Kingpin Insert?

Radikal Skateboard Trucks

Moderators: Keith Hollien, Mark McCree

Joel Crawley

Kingpin Insert?

Post by Joel Crawley » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:17 pm

I was replacing the bushings in my rear truck. When I attempted to remove the kingpin from the truck I noticed it seemed tighter than usual. Well it seems that I wasn't removing the kingpin from the baseplate but I was actually backing the kingpin insert out as well. It got to a certain point (not all the way removed from the baseplate) and the kingpin broke loose and came out.

What I noticed was that there seemed to be some type of locking compound on the insert. Could someone tell me what formula of LockTite it is? Also I didn't (possible couldn't) remove the insert entirely so would it be okay just to apply it near the top of the insert where it flares out? Or should I try to remove it and apply it to the threads? If so what do you suggest to remove it without "buggering" it all up? Or move importantly should I just leave it as is since it will tighten up when I'm tightening the kingpin in?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:21 pm

Hi Joel,

Please send me your baseplate and I will install a new insert for you.

Jack Smith
2824 Main Street
Morro Bay, CA 93442

Thanks,
Jack
Radikal Trucks

Joel Crawley

Post by Joel Crawley » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:40 am

Hi Jack,

Thanks for getting back with me so soon. Could this be something I could hold off on? In other words can I just back the insert back in with the kingpin and use it safely until later? I'd hate to be without my baseplate while the weather's still nice. Just wondering if I could hold off until it gets too nasty out to ride? Of course if you think it's a true safety issue or that I might damage the truck by riding it that way I certainly won't but I'd like to get a few more good rides in before I sent it in.

Thanks,
Joel

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:49 am

Hey Joel...

Give me a call 877-723-7587

Jack

Joel Crawley

Post by Joel Crawley » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:01 am

Jack,

Just wanted to get back with you after we talked. Got everything working well. Thanks for your help. It was much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Joel