[2007] Antrim & Berlin races

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

[2007] Antrim & Berlin races

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:50 pm

Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 pm

I would guess it is because the promoters of the NH race didn't submit it to the Calendar and CBark doesn't necessarily go out and scope out race thread elsewhere on the forum.

If the New England guys don't want (or don't know) to put their races on the calendar, that's their decision.

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:19 am

I contacted the organizers of the Antrim race very early in the season, encouraging them to apply for an ISSA sanction. They didn't follow thru.

My hat goes off to ANYONE that puts on a race, whether ISSA sanctioned or not. Without races, there would be no slalom skateboarding.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:05 am

the greatest thing about the Antrim NH race is that so far it's kinda been off the grid. $25 entry, prizes, amazing venue and a group of local racers who are wicked fast. It's really up to Brian Behl and Joe I but I think they could get a big status race if they wanted, I'm still on the fence on whether or not they should. Points are nice but also come with a load slalom politics no body's interested in. Any skater can enter this event and get a whole days worth of skating for their entry fee- diversity of this event is what makes it amazing.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:42 am

I'm not talking about points, my concern was rather how do you know that a race is on, if it's not in the calendar? It took me about 2 hours yesterday to read the various posts about Antrim and Berlin and to understand that they were actually two different races, that one had already happened and that the race in Berlin is the weekend after Worlds.

(many) Points or not, all races should be in the calendar. And, yes all races give points, as long as they are in the calendar and that the full results are available.

I was hoping to go, but in the end I decided not to.

/Jani

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Unfortunately, no single calendar captures all of the races

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:22 pm

The NCDSA calendar has most of the races listed in the USA. (notable exception: World Championships)

The ISSA calendar has most of the races in the world.

The Silverfishlongboarding calendar has some slalom races.

For the USA racer, checking each of these calendars is necessary....

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:50 pm

Jani,

First of all, I agree with you: the calendar is for races, points or no points.
Secondly, I don't care what's on other calendars. I want the ISSA to be as comprehensive and inclusive as possible.

BUT,

I still don't know if the organizers of these two races ever contacted CBark about inclusion on the contest calendar. If the organizers had a conversation with the ISSA and the race information was not included because they didn't want sanctioning, I believe that was an error. The calendar is for RACES, not for SANCTIONED EVENTS.

Let's learn from this and move on.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:59 pm

There's no problem. I shouldn't have asked it as a question. Actually I just wanted them included, so that the listing would be complete.

Also, as far as I know, every race gives points to the participants. Also small races are important as they let us grow the list of racers and those little points may be important for those that don't go to the big races.

...my real concern was that I was about to go to Antrim, until I realized that Antrim had already happened and that it was Berlin that was next. Browsing both this forum and NCDSA took me some time to sort it out.

In the end I had other priorities, so I decided to return home after my business in Boston next week.

See you in NC soon!

/Jani

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:29 pm

Jani,
If you are in Boston and want to go to the Berlin NH race let me know. You can get a ride with me and stay at my house. I live about 30 mins north of Boston. PM me if you are interested.

Tim Cayer

My Bad

Post by Tim Cayer » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:04 pm

I missed this calendar. Sorry. There are so many calendars and message forums I am bound to miss one. I did post something down under New England events. But I will certainly try to do a better job next time.

Now as for this event. We will be setting up the course at 7:00 am I hope to get registration open by 8:00. We hope to start practice by 9:00 am. Then go into qualifying before lunch. 2 Qualifying runs. Break for lunch around noon. Then racing can start around 1:00- 1:30. We hope to have time to run a clinic after the races. Of course everything depends on how many racers show. The less there are the more time for everything. I will also be looking to you for guidance where this is our first slalom race.

I believe I will have many young skaters who want to see what this slalom stuff is all about. They are street and park skaters who have never seen slalom. I am hoping we can get a few involved to start building a local scene. I have at least one who I am sponsoring and he will be there looking for someone to give him a few pointers.

The weather forecast is looking promising with temps in the 70’s and partly sunny. The city is really looking forward to seeing exactly what this is all about. Remember this is on their main street. And in a city where not a whole lot happens. So I expect you will be the talk of the city and on their front page Monday morning.

Also, there is a great event happening the day before for anyone who plans to come up early. It is called River Fire (hence the name of our event) and it is a great local event with the best part being the lighting of the boom piers on the river Saturday night.

Links to more info about that event

http://www.berlinnh.gov/Pages/BerlinNH_ ... /Riverfire

http://www.berlinnh.gov/Pages/BerlinNH_ ... 3314_0.jpg

http://www.newhampshire.com/historical- ... piers.aspx

Places to stay

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe= ... sults&cd=2

I want to thank everyone in advance who plans to make the drive up for this. It means a lot to me, and the community. GSI has made the investment into slalom and our hope is that this will only be the start of many more slalom races we would like to bring to you. Not just here I Berlin.

So take a peek at the trophy. http://www.gravitysportsinternational.c ... trophy.gif

And I look forward to seeing all your smiley faces Sunday Sunday Sunday!!

Tim

GSI

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:59 pm

Glenn Chapman wrote:If you are in Boston and want to go to the Berlin NH race let me know.
I was hoping to go, but I have to return home and take of the kids. I'm leaving late Saturday night. If the race was on Saturday I could have made it. Thank's for offering help, that's much appreciated. I hope to come another time.

Tim, the skaters should help getting the events into the calendar too. It doesn't have to be the organizer. Probably the locals knew all about it anyway, it was just me that couldn't figure out which race was which.

In the end it's important that the event is in the calendar, because that's where Corky will go to verify that he has all the results for all events (whether ISSA sanctioned or not). After the event, please post the complete results in the topic where you announced the race and the skaters can have their points.

I hope you'll have a great race - and Tim, thank's for making it happen!

/Jani