[2005] Slalom St. Louis 2005

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

[2005] Slalom St. Louis 2005

Post by Rick Stanziale » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:32 pm

Memorial Day Weekend 2005

Paul Graf

st. louis race

Post by Paul Graf » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:28 am

To anyone coming to the 2005 St. Louis race and needs a place to stay you are welcome to stay at my house. I just got a new couch and have a lots of floor space. I am just under a 1 hour drive to Tower Grove Park

Paul G.

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:47 pm

what's the scoop on the race, folks?.......downhill?....in a park or the city?.....got pics of last years?........race on Saturday or Sunday?......and nearby hotels....Paul, that's a nice offer on your spread, but i'd hate to be responsible when something gets broke...best off to just hide it in a hotel room

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

TOWER GROVE

Post by Rick Stanziale » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:46 pm

just got the word from GOAD

IT'S ON (saturday and sunday)

Jim Weatherwax
WAX

Post by Jim Weatherwax » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:45 am

thats the same weekend as Indian School.....

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:16 am

Are we talking about Tower Grove Park. The Tower Grove Park. Goad You Da Man Bro!!!! Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:04 pm

what's the poops on this race?.......looks like it's in a park....push start slalom?....outlaw or licensed?.......fee's?........i'll probably ride out for it, but i know the guys will have questions...can anybody let me know what it's about?

Hey Wax...that's true...but it looks like these two events will have different crowds.. Grass roots slalom vs. adrenaline pumpin speed....it should be ok

For us in the midwest, getting more local events is pretty important to give the sport a kick in the ass

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:37 pm

Here's some preliminary poop, guys.

SLALOM RACE ON MAY 29, 2005. As of March 16, 2005, it looks like it'll be a "permission" event, i.e. Goad got the go-ahead from the park's events coordinator to hold a race. Push start or ramp start is possible--hasn't been decided.

THE COURSE: Goad says it's gonna be "slalom." Maybe straight, maybe a hybrid with various spacings and offsets. The hill can accommodate either one. Also, MAYBE a Saturday evening outlaw GS at another location, but don't count on that just yet. We're still eyeing various locations.

RACE LOCATION (Sunday): Tower Grove Park in south St. Louis, S-shaped road, which we call "Spot 1" (same place as 2004 and 2003, for those of you who've been there before). The road is barricaded at the top, so there's no worry about cars straying onto the course up top.

SURFACE: EXCELLENT asphalt, good runout at the bottom (the race hill intersects another street, so you just turn right or left. Again, little or no worry about cars, as it gets very little traffic, ever). It's not a steep hill, but we can set courses that get you going plenty fast.

Depending on where we start the course, the top can be either slightly uphill (green line on photo), flat (blue line) or slightly downhill (orange line). The street is very slightly crowned, with a bit of off-camber (fall-away) at "the hammer," where it begins to turn right (yellow arrow). That's where it really starts to get fun. ;-) The rest of the way is a mellow downhill, but as I said above, you won't be hurtin' for speed. Trust me. Course(s) will likely end at or near the red line.

It's in a park, so there's lots of grass to sit on and plenty of shade if needed. Plenty of parking is available at the top of the hill, within 100 yards of the start. Restrooms are available at a pavilion just beyond the upper left corner of the photo. Then again, by the end of May, the foliage is fully grown in, so if you just can't hold your water...

ENTRY FEE: Yet to be determined, but it shouldn't be a whole lot.

MAP LINK: http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=ba ... name=&qty=

Info about Tower Grove Park: http://stlouis.missouri.org/parks/tower-grove/

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:41 pm

any chance of a banked slalom at wet willies?

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:11 am

Partying in St Lou for the weekend-----Good
Driving back to Detroit on Memorial Day----not good

I aint getting any younger

is there going to be a sign up sheet on the NCDSA calendar?

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:23 am

Tower Grove Park is my favorite slalom venue bar none over the past 3 years.

Jeff Mccullar

DAGGER RACE 2005

Post by Jeff Mccullar » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:21 am

THanks for telling me guys
thought DAGGERS stuck together

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:38 am

I believe Jack Smith said it was the best surface he had raced on. The asphalt is pristine. The Daggers treat everyone like family. Some of the coolest bros I know. Time to start saving up my pennies. Hi to Mary and Sasha Goad. Saw some classic match ups there Jack Smith VS Wes E, Rick 66 VS Chris Chaput. And who can forget me racing against the legendary C-Nova. Look forward to seeing you dudes soon. Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:13 pm

Forget? Never!

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:17 pm

the freak bros are there.c
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:07 pm

Hopefully.....graduation weekend for my daughter......(said with fingers crossed);-)

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:56 pm

Chicago's about 4 hours from Detroit...how far is St Lou from Chicago drive time?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:43 am

Detroit to St. Louis is 550 miles and it's interstate all the way. Anyone who CAN'T AVERAGE at least 70 mph on US interstates is a pussy and shouldn't even think about racing skateboards.

550/70 = 7.8 hours.

I do 525 miles straight home from Gaithersburg on a semi-regularly basis and can do it in under 7.5 hours. Usually, the only thing that slows me down is trying to get off of I-495 onto I-95 south. If you leave at noon on Friday, Chris, there's no reason you shouldn't be in your St. Louis hotel room no later than 8:00.

Unless you're a pussy. Then we'll understand :-P

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:46 am

heh heh......wise ass

seven hours it is....

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Getting around to races

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:15 pm

Chris,

Here's my rule of thumb: put your cruise control on 76 mph. That's 6 over most 70 mph interstate speeds. You can cruise and not worry about any blue lights. After five hours, you've gone 350 miles PLUS an additional 30 miles, which is about 25 minutes for a pit stop. You gotta stop and get gas unless you got a 40 gallon tank or get 40 mpg. Then hit the road again. Remember, I said AVERAGE 70 mph. That means cruising faster to allow for stops.

Trust me, on road trips any stops add up after a while. Next thing you know it's midnight and you're still not where you need to go. When hauling a long distance to a race, I try and allow plenty of time when I get there to depressurize. Getting in at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning and then trying to get up at 8:00 to go race is a great way to just ruin the whole weekend of skating.

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:24 pm

oh yeah, i dont mind the driving Wes.....I kinda like road trips...though the two times we went to Md. were pretty brutal since we got turned around a little (DC is one messed up loop)......thru mid-Mich when we go to Chicago, 90-100 is more the norm...it's a vast wasteland with nothing to see....only thing to slow me down is the wifee coming along ....i'll have to let her nap off.........see ya in St Lou?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:41 pm

Christopher Bara wrote:see ya in St Lou?
Chris,

Maybe. It depends. The Camaro is good to go with new brakes, tires and shocks. One thing, though, is starting to nag at me. I keep hearing all these horror stories about the ball joints failing on cars with over 150,000 miles and the front wheels falling off at highway speeds. It's not an old-wives tale and I've seen a couple of cars on the side of the road with the front wheel turned out completely wrong.

I'll probably consider the 1000 miles to St. Louis if I get these taken care of. The parts are $85 a piece and I can do the work in an afternoon. Just a question of time and money.

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:14 pm

st louis /chicago 3.5 hours for a mellow drive.freak bros are now rollin the new Draggin' Wagon.no more 540 after what it pulled on the way home from wv.any takers?its a 95 540i with a six speed.290 hp.ahhhh,i couldnt sell that car to anyone i know,but the new ride is an inferno red magnum hemi.heck,i think we can sleep in it too.cf
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:34 pm

I'll be there for Sat. only...

Jonathan, do you have a schedule setup yet?

Thanks, Tod

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Slalom St. Louis '05 Update - 4/5/2005

Post by Rick Stanziale » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:37 pm

Anyone planning on attending Slalom St. Louis '05 please send a Private Message to Jeff Goad from this message forum.

There will be no Contest Calendar sign up on NCDSA.

Thank you for your continued support of Grass Roots Slalom.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:58 am

Marcos and I and are planning on driving up to St Louis. Look forward to seeing my amigos the Daggers. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:56 pm

OK...my wife says St Louie is one of the best party towns in the lower 48 and she wants to come out to the race with me....is this a "spouse friendly" event?........and what hotels would be near the site?.........thanks

Andrew Eure

Post by Andrew Eure » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:48 pm

A Road Kill group is planning on coming up!

Is there a sign up anywhere?

Also, can any locals tell me what kind of drive it is from St Louis to the Louisville KY cement park? Thanks!

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:57 pm

Andrew Eure wrote:Is there a sign up anywhere?
Rick Stanziale wrote:Anyone planning on attending Slalom St. Louis '05 please send a Private Message to Jeff Goad from this message forum.

There will be no Contest Calendar sign up on NCDSA.

Thank you for your continued support of Grass Roots Slalom.

Jeff Mccullar

lousville is 4 hours straight down hwy. 64 its on bitch

Post by Jeff Mccullar » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:42 am

dagger race is on im rick james its a celebration bitches

Eric Moore
Eric Moore
Eric Moore

Post by Eric Moore » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:32 am

St. Louis is a race that I've meant to get to for the past couple years, and every year something has come up and I didn't make it.

Not this year......My flight is booked!

Ok, so now that I've committed myself, what's the real low-down? I saw Jonathan's post above about racing on Sunday, but is there going to be racing Saturday as well?

I may be looking for a couch/floor to crash on...

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:25 am

Eric I may be wrong but I believe Friday might be practice and Saturday is the race. I hope so. Because the Texas Outlaws are driving back to Texas on Sunday. Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Eric Moore
Eric Moore
Eric Moore

Post by Eric Moore » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:23 am

Jonathan's post up top says
<b>SLALOM RACE ON MAY 29, 2005...</b>
and according to my calendar the 29th is a Sunday.

Jonathan, Jeff, somebody, can we get an updated race schedule so people can plan their travel?

I'll be in town Friday night until Monday, so I'll be ready to race either day, or better, both!

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!!!

Post by Jonathan Harms » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:02 pm

Just spoke to Goad, briefly.

THE RACE IS SUNDAY, MAY 29.

We MAY be able to have a session, just for fun, on Saturday, but the official race itself is Sunday; that's the day he's got permission for. As I understand it, the thinking was, since it's Memorial Day weekend, most people would have Monday off.

We should have more firmed-up details after the weekend. Meantime, if you want to race, send Goad (or me) a PM to confirm.

Laura Bissell
Laura Bissell
Laura Bissell

Post by Laura Bissell » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:05 pm

66: Don't be surprised if the Eurenator pm's you and asks you where to sign up for the St. Louis race.

We love him, dammit, but he's slow, in every sense...

We'll be there, and we might need a floor.

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Tue May 03, 2005 11:03 pm

hey gang...next race on the calendar is yours.....i know you have the park locked up, but is there a list of the people that are signed up anywhere?........It's a pretty long drive to make if we dont know what to expect...

anybody?

Scott Ward

Post by Scott Ward » Mon May 09, 2005 4:36 am

Looking better that I may be able to come down to St. Louis. Should get firmed up this week.

What time is racing on Sunday? I don't want to schedule a flight on Sunday that will make me miss the end of the race.

John Dillon

Yo Andrew Eure!

Post by John Dillon » Wed May 11, 2005 5:35 pm

WesE and myself hit up Louisville on the way to STL in '03 and we hit it again w/Leo on the way back...it's worth the trip...while u r there c if u can kidnap Sean Dawkins...as he lives in Louisville........just beware between Louisville and STL....that's where WesE got a tix for speeding...I know he's fast...he told the cop he was just practicing for the slalom race but the cop didn't buy it! Louisville is a complete zoo during the day...hit it up in the middle of the night. There are plenty of other rad crete sk8 pks along the way too!

Paul Graf

Post by Paul Graf » Fri May 13, 2005 2:58 am

If anyone needs a place to crash for the St. Louis race I have a brand new couch and a large carpeted living room.

paul graf

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Fri May 13, 2005 5:52 am

If anyone needs a place to crash for the St. Louis race I have a brand new couch and a large carpeted living room.

paul graf
Hey Paul I would be in your debt if you could take me in, I may have one or two others with me.

Marcos Texas Outlaws

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Fri May 13, 2005 8:22 am

Paul the Texas Outlaws would be in your debt. I myself will not be able to make it due to my left knee is in the healing process. Promise to be there next year. The Daggers are some of the coolest dudes I know. And very fast. See you bros in Chi-Town. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws

Paul Graf

Post by Paul Graf » Fri May 13, 2005 3:12 pm

Hey Paul I would be in your debt if you could take me in, I may have one or two others with me.
Paul the Texas Outlaws would be in your debt. I myself will not be able to make it due to my left knee is in the healing process. Promise to be there next year. The Daggers are some of the coolest dudes I know. And very fast. See you bros in Chi-Town. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws
Eddy,

I will see you in chicago. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Marcos,

It will be a honor to have the Outlaws in my house.
here is my number if you need to call me 618-258-0342
see you in STL

paul

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Fri May 13, 2005 3:51 pm

Marcos,

It will be a honor to have the Outlaws in my house.
here is my number if you need to call me 618-258-0342
see you in STL

paul
Thanks Paul I Will call when it gets closer.

Marcos

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Fri May 13, 2005 4:52 pm

OK, enough of the love-fest. I would say, "Get a room, you guys," but, um, I guess that's what you're talking about. :-)

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Fri May 13, 2005 5:32 pm

Jonathan Harms Posted: 13 May 2005 06:52 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, enough of the love-fest. I would say, "Get a room, you guys," but, um, I guess that's what you're talking about.
What's wrong harms? Jealous???!!! :) Gee you have all that other sakers at your house anyway!

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Fri May 13, 2005 9:06 pm

HERE'S SOME UPDATED INFO

We will be racing on Saturday AND Sunday.

Saturday will be an "outlaw" single-lane, jam-style race on a wide-open hybrid. Show up sometime around noon, throw down as many runs as you want--best time wins. I put "outlaw" in quotes because, while we don't have official permission to use the hill on Saturday, as long as we keep it cool, we shouldn't have any problems. We can race as long as anyone wants, and starting at 7:00 we have a shelter reserved at the other end of the park for a barbecue. We can hang out there until the park closes at 10:00, and then if anyone's interested we will organize a downtown parking-garage session. We've got three excellent garages less than 10 minutes from Tower Grove, and within a five-minute skate of each other. Longboards and slalom boards both work just about equally well in all of them. Some guy named Goad has extra longboards that he'd probably let you use.

As noted previously, Sunday will be the "official" race, with practice starting around 10:00 a.m. and racing starting, well, some time after that. We'll run another (different) hybrid course, this time dual-lane and head-to-head. If time and weather permit, and if there's enough interest, we may run a "classic" straight-cone race as well.

The beautiful ramps we had two years ago were lost due to a collective case of rectal-cranial inversion, so all races both days will be push start, and will be just "slalom"--not tight at all. They'll be easy to make, but challenging at high speed. No need to bring your small wheels and narrow trucks, unless that's your thing. There's plenty of runout and plenty of shade. Come on down/up/over!

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Fri May 13, 2005 10:31 pm

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy wrote:
Jonathan Harms Posted: 13 May 2005 06:52 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, enough of the love-fest. I would say, "Get a room, you guys," but, um, I guess that's what you're talking about.
What's wrong harms? Jealous???!!! :) Gee you have all that other sakers at your house anyway!
*angel frank: dont post it. take your fingers off the keyboard.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sat May 14, 2005 5:49 am

Very good Frank you were able to fight off the dark side. The force is strong with in you. Paul what I meant to say is that The Texas Outlaws are house broken. I am definately going to miss you guys. Jeff, Mary and Sasha are excellent host and friends. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sat May 14, 2005 2:22 pm

JBH,

I'm Square and I'll be there.........and remember to respect your elders...i.e...No fair kickin my ass on my wheels.... ;-)

Anyone who hasn't been to Tower Grove.... you'll love it!!! it's the type of grade you can
make as intimidating as you'd like with just how much effort you want to attack the course with...

Jonathan, let me know if you guys need help and I'll get outta here EARLY

See youz all soon, Tod

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Sat May 14, 2005 3:02 pm

Hey Tod.....sorry pal, but the old "Gee, dont beat me too bad" line aint gonna work for you anymore...Not after Athens....

but you did get a good two years use out of it!