25, 2006

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Kenny Mollica
Nature Boy
Nature Boy

[2006] Buckeye Open 2.0 - June 23-25, 2006

Post by Kenny Mollica » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:32 pm

OK, I am going for it !!!! Our Derby Hill is repaved and was tried out yesterday by the one and only Tway. He said it totally rock. C-Nova was there also.

So its only right that I throw a race right here in Ohio. I dont know what "Class" it will have, but the hill is World Class, in the middle of a public park. I am thinking about June 23, 24 and 25, 2006.

1,000 feet long with GS times being around 30 seconds. There will be a dual Hybrid/GS, TS, and possibly a 100 cone challenge and Super G. The hill is fast and takes people down, so hopefully we will have a talented field. Its nothing like Morro Bays Super G, or even the break GS from 2005, but the we can use it ALL DAY LONG, and it will stay light out until 9:30 pm that time of year. Be ready to get up early, we are starting practice by 7: 00 am for SURE, in order to get the races up and running.

The 2006 Derby Season of events has not been posted, but they only run a couple times a year, so this weekend should work. I will check and get back in a day or 3.

I plan on having practice all day on Friday, and having a single lane GS on Friday evening starting around 5 or 6 at night. Wind could play a factor in the single lane GS, if we have one, but we will crank out till dark when the wind calms down. The derby hill may get lights so we could race into dark.

Mark your calendars. This will be the final race of the Nutty Buckeye winter/spring series. Its going to be simple, fun and fast. I will figure out the dates for the spring series, which should be 4 or 5 races, with a rain date built in. The series will be one-day events, except for the final on June 23-25.

Party on.

Kenny Mollica
Nature Boy
Nature Boy

Buckeye Open should be a main race

Post by Kenny Mollica » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:20 pm

My hill rules. I will make a great race. My race should be a main. Tway or 66, cough it up. Your races are grass roots, mine is not. Please cough now.

Kenny Mollica
Race promoter

Paul Howard

What's the Current situation

Post by Paul Howard » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:20 am

Hey, What's the status of the dates for this wing-ding now that we're getting closer to June? Concerned slalomers want to know. Thanks-Paulywally
I just dig slalom!

Kenny Mollica
Nature Boy
Nature Boy

Buckeye Open Dates

Post by Kenny Mollica » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:21 pm

Paul-

Friday June 23-Sunday June 25.

Friday GS in the evening 5 or 6 to dark. Probably three runs, best of three. I am not going to change the GS rules, like 66 did in Georgia or Jani did in Sweden. Both times, I was way ahead, and they made me "prove it" again, by adding another run.

TS on Saturday, as thats when most of the spectators will be there and I want them to see the tight action.

Hybrid on Sunday, try to be done by 3:00 pm.

I am going to limit the race to 60-70 people. I figure 20 pros and 40 ams. The ams will get taken down to 32, so 8 people will sit out. No C class.

I will do a Junior Men's class IF we have at least 10 juniors, which I am sure we will with all the Buckeyes.

It will be up on the Calader soon. Waiting for some things. We DO have the Permit and Insurance, so ITS GOING OFF.

Airport is CMH. Columbus, OH. Varsity INN is the hotel. $62.00/night. I am sure you could camp at the park illegal, but I would not recommend it.

Are you racing PRO this year? I hope so.

Kenny

Its shaping up to be a good event, with some great prize money. More than the Majors.

Paul Howard

Buckeye Planning

Post by Paul Howard » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:23 am

Hey, Thanks for the info, hopefully I can get a chance to start looking at airline tickets soon and go from there. We'll see what the $$$ situation is at Casa del Pauliwog and EarthChick.

Pro? If we have to qualify then I'll wait and see where I place, if we have to declare our class then I s'pose I better go pro so I don't get the "sand-bagger" title. Maybe I should start a new division called "Peanut Gallery Pro Racer", pretty catchy, eh?

I'm assuming we need to call the Varsity Inn to put our names on reserve, Do you have a phone # for the Inn? (I'm assuming there's more than one in the Columbus area) Let me know the # and I'll start making some calls. Thanks-P
I just dig slalom!

Kenny Mollica
Nature Boy
Nature Boy

Two airports in Columbus

Post by Kenny Mollica » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:26 pm

I just found out that the Rickenbacker airport in Columbus takes passenger flights. Check both Port Columbus International (CMH) and Rickenbacker.

Rickenbacker was an airforce airport, and is now a free trade zone. Columbus is America's Inland Port.

Both CMH and Rickenbacker are within 10-12 miles from the action, but I don't know about rental car companies located near the Rickenbacker airport. Its mostly a huge industrial frieght airport, with a 10,000 foot runway for large aircraft.

There is only one Varsity Inn in Columbus. Its on Olentangy River Road. $62/night. Tell them you are with the Buckeye Open.

We will have the race up on the contest calander. You will have to state before the race Pro or Am. I am skippin the step of qualifying for either pro or open. People know where they stand.

Still looking for someone to run the timer at the Buckeye. I will pay flight and hotel.

Paul Howard

The latest info

Post by Paul Howard » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:28 am

Hey, cool, sounds good, I'll start looking into it soon. -P
I just dig slalom!

Kenny Mollica
Nature Boy
Nature Boy

Video of Buckeye Open hill on gong show

Post by Kenny Mollica » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:25 am

You can check out a video of the Ohio Derby Hill in Columbus on the gong show at NCDSA.com.

We had a horrible north (uphill) wind last sunday and the GS was awful slow. The hill rules..

Mike Cividino

Post by Mike Cividino » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:07 pm

some of us dont know what class to race, but Ill figure it out.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Civ?

Post by Marty Schaub » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:07 am

Civ,

Your pro, go run with the big dogs.....
La Costa Boy For Life

Gary Fluitt
asphaltplayground.com
asphaltplayground.com

timing

Post by Gary Fluitt » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:53 am

Kenny-
I got your timming. Sent you a couple of emails, not sure they were getting through to you. Will try to call you next week.
Flu

Kenny Mollica
Nature Boy
Nature Boy

Post by Kenny Mollica » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:16 am

Gary-
Thanks. I am flying Gesmer out and putting him up at the Varsity. I figure Marion and Bara will bring systems, and spare parts, but we got Danny doing the timing which is Killer !!!!!!!!

The Buckeye is up on the contest calander now. Just went up 5 minutes ago.
I am hoping for 20 pros at least so we can do a round of 16 for the dual races.

I was think about who would come, and here's who I came up with

Mitchell
Barker
Fluitt
Pirnack
Hackett
Olson
Mandy
Richie
Dong
Kirby (said he would come and race)
Noah
Kosick (hopefully)
Claude
Nature

I figure Kieth would go to Athens. Its Chicken's anniversary. Luca ain't comin, even though he could make more money than at the climbing gym that weekend. Harm, Goad and Seager will probably go down to Athens. Fadell could race pro. Don't know. Gilmour or Vlad? Dave Gale? We'll just have to see. The hill and setting are great. I have a feeling we will get 100 or more spectators on Saturday. Thats the tight and I will beg people to come to check it out. I'll get the TV stations and newspapers out on Friday night to hype the race. I'm pretty good at attracting attention.

With 3 days, we should get tons of racing, park riding and partying. The hill is the bomb. Especially since it will be the summer solstice weekend and it stays light until around 9:45 pm. We have the hill from 5 am to dark. Thats over 40 hours of potential race action.

I will let you guys be the judge. Just come once. If it sucks, there will be no Buckeye 3.0.
I was looking at the list above and everyone has either won or been to the podium, so everyone has a chance for some good cash. A 1st, 2nd, and 4th would give you $2,000 !!!!
Flight will be $350, shared room $93.00, entry $100. Thats a weekend at the office.

I am stoked. Its not going to be as professional as some races, but better than many. More fun than a frog in a glass of milk !!!!

I want an open rider to set the hybrid courses. Maybe Joe I. if you are coming.

alavoine jean paul

Post by alavoine jean paul » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:01 pm

Which frog? Which glass of milk?
jean paul aka POPOL:
"I was born yesterday...
but I stayed up all night!"

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:06 pm

Kenny,

Thanks for the honor. I'm disapointed to be unable to attend. I have to reclaim my son Nick from Camp Woodward that day.

I know team Fatboy will be well represented though and thank you for your hospitality towards them.

Joe

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:32 pm

Dan didnt sent the spreadsheets for Sunday's Hybrid??

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:43 pm

Giant- Junior
1) Kyle McLaren
2) Nathan Favero
3) Ben Favero

Giant-Open
1) Ethan White
2) Joe McLaren
3) Marty Schaub