broken kingpin !

Radikal Skateboard Trucks

Moderators: Keith Hollien, Mark McCree

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

broken kingpin !

Post by Etienne de Bary » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:30 pm

I bought a pair of trucks from Marcus, i was SO happy to ride Rads again !

i waited like for 3 or 4 weeks, as usual with our customs...

i mounted the trucks, and got ready for the session thursday, but it started to rain...

today i went out with cones, conditions were perfect. i tried a few 6 feet, but it didn't quite fit... Then i set a 5 feet run of about 20 gates. i pushed into the run and it seemed OK until the third cone, when it fell like i had hit a stone or something, fortunately i was not going too fast : the rear KP had broke.

i'd like to buy a few kingpins, and get them thru some private messaging service.

Bruce Brewington
Wall Street Racing
Wall Street Racing

Broken Radikal Kingpin

Post by Bruce Brewington » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:08 pm

I just broke a kingpin in my front Radikal truck over the weekend. I was on my regular hill on Conservatory Drive in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco and luckily, I was able keep mostly upright as I came off as I was not going too fast. So hopefully, Keith and the Radikal guys can help me out.

Bruce

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:27 am

Go to home depot and get a Grabbit bit for a drill. If your careful not to damage the threading on the truck you should be able to get your king pin out.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Re: Broken Radikal Kingpin

Post by Stephen Lavin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:06 pm

Bruce Brewington wrote:I just broke a kingpin in my front Radikal truck over the weekend. I was on my regular hill on Conservatory Drive in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco and luckily, I was able keep mostly upright as I came off as I was not going too fast. So hopefully, Keith and the Radikal guys can help me out.

Bruce
Bruce it's that gnarly old-school style of yours; you're way too hard on those kingpins man :)

Glad you didn't bite-it when it broke. Hey hope all is well with you too.

If you get that pin out and you need a new one PM me, I'll send you a spare I have used but pretty much NOS gratis.
LAVIN

Cat Young
Bad Kitty
Bad Kitty

Post by Cat Young » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:08 am

Karl Floitgraf wrote:Go to home depot and get a Grabbit bit for a drill. If your careful not to damage the threading on the truck you should be able to get your king pin out.
moving my post

Cat Young
Bad Kitty
Bad Kitty

Re: Broken Radikal Kingpin

Post by Cat Young » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:09 am

Bruce Brewington wrote: I was on my regular hill on Conservatory Drive in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.

Bruce
Call me next time you go!

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:45 pm

Hey Keith, it's been a little while now that i started this topic, and that you very kindly offered to send me kingpins. So i'm wondering why things now seem to keep iddle.
Well i'm now using a vintage french front truck i thought would do for a few days... It does good actually. Now should i give up on riding Rads forever ?

Keith Hollien

Post by Keith Hollien » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Etienne & Bruce,
Sorry for the delay, but I had both of my computers break within 2 days of each other. I do not have any more races this season and I finally have a working computer after a month or so.

I will replace and or fix any broken king pin.
Etienne, I need an adress to send you a king pin.
Bruce, is the king pin you broke the same one that was in the trucks when I sold them to you in 2005?

Keith

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:59 pm

Hey Keith,

i just sent you a PM in your box here. Glad to hear from you !

best feelings

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:06 pm

Hey Keith,

Your pack is here, thanx !

Bruce Brewington
Wall Street Racing
Wall Street Racing

Broken Kingpin

Post by Bruce Brewington » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:48 pm

Virtually, one year to the day, I broke another front truck kingpin in my radikal over the weekend, running some cones at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. I snapped my carbon-fiber fiberglass turner (only cutway that existed) earlier this summer and hearing another "SNAP" I thought I did it again, but it was just the kingpin I broke my last kingpin on Nov 9, 2009, so I guess radikal kingpins are good for about 367 days, before replacement is required. Hey Keith could you help me out ?? I'll send you a PM

thanks

Bruce

www.myspace.com/thereefriders

Neil Orta

Re: Broken Kingpin

Post by Neil Orta » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:59 am

Bruce Brewington wrote:so I guess radikal kingpins are good for about 367 days, before replacement is required.....
I have been procrastinating on replacing mine for far too long now but all mine are all at least 1095 days old.

Bruce Brewington
Wall Street Racing
Wall Street Racing

Post by Bruce Brewington » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:48 am

Thanks Keith for all of your help with my Radikal...hope you and Michelle have a wonderful and profitable 2011 !!

bruce

Nick Sable
Nick
Nick

Re: broken kingpin !

Post by Nick Sable » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:07 pm

turned myself into a flying meat missile today ,racing my local mountain ditch, half way down the ditch, my radikal rear kingpin decided to let go..i got the hipper from hell....i was lucky to walk away from this..
one of those holy sheeete! moments ....... gotta try & get the broken bit outta the baseplate now....grrrrrr....

Never under estimate the fight left in the dingo mate......
A.U. team rider for http://www.pavel-skates.com
http://www.decenthardware.com
Flyaway helmets
Abec 11

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:58 pm

Nick,

What I've found is the most likely way to do that without buying a lot of special tools is find the smallest tiniest drillbit you can and use it to make a series of shallow holes in a straight line across the broken face. Make sure the holes are overlapping. That makes a groove you drop a small screwdriver into and back out the broken part. (Of course, using a drill press works best but not everyone has one in the garage.)

Don't use a chisel or do any type of hammering on the face. That will jam the threads together and you'll be really screwed (pun intended.) Don't force anything. Let the drill do the work and just repeat the action three or four times. That's enough for a small screwdriver blade to grip into.

Also, I hope you didn't use Loc-Tite on the kingpin threads? I'm assuming you did not but some people do that with Rads. If you did, good luck.

Final caution: don't allow the spinning bit to touch the threads on the hangar. It's sort of like trying to play OPERATION and not make the guy's nose light up.

Keith Hollien

Post by Keith Hollien » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:59 pm

Nick,
If you need any help, you can contact me at Keith@KeithHollien.com.

New king pins are $10 each(+ship).

Our king pins are designed to flex and any metal that flexes will break. I change my pins when they look old(look where spherical bearing contacts the king pin and when is very marked up), I change my pins. I have been riding Radikal Trucks a lot since 2003 and I have not broken one pin yet. AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE: CHANGE YOUR KING PINS.

Keith - Radikal Trucks Since 1978.

T Whalen

Post by T Whalen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi Keith,

Are you bringing any kingpins to Antrim?

See you soon,
Terry

Keith Hollien

Post by Keith Hollien » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:50 pm

Terry,
I will bring axles and king pins with me for sale. I will also bring our new high rebound 70A & 80A bushings. In our improved Radikal shaped bushing along with our new cone.

Keith - Radikal Trucks Since 1978.

Chris Cousineau

Post by Chris Cousineau » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:32 am

Hi Keith
I would also take 2 king pins not sure what thread i need but they are from 2003 and they dont have a insert piece for the baseplate ..thanks