Albuguerque, New Mexico FCR Bank Slalom

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:13 am

Whoa, this sounds like the Waimea of ditches, now throw in a RACE, yeah!

The below URL has some good digital footage of this area.

Albuquerque, God's Land of Ditches

Gary Fluitt
asphaltplayground.com
asphaltplayground.com

Post by Gary Fluitt » Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:01 pm

Albuquerque is definitely God's Land of Ditches as advertised. Paul Dunn, Chris Barker, and Myself drove around quite a bit of Albuquerque, and the most often heard phrase was "there's another one"! The place is just a freak show of ditches, everytime you look up some gap in the freeway or surface street system, there would be a ditch, and most of them with beautiful transition.
Indian School Ditch is just amazing. The first time I looked at the thing, it felt like looking at a perfect point break with no one out. Same sort of feeling, though my "surf style" apparently doesn't translate well to my skating. One Dogtown legend was heard suggesting that "Fluitt doesn't surf does he..." Must be the dorky helmet (not the lack of style).
Anywho...back to Alb. What an amazing place. Couple of runs in Indian School and your legs feel like jello™. Ric Widenor said he too would have "buns of steel" if only he lived in Alb.
The Bear has been said to be the "Waimea of Ditches". Perhaps it is, no one was claiming there to a bigger ditch with a pitch like the Bear. And the cost of a screw up there could be big as well. We didn't see any one take a digger at the Bear, save Jason Salfi who fell at the last transition on maybe one of the fastest runs of the race. If you were to go down at the first or second cone, you'ld probably be carted off to the hospital. Thank God we didn't see terrible carnage or the race would probably have been shut down.
Hackett was amazing down there, as was Chicken, and Mollica. It was all about line nad pump. I'd like to claim it was about wheels, but Kenny was on the same wheels I was and he was a full second faster.
Big boards were key. I don't think anyone was succeful in that ditch with less than a 39" board. The Gravity guys set me up with a 42" Mini Carve which I hadn't ridden before the race. It was PERFECT.
One of the most impressive things I saw was Yancy Meyer on a 57" Ed Economy, just ripping through the course, having had zero practice. Oh yeah, he was shirtless too. Yancy placed fifth in this "slalom race". You know, these guys with all this natural talent just piss me off. I'm a "professional slalom racer". I should be allowed to dominate my little niche without worrying about vert skaters, but NOOOOO, you've got guys like Edwards, Meyers, Hackett who have to do it all. Can't be happy dominating parks and pools, they have to come take points from my little domain too.
But hey, I beat Paul Dunn. Probably the only time in history I'll do that.
Can't wait till next year.
Sharon, thanks for showing us around!

Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes

Post by Dan Hughes » Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:10 am

Will there be a Bear race this year also?

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:10 pm

Wow...this was posted a while ago huh?

I'm hardly ever on time for anything.

I just got back from albaquirky. It was
awesome. I mostly filmed though. Ditch
riding's a whole nother ball game and
I got respect for anyone who even ATTEMPTS
the Bear.

Palmer absolutely rips. Such a nice guy too, none of that bullcrap rock star attitude
some skaters indulge in. And Kaylee's a natural as well. The locals have that terrain
and I'm insanely jealous seeing as how I live
in a swamp and it's turned my blood to water.

Of all the things I forgot to bring with me on my trip out there, I missed my spine the
most. :smile: