DC Winter Outlaw Series

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Brian Parsons

DC Winter Outlaw Series

Post by Brian Parsons » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:59 am

I apologize for not update everyone sooner about this winters race schedule.

The 3rd race in the DC winter Outlaw series is scheduled for this Saturday January 17th. Due to the unpredictable weather conditions everyone please check this forum for last minute weather updates or location changes.

Right now the race will be held at Fountainhead Park. This is due to the expectation of snow on Thursday and the P&R will more than likely be covered with salt and sand. Also, this spot provides the best wind protection.

The format will be the same as previous DC Outlaw Series races with longboard slalom practice beginning at 10am and traditional slalom racing starting around noon. As most of you know Fountainhead is a single lane course.

For you skaters that have never participated in an Outlaw race before. we have no permission or a permit, skating is at your own risk and pads are optional. However, we have been racing under this format for almost 3 years now and have never had any major problems with park officials, police or the mainstream public. It’s all about having fun and racing.

There is no entry fee.

Winter Schedule.
Jan 17. – Fountainhead Park – Longboard practice starts at 10am
Feb 7. – Location TBD
Feb 28. – Location TBD
March 20. – Location TBD

Wes can you post up one of your fancy map links to Fountainhead. If anyone gets lost you can call me on my cell @ 703-901-5167 and I can help you find it.

Also, as everyone knows the weather is very unpredictible. If it is wet is race is canceled. I will update this forum as soon as possible as to the road conditions.

Jeff Bozi
Boziboards
Boziboards

Post by Jeff Bozi » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:52 am

I'll be the first dickhead (Id insert a smiley if I knew how) ,

if it doesnt snow & the park & ride looks 1/2 decent, it would be cool haveing the cars rite by course to jump in to warm up every now & then. Looks like weekend will be clear & brisk.

I'll all for Fountianhead if thats where it is, no worries. Have a few new people who where interested as well, I'll let them know to watch the forum for directions & developments.

Hope you & yours are doing well Brain.

It could be anyones race since the white russians out of town.

See you all there.
Bomb-Carve-Flow

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:01 am

<font color="red">!Click for map of Fountainhead!</font>

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:48 am

Massive bummerz :(

Michael has a basketball game @ 11:30 in G'burg. We were gonna get mom to swoop him up and bring him back after the game. If the race is at Fountainhead, we are probably no-shows, or show up really lates just to check things out and to try out some of our new stuff.

Michael would be way bummed if I headed down w/o him..., and although I'm dying to try out some of my new stuffs, I can't do that to him.

@BP,
The race is where you call it, you are in charge. However, I'm willing to serve as a scout for the GBurg P&R, as I drive by the place twice a day, minimum, and can give you detailed and up-to-date info on conditions. That offer stands for all races.

@Bozi, I think semicolon right parenthesis will get you a wink ;) and colon right paren gets a smile :)

Q

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:47 am

Jack Quarantillo wrote:Massive bummerz :(

Michael has a basketball game @ 11:30 in G'burg. We were gonna get mom to swoop him up and bring him back after the game. If the race is at Fountainhead, we are probably no-shows, or show up really lates just to check things out and to try out some of our new stuff.

Michael would be way bummed if I headed down w/o him..., and although I'm dying to try out some of my new stuffs, I can't do that to him.
so i guess i have no ride either? any one else live close to the p&r or just near rockville or something that can give me and my brother a lift? not sure if i can go w/o a ride, even though i have a car...

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:53 pm

Is the P&R salty NOW? If it doesn’t snow, can we race in Gburg? Please? I’ll bet lunch that if it DOES snow, it ain’t gonna melt by Sat anyway.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:38 pm

Is the P&R salty NOW?
I checked it on my way to work. No salt, no sand. ...but that's now.

Q

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:49 pm

I can scope out Fountionhead friday evening if needed. It looks like the snow is going stay more to the north, even there I don't think it's going much at all. Have broom will travel.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:07 am

I went by Fountainhead today. It's in great shape. They don't salt or sand it in the winter.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:12 am

not that this should matter, but if the race is in fountainhead, queue, his kid, me, and my brother are most likeyl gonna be noshows and hit some local spots.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:08 am

I know i am definately going unless it gets cancelled and ill probably be bringing a couple people too, so i hope it doesnt snow so i can finally come to my first race and really test out my new board

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:55 am

Let's turn all these frowns upside down.

I would suggest all of the negative posters to Fountainhead try turning it into a positive and find more spots for us to ride and hold races.

I only see Ohm and me finding new places to ride. (I've got another spot in Arlington that could be perfect for races. I just wanna ride it a few more times to figure out the bust factor.)

Fountainhead is a great spot. The only problem is you can't run duals. It is only 1/2 hour from Gaithersburg if you go the right way.

From Gaithersburg take the Beltway to Virginia for about 13 miles.
Get off at BRADDOCK RD WEST exit- exit number 54A-B.
Keep RIGHT at the fork in the ramp.
Merge onto VA-620 W/BRADDOCK RD. 1.5 miles
Turn LEFT onto BURKE LAKE RD/VA-645
Stay on BURKE LAKE RD for 4.7 miles
Turn LEFT onto OX RD/ ROUTE 123 S. 1.1 miles
Turn RIGHT onto VA-643/HENDERSON RD. 1.9 miles
Turn LEFT onto VA-647/HAMPTON RD. 1.4 miles

Everyone coming from the north should also remember there are many people coming from the south that are also driving long distances from places like Va Beach, Lynchburg, Roanoke, etc.
Not all races can/should be run in the northern areas of region.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:17 am

Slappy,
Thanks for the directions. Even if things head to Fountainhead, we may come down after Michael's Bball game and try to run a few cones. We'll be showing up late, so we might have to wait until the bracketing is over, or whatever. I certainly don't wanna come across as a whiner, as both sites are within an hour of me (conservative) while others (DaveMO, GaryinVA, Noah, PA Dan, KMG, etc.) are driving 1-4 hours or more.

Brian is 'da man, and it is his call. The rest of us can react accordingly.

I am sticking by my standing offer as P&R scout for any/all potential DC Outlaw races.

Q

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:11 am

im sure fountain head is great. i was just saying i dont have a ride, but i would love to go. i still may be able to find a way to get there. and more power to those who travel from so far. and i didnt mean to make queue or myself sound like whiners, sorry bout that.

oh yeah, and queue and bozi found the slalom spot next to the germantown ditch, and while it may not be the best of spots, its great if you like to do both slalom and ditch riding.

Mike Ohm

Outlaw

Post by Mike Ohm » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:31 am

OK I will chime in.

Park and Ride if clean and no headwind is best/fastest. If it is windy it sucks and is cold as....
Default to Fountainhead if P&R is salty and windy.

Snow will ultimately decide the location.

Noah and ur13. Floor space at my pad if you come in friday night.

David Morris

Onward to Fountainhead.

Post by David Morris » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:56 am

Hey Guys, can someone give some directions for us south eastern virginians? We will be hitting it again from Norfolk/Virginia Beach via I-95. The map that Brian left on ncdsa doesn't load.

Some direction will be great.

Can't wait to ride again. Hoping it will not be too cold.

David Morris

Post by David Morris » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:57 am

Brian, bring baby pictures !!!!

gotta see the new skater!

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:20 am

It's pretty easy to reach Fountainhead from I-95 South.
It's the exit after Potomac Mills & Vans.

From 95
Take the Rt. 123 exit North to Occoquan.
Take Rt. 123 for about 5-6 miles. (You'll go over a bridge and past the now closed Lorton Prison. You'll be getting close when you see a new shopping center on the right.)
Turn left on Hampton Rd. (They've been widening Rt.123 so I'm not sure if it's still there...but there used to be a sign for Hampton Rd.)
Take Hampton for about a mile you'll see the park on the left.

(If you miss Hampton Rd you can also turn left on Henderson and follow the signs.)

David Morris

Post by David Morris » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:45 am

Thanks Slappy

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:19 am

will we be certain on the location by tonite? i need to know so i can plan my day.

John Dillon

Ride to Fountainhead...Yo Seth, GBJ

Post by John Dillon » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:45 pm

Hey Seth & GBJ, I could swing by your way and pick u up for the sat race at Fountainhead if it's still on...just a dusting at my house this morn and nothing in PG COUNTY where I work...but all the roads were heavily salted everywhere...I guess everyone panicked since last week's dusting caused CHAOS here in MD when nody salted....what does our scout,Q, say about the P&R...prob salted bigtime ? Hey WesE, got some extra layers of Warmax for me?Oh yea, I could fit another person but I want to bring the true longboard-Gravity EdEconomy 57incher bankrider! Call me tonight on my cell 443-610-8488 if u 2 guys still need a ride....it was so snowy(not) this morn I walked out the house w/o my cell.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:55 pm

ill call you tonite! is there any chance my brother could fit in as well? i really hope they didnt jump the gun with the p & r. this just isnt a good weekend for fountainhead for me. plus i wanna try out queue's new ride! lol. actually, i may be able to drive myself if you cant take me and my brother. he wont be happy that his new deck isnt ready (i just found out) but im sure there will be plenty to ride out there

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:18 pm

About 1/4" of dusting at casa Q, ~3 mi from P&R. I'll check it on my way in to work.

Q

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:40 pm

I hope you guys in DC made out better than us here in NYC. Our "dusting to one inch" predicted turned into "5-9 inches", it's nasty up here. I hope to god the race is still on because i gotta get the hell out of this snow for at least an afternoon.

Noah....lets go go go!

John Dillon

Ref: ride & Ref: Whatsnow?

Post by John Dillon » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:19 pm

Ride: No prob Seth...we can strap him to the roof of the car Or he can hold the EdEconomy...haven't heard from GBJ yet...if I could fit Leo in on the way home from ST Louis with all the stuff myself, WesE and Leo had w/us....I mean all the wheels,decks,tools,Coolmax T-shirts,and griptape that WesE had brought, then we can fit your bro in as well. maybe I'll leave my snobo at your house and swap you & your bro for my snobo so I can hit up the slopes after the race?
Yo UR13/Noah: The snow was a non event for the DC area, a dusting only in the Baltimore area but the road crews salted everything big time...probably to make up for the desalination that all last yr's rain did for the Chesapeake Bay...blue crabs dig the saltier water! I hear there's a chance for some more white stuff on monday! It'll be good to c you guys...AND JOE, if he comes.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:29 pm

Joe I was going to drive down to NJ and meet Noah and go down with him. he mentioned you might be coming too. usually we meet at the middletown train station like 8am...lets talk with Noah to figure out.

Is the race even still on?

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:04 pm

No accumulation where I live, and the sun is out. The Race could very well still be on.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:14 pm

Well guys...

Good News:
The GBurg Park & Race is bone dry.

Bad News:
There is more salt on the asphalt there than I had snow.

Unless somebody's got one of those rolling sweepers, a gas-powered blower, or a Zamboni, or we all show up with push brooms an hour early, there will be no racing at the P&R.

Boswell, Slappy, how's Fountainhead?

Q

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:33 pm

Fountainhead is probably good. Total lack of accumulation there would be a good guess.

Jack, Thanks for checking the P&R.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:48 pm

No Problemo...
I literally drive right by it on my way to work. A quick peek before getting on 270 only takes a minute or two.

Q

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:23 pm

id be willing to help sweep if anyone wants to help!
jd, ill email you when a final decision is made

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:43 pm

Fountainhead: no snow, salt, or sand.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:08 pm

so whats the verdict gonna be on this one? I personally dont care just as long as there is a race since i have never been to either places i dont know which one would be better....

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:59 am

It's official - the race will be at Fountainhead. Probably 10am for Longboard practice and then around Noon for the traditional slalom. BrianP, can we get an afirmative on that start time?

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:19 am

Maybe the start time should be pushed back a bit, seeing so it's going to be a very cold night. BRRRRR.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:44 am

yah, but it gets dark f'in early

Jeff Bozi
Boziboards
Boziboards

Post by Jeff Bozi » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:05 pm

Is ellybody up & going? I have stuff to bring for alot of you, hoping one particular shipment is sitting over at old house, cause it didnt show here. I need to go there, then come back for kids before I head out. May be late, but we'll be there.
I have a lil stomach issue, not sure how long we'll stay, slappy, they gotta porta pot anywhere near? (seriously)

See you guys, Jefff
Bomb-Carve-Flow

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:20 pm

You boyz/galz have a good one!! Jeff use the john prior to running.. May work out like the greyhounds!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:01 pm

Got home last night around 11:00. First thing I did this morning was tally up the damage. Just in case anyone is interested (and I know you are,) I did this whole weekend for $130.00. That includes the room Friday night, driving 900 miles and some eats now and then. I even think that cost is a little skewed as gasoline spiked in the past couple of weeks to $1.55 a gallon. If it goes back to the $1.30 range it was before new year's, then I could probably do an Outlaw race for under $125.

Not bad for a weekend of skating on a really good hill with a decent crowd of people. I've made quite a show of myself the past couple of years telling everyone I don't travel north of Richmond between Thanksgiving and Easter. I must admit, though, that Saturday was really good skating weather. Some people were a little over dressed, (not mentioning any names, JD,) but for the most part some long pants and something over the ears would be enough to handle 35-degree weather with no problems. Actually, the only fashion accessory that brought any comment was Slappy's iPod wire flopping around while he was trying to slalom. We could tell at the top of the hill it was a distraction and on his next run the Maximus was careful to tuck it inside his jacket. I made mention of the fact that Saturday in 35-degree weather and still air was a lot more comfortable and tolerable than the 48-degree weather 66 and I skated in a couple of weeks earlier. A stiff breeze makes all the difference when it comes to staying outside for any length of time.

Thank goodness for the National Weather Service. Between weather updates on my computer, the Weather Channel in my motel room and listening to the radio in my car, I had an accurate and up-to-date picture of the weather in Occoquan right up until I left Saturday at 3:00. I guess from what WesE is saying I missed the icy stuff by about five minutes.

That's just the way I like it!

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:42 pm

Sorry Noah and I missed you guys. We must have flipped a coin 30 times on Friday afternoon and finally gave in to the temps. I hope all you guys had a good time, we WILL see you on the 7th....or whenever the next race is.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:18 pm

T’was a great time of outlaw slalom yesterday. The temps were not a problem at all! In fact, when the conditions are right, I think I prefer skating in 35°F over skating in 80°F! If Fountainhead were wide enough for duals, the place would surely be Slalom Central. I hope AnthonyF, Danny, Brittany, Seth & his brother each had a good time. It appeared that everyone was having a good time, with the exception of Brian’s dad, who looked as if he wanted to join in on the fun but was not quite ready to cut loose the way we do. At the end, I was the only one left at the site. I made one last trip up the hill to make sure all was well and it started to sleet.

Thanks to Brian Parsons - race organizer - family man - cooldude.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:47 pm

yesterday was probably the most fun i'll have until the next race...and me and danny realized that we are destined to be speedboarders as well.....that back hill is just soo gnarly. Just think its only 19 more days until the next race.....

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:48 pm

thanks wes, we had a great time. it was my bros first slalom event and i think it went too long for him. next time ill be sure to bring the ps2 so he can play in the car when he gets bored!

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:57 am

If there's one thing I learned about yesterday it would be that if I am to be competitive in the least bit at the slalom I'll have to invest in a better board. My deck is fine but the trucks don't even match. If I got some better bearings I think I'll do better. But yeah, yesterday was a blast and I'm definitely coming to the next one.

Jeff Bozi
Boziboards
Boziboards

Post by Jeff Bozi » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:37 pm

Danny, no worries on the non matching trucks, the important thing is what the trucks are doing. Next race, look at everybodies decks when theres a big turnout, youll see alot of different setups, most will have a different rear & frt truck. The most popular easiest to setup, is the Tracker 106mm RTS & RTX, or sesimic 105mm metals, in 45 & 30 degree trucks.
On your slalom deck you want the front truck to turn fast, & the rear truck to be way less aggressive so the rear doesnt what to slide out as soon as you have some speed & are turning hard.
( If the back wheels on your car turned, at 5 mph, itd be helpful to park, but if they turned on the highway at 60mph, you would skid out & flip the first time you tryed to turn even a little rite?)
Slalom decks, same thing, frt need to turn, rear needs to stay planted.

Most decks will run a wedge under frt truck to increase turning, & a backwards wedge in rear to dewedge & slow down the rear truck.

On regular style trucks, the critical thing is the Bushings, hard bushing that dont let the truck turn to it potential, make everything else pointless.

Bones Hardcores,Stimulators,Doe Doe's, all are a decent start, sometime will need to ad a longer kingpin to help fit a bigger softer bushing.

I didnt see what you where riding, I got there late. If you need any help in used decks, trucks, wheels to get a rig together or tweeek up yours, theres plenty of used stuff for slalom here locally even ;-)

It was way cool seeing so many young faces at the Race.

The Kids are alright ;-)

Bozi
Bomb-Carve-Flow

Anthony Smallwood

DC Outlaws

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:19 pm

Just wanted to thank Brian Parsons for his efforts this past Saturday. Glad to see folks arriving from afar on a cold winter day, just to skate. A highlight for me of course, was bombing the back hill. Laying out in the turn while leaning on my slider glove at speed was a rush indeed. The big highlight though, was watching Kyle, Danny and Anthony charging. I've been trying to recruit speedboarders for 4 years now, to no avail. Look's like I found them. Maybe it's time to start a DC downhill outlaw series....

Bozi, I got those 101's.....those things are scary!

See ya'll next time

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:05 pm

Anthony, do you think you could send me some pics of us bombing from saturday off of your digital? or if anyone happened to get pics send them to me so I can post them on my site

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:43 pm

The trucks I have on my slalom board is an Independent and a high quality Toys R' Us truck. I got the wedged risers set to turny in the front and stable in the back. I think if I get some new trucks and bearings I'll be able to shave a couple seconds off my run.

John Dillon

Thanks Bri!

Post by John Dillon » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:38 am

The race was cold on sat...in the 30s but it was 17 when I left my house...since I worked out in the cold all week,I was prepared, and yea, I was overdressed but I was warm...because, as WesE said, the wind was non-existent due to the forest surrounding us, it felt a lot warmer than if you were exposed to the wind....but if you stood still or were not wearing gloves you did notice the cold....in my caveman insulated coveralls I would've been comfy in -10degree weather! True, it was great to see all the new faces....and, yea, we missed a few who we expected would show. Fountainhead is truly a great find...just wish the hikers and mountainbikers wouldn't proceed right thru the middle of the course while the race is on.....I thought I had brought too much stuff,then I saw the 2 kayakers hiking with their kayaks....the hike to the water is quite a distance....that was pretty hardcore. Boswell kept warm w/the roadkill soup in a thermos. I hope to catch y'all next time! Peace!!

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:01 am

well the next race is in about a week and a half so i was wondering where the next race will be or if you havent decided yet. I'm geussing the times never change, so its just a matter of where...if you ask me ill go with fountain head since i really just want to ride the back hill a lot since im getting a board set up for downhill that day and plus everything will probably still be covered in sand and salt and maybe the occasional snow bank left over from the plow