radikal or split?

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Noah Koski

radikal or split?

Post by Noah Koski » Tue May 03, 2005 3:50 am

im going to buy a new back truck for my roe unlimited and im not sure if i sould get a split-fire or a radikal dragon tail. Witch one is better?
SLALOM!
"Pain is temporary..........Glory is forever"

Eric Brammer

Split-Fire

Post by Eric Brammer » Wed May 04, 2005 3:54 am

In my mind, the extra money for the Radikal rear can be better spent...
However, the Dragon's Tail IS adjustable, and is of a very high quality. Those things contribute to it's value, no doubt.

The Split-Fire is a more basic truck, but it works quite well. In terms of performance, I'm not convinced that the Radikal is quite worth the cost difference. I'd be inclined to get the Split-fire, and spend the cash saved on faster bearings or better bushings.

Bottom line, you ought to ride both types of truck before you buy. Either truck will get you more traction than an off-the-shelf truck such as an RTS or Madrid.

The added features on the Radikal may play into your style of riding.
The relative simplicity of the Split-Fire may get you to a more consistent level. Predictability has it's own value in training or racing.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Eric Moore
Eric Moore
Eric Moore

Post by Eric Moore » Wed May 04, 2005 5:41 am

I would recommend getting a splitfire DS (as opposed to the original splitfire). In my opinion this is the most versatile truck on the market due to the fact that it fits with any Randal baseplate. I run it in the rear with a 35 degree Randal baseplate, and this setup gives more traction than the TTC I was running previously. Later if you want a different option up front, a 50 or 60 degree Randal baseplate makes the DS into a quick turning, stable front truck. I have ridden other people's rear Radikals, and they seem like great trucks, but I haven't ridden them enough to make a thorough comparison. But for half the cost, the split definitely offers great performance.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Wed May 04, 2005 8:56 am

split

rmn
Last edited by Ramón Königshausen on Thu May 05, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Noah Koski

Post by Noah Koski » Thu May 05, 2005 3:45 am

ok so i guess im getting a split
SLALOM!
"Pain is temporary..........Glory is forever"

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Post by Steve Collins » Thu May 05, 2005 9:35 pm

Eric Moore wrote:I would recommend getting a splitfire DS (as opposed to the original splitfire). In my opinion this is the most versatile truck on the market due to the fact that it fits with any Randal baseplate. I run it in the rear with a 35 degree Randal baseplate, and this setup gives more traction than the TTC I was running previously. Later if you want a different option up front, a 50 or 60 degree Randal baseplate makes the DS into a quick turning, stable front truck. I have ridden other people's rear Radikals, and they seem like great trucks, but I haven't ridden them enough to make a thorough comparison. But for half the cost, the split definitely offers great performance.

I haven't tried the DS in back but I'm running a DS107 on a 60 degree Randal luge baseplate in front with no wedging. I like it a lot. I recommend turning the kingpin around so the nut is up top rather than in the baseplate. If you do that, I highly recommend that you JB Weld the kingpin in place, or else it ratlles around and adds slop. You can still pop it out with a hammer later if you need to replace it.

Eric Brammer

Randal base kingpin flip

Post by Eric Brammer » Thu May 05, 2005 10:02 pm

Actually, a few strands of Plumber's Tape will take that slop away. Wrap the kingpin tight, but one layer of about 3/8". Put that in the freezer for about 1/2 hr., then pop it into the baseplate. Should be snug for awhile. Oh, and no brazing/sodering required.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Eric Moore
Eric Moore
Eric Moore

Post by Eric Moore » Wed May 11, 2005 6:22 am

Another thing that I really like about the split-fire DS compared to the Radikal are the axles. I run a front Radikal and I love it, but it annoys the hell out me that the outer bearing is riding partially on the threaded part of the axle. Also I'm always paranoid that an axle is going to back out so I'm constantly wrenching them in. The split-fire DS's (both the 90 and 107) have awesome, super-long axles so both bearings stay on the smooth, 8mm part. And if you want to go wider, just add spacers. You don't need to change axles and worry about those changable axles loosening up on you.