Really Big East Coast Event

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:45 am

Tonight I was at my annual Ambulance Corps dinner thing, and while shoozing with the politicians, the subject of racing came up. I want to have a really big event in Hawthorne. What do you guys think about it? I'm looking for alot of sponsors, the town will only let it happen if alot of people show up and contribute to a new town skatepark. Any suggestions?

Brian

Sean Dawkins

Post by Sean Dawkins » Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:11 pm

If you can get HOOTERS to sponsor it, I'm in. I'll throw in a keg of St. Louis' finest to boot.

Gary Fluitt
asphaltplayground.com
asphaltplayground.com

Post by Gary Fluitt » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:33 am

Brian,
Talk to Jack Smith. When he rekindled this whole slalom competition phenomenon a couple of years ago, it was a fund raiser for the Morro Bay Skatepark that got it started.
I think races are a bad way to try to raise money however. Having staged a couple of races, I find them to be a good way to spend money, not raise it.
Find a corporate sponsor and you might be able to walk away with some cash to put into the park.

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:59 am

I'm really not looking to get the money and stuff from skate companies, but more from local buisnesses that hate skateboarders. I see it this way, the town doesn't want skateboarders on the street, the buisnesses don't want skateboarders on their property, so the town wants to build a small park. I was talking to the politicians the other night, and they were very receptive to the idea of having a race, but only if it can benifit them as well. The more money I can raise from an event, the less money the town has to argue about to get the park built, plus it should be a good day of racing.
I had a great conversation today with Andy about the race, and gained alot of insight of what I would be facing. I want to have something big, like FCR magnitude, but something where both the racers will have a good time, and the politicians will get the PR they need.
What is difficult for the politicans to understand, is they figure oh its a skateboard thing, so I could just get on the phone with ESPN and get the X-Games to come to little ole Hawthorne and pay the 15 grand they are looking for. Unfortunately its not the case, and raising 15 grand is definately not an easy task, but I am quite determined. I figure raise 10 grand for the town and the park, and the other 5 grand will go towards the race for 1. a good purse to get the people on the course, 2. the frills like banners, tents, soundsystem, spectator area... whatever, and 3. Ramps. The town said if i can come to the table with the money, they will close the road, provide the permits, and take care of the insurance. But the money is the number one factor. That is my major problem.....

Brian

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:10 pm

brian , garys right. when tway and i did the farm races we did it to raise money for different causes. problem is ,after expenses like porta potti , insurance,and kitchen remodel for tway there is very little to go around. i would try a few small grass root races first to get the hang of it.t

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:33 pm

TK,

All the logistical stuff like the porta potties, police, EMS, ect.. is going to be covered by the town, as well as permit and insurance expensies. I don't know about a Kitchen Remodel, mine was just done. I didn't know this crowd was that rowdy. My only expenses are the purse, and any other skate related things like ramps, banners, ect..

Brian