[2006] Goin' to Da' Farm 6.Open

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

[2006] Goin' to Da' Farm 6.Open

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:06 pm

My annual advice on going to Da' Farm: stay in STAMFORD, CONNECTICUT!

This year will be my fourth Farm race and each year I've stayed in Stamford at GREAT hotels. My first year was at the Crown Plaza downtown, the second was at the Sheraton and last year I was at the Marriott.

If you Priceline for Stamford on the weekends, they have scads of rooms and no takers. Stamford is a big business center but has about as much tourist appeal as a dentist's office. So the hotels beg for occupancy on Fridays, Saturdays and Sunday.

Vista is about 15 miles due north of Stamford across the Merritt Parkway (if that far.) Bethel, Connecticut is around 20 miles. That might sound like a little bit of a commute, but it's a great drive through some of the most expensive real estate in the world.

There are rooms in Danbury CT and also some places in New York, but I've found they are outrageous compared to what I've gotten over the years in Stamford. Also, my plan is once again this year to go into Manhattan on Sunday and spend the day as a tourist. Stamford is the last stop on the Express commuter straight to Grand Central Station. Last year it was $18 round trip and in 30 minutes on a comfortable train you're in midtown.

I know some of you like the idea of hanging out at the motel with other skaters and enjoying all the cameraderie that goes on while at the races. Since, though, I don't really like any of you people, that's not a real deal breaker for me. Besides, all of y'all will get to enjoy my fabulous company all day at the races and at Tway's marvelous hacienda while partying.

Anyway, that's the advice from this longtime Farmer. Others have been to more races and others have done much better than me at the races, but none have done EXACTLY the same as me at the races, so my insight into what I do is unique.

See y'all in August.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:20 pm

about how much per night is it usually? this summer will be my first farm and this sounds perfect
No vestido para mi

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:35 pm

I have arranged Norwalk Hilton Garden Inn, 6-7 miles to the race.

$74 for a Kingbed, $84 for two doubles.

As every year there is a limited amount of free camping at Tways house, but you must arrange to be self sufficient. Alyssa Tway is a saint, but you are not getting much more than a hose.

Joe

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:01 am

Adam,

I had to go back and look. I bid $60 a 2-Star room and got it with an upgrade to the 3-Star Marriott. My three nights (Fri, Sat and Sun) totalled $195.00 plus all the taxes.

I'm bidding exactly the same this year.

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Re: Goin' to Da' Farm 6.Open

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:01 am

Wesley Tucker wrote:My annual advice on going to Da' Farm: stay in STAMFORD, CONNECTICUT!

This year will be my fourth Farm race and each year I've stayed in Stamford at GREAT hotels. My first year was at the Crown Plaza downtown, the second was at the Sheraton and last year I was at the Marriott..
Actually there are a few other hotels or motels around, also y have a wall to wall carpet on my basement with a couch, if someone is interested let me know. we can arrange a beer price.

Vista is about 15 miles due north of Stamford across the Merritt Parkway (if that far.) Bethel, Connecticut is around 20 miles. That might sound like a little bit of a commute, but it's a great drive through some of the most expensive real estate in the world..
I live 15min from tways house taking country roads(less or no cops late night), havent skated them but they seem really nice for short bombings. Wentzl saw them and he know what i'm talking about
Now dont expect to take your skateboard around downtown, its not worth it. good hills have poor pavement or too much traffic or cops roaming around.
Also, my plan is once again this year to go into Manhattan on Sunday and spend the day as a tourist. Stamford is the last stop on the Express commuter straight to Grand Central Station. Last year it was $18 round trip and in 30 minutes on a comfortable train you're in midtown.
Train tickets still remain the same price, $9.50 OW and $18 RT, there are trains going out every half hour or so.

Also you can try these towns they are close enough to both race sites: Darien, Norwalk, if you have lots money, try greenwich or New Canaan.

if you need any info lmk.

Leo
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:51 pm

Joe Iacovelli wrote:I have arranged Norwalk Hilton Garden Inn, 6-7 miles to the race.

$74 for a Kingbed, $84 for two doubles.

As every year there is a limited amount of free camping at Tways house, but you must arrange to be self sufficient. Alyssa Tway is a saint, but you are not getting much more than a hose.

Joe

Is that where we were last year?

Do we use the same Tway/Iacovelli Brokeback code? ;)
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

NAh it's better this year...

Post by Marty Schaub » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:53 am

This year it's the Schaub/Tucker Lovefest..........

That's why Wesley stays at another hotel...(BITCH!!!!)

Will I have Civ & Syd to keep me warm this year????
La Costa Boy For Life

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:04 pm

I feel pretty good. I got the same deal this year in the same hotel I was in last year. Stamford is about 12 miles from Shady Lane and a few more to Bethel. The one thing I really like about this hotel is it's two blocks from the train station. That'll make it easy to get into the city on Sunday.

I know Joe was kind enough to get a group rate in Norwalk, but for the weekend this is around $60 cheaper for me. That's two sets of Avalons. If anyone is interested, here's the deal I got with a $65 per night bid:

Stamford Marriott Hotel And Spa

Check-In Date: Friday, August 11, 2006
Check-Out Date: Monday, August 14, 2006
Greenwich - Stamford
243 Tresser Blvd
Stamford, Connecticut 06901
203-357-9555

Reservation Name: Wesley M Tucker
Check-In Date: Fri, Aug 11, 2006
Check-In Time: After 03:00 PM
Check-Out Date: Mon, Aug 14, 2006
Check-Out Time: 12:00 PM