Need help getting races going in local area (Oregon)

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:40 am

I would really like to get some regional/local slalom events going in my area (Portland Oregon), but I need help. I am familiar with running contest events for other organizations (model aircraft contests), and the national association (Academy of Model Aeronautics) makes this very easy to do. They have sanctioning kits which include all the forms and releases, a published set of rules, etc. I understand that there are a number of sanctioning organizations for slalom skateboarding (FCR, ISSA, NCDSA, IGSA, USSSF, GSI, and GRS), but I'm not sure which one would be the appropriate one to help me get a few races going in Portland?

I don't want or need to put on a huge event. I just want to get a few events on the calendar, let people know they are available, put some flyers up in the skate shops, and see what happens. No big prizes, no entry fees (maybe pass the hat around for donations for better timing equipment, whatever).

What I don't want to do is have a conflict with another race date, step on anyone's toes who is also planning events, or screw up big-time and make it hard for future events to be held.

I've talked to the folks at Daddies Board Shop, and they are enthusiastic about getting some local action going. Gareth Roe up in Seattle has also encouraged me to get going. I've tried to contact the local chapter of GRS (or GRASS), but the contact person cannot be found (anybody know Eric Estlund -- supposedly in charge of FASST -- Future Amature Slalom Skateboard Teams?)

So this is a plea for help. It is my self-imposed mission this year to get at least 3 races in the Portland area. Please show me how!

-- Pat Chewning
pchewn@attbi.com