Top speed on Seismics?

Sesimic Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Daniel Gesmer

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:12 am

I have ran in the 30mph range with a short wheel base slalom board, wedged back (de-tune) and flat front Seismic with silver springs and rubber wedge and riser. The board was not twitchy and the vibration was acceptable.

Can any of you help with what your top speed and configuration on a set of Seismics?

Top speed?
Configuration (wedge, riser)
Seismic size and color spring?
Wheel base?
Vibration?

I am about to set up a Super G board with 135mm, urethane wedge (de-tune) rear, rubber flat riser front, 36" board, 80a Avalon with trimmed lip. I'm excited about the prospect of running this board...

Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson » Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:15 am

Adam i ran seismics (157mm) on my landyachtz RIV speedboard for a few months and had no real problems with wobble or lack of tune...afterwards i ran the same trucks on a 95cm airflow with 78a flashbacks for longboard slalom...the rear had a lot of de tuned wedge (1/2 inch angled riser)and the front i left standard....the trucks ran the red springs and were quite loose...i made perhaps 40mph while speedboarding and was happy with the response from the seismics....later on i hit a kerb on a slide and the baseplate of the front truck exploded into a zillion pieces so i'm waiting on michael stride for a set of aluminium beautys...quite happy with them though.

David Price

Post by David Price » Wed May 21, 2003 1:17 am

i've done over 3o with a 135 seismic in front with the lightest springs set loose.....i've also heard of a buttboarder in the bay area who used to bomb hills on seismics tighened down all the way...sounds nuts

Shihan Qu

Post by Shihan Qu » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:38 am

How would trucks affect speed?

Daniel Gesmer
Seismic Skate Sys.
Seismic Skate Sys.

Trucks and speed

Post by Daniel Gesmer » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:22 am

Shihan Qu -

You need to be more specific in your questioning. Trucks are the nervous system of your skateboard, and their relationship to overall performance at various speeds is complex and multi-faceted.

What sort of skateboarding do you do?

...Dan

Shihan Qu

Post by Shihan Qu » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:31 pm

I Understand the trucks importance in stability and control, but aside from areodynamics, if I were at a top of a hill and wanting to get down sooner, how would the trucks aid me?

Daniel Gesmer
Seismic Skate Sys.
Seismic Skate Sys.

Post by Daniel Gesmer » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:48 am

If you want to go in a straight line as fast as possible, then you really just need trucks that are as stable as possible and that turn as little as necessary.

Some of the elite downhill racers in the 1970s even went so far as to use steel bushings in their trucks.

Shihan Qu

Post by Shihan Qu » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:03 am

Steel bushings?? Were they planning to reach speeds exess of a billion miles per second or something? How could bushings be steel, whats the point of trucks of they cannot turn. Explain to me how that works please. I am dumbfounded.

Daniel Gesmer
Seismic Skate Sys.
Seismic Skate Sys.

Post by Daniel Gesmer » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:33 pm

Obviously, steel bushings were used only in races where the object was to go straight down a straight course as fast as possible.

Adam Winston

Post by Adam Winston » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:38 pm

well that would suck if you started not pointing 100% straight down the hill.

Daniel Gesmer
Seismic Skate Sys.
Seismic Skate Sys.

Post by Daniel Gesmer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:52 pm

You can say that again!
Dan Gesmer
Head of Seismic Skate Systems
Email : dan@seismicskate.com
Tel : +1 720-937-8948

Doug Kadzban

steel bushings

Post by Doug Kadzban » Thu May 01, 2008 7:09 am

wouldn't guys hit like 50-60+ mph on their little 28" banana boards doing that though? i seem to recall hearing of a guy who did some insane speed with a steel bushing
I like my women like I like my trucks:
TALL, loose, and squeaky!

Daniel Gesmer
Seismic Skate Sys.
Seismic Skate Sys.

Post by Daniel Gesmer » Thu May 01, 2008 7:43 am

It's extremely difficult to reach speeds that high without the proper equipment and a very long, steep hill. For example, at the recent Texas Cold Fusion Sizzler event, very good racers with specialized downhill boards competed in a speed trap contest. Even with a long hill and unlimited pushes at the start, the winner only reached a speed of 41 mph.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sun May 04, 2008 11:37 pm

I helped with timing and support of Joel Kings World Record Jet Luge runs.

I think one run was up around 113mph on 85mm Speed vents . (The runs are averaged from two runs in an hour and his previous run was up around 92mph...)

The wheels held up completely. We'd had advice about balancing wheels, but being practical types we took the veiw that balancing wheels on something that was goindg to have weight on it any way was not worth worrying about. KJoel used stock Seismics out of the box, and only 1 set for all day.

That should answer your speed question!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IB50HNO9-jA