We CAN share the course with inline skaters

Discussion Forum
Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:59 pm

Watching Scott Peer skate the course at the JPL Outlaw Round 2 Giant Slalom, it was a shame that he did not have others to compete with.

I think that slalom skateboarders can easily share the same course with inline skaters.

It is all good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: glenn on 2003-02-06 19:28 ]</font>

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:28 am

Glenn S has brought up an important point.

A good amount of credit to the slalom resurgence should go to Scott Peer, an Inline skater who started the West La College race series. The series was to help fund The Westwood Ski Club. If it were not for Mr. Peers efforts and later those of Marcus Reitema IGSA- skateboard slalom might not have gotten a second chance.

I think it is great that Scott ran with the WLAC riders at JPL.

So looking at our sparse demographics.... It isn't easy to get a group of slalomers together over say....5 guys in any one practice.

If it's just two guys practicing you have to wait until the first guy finishes the course and resets any knocked cones before you go. That takes a while. Having 4 skaters speeds things up a bit. Having about 10 skaters seems to be the quickest. IF we had 7 inline skaters at a course with 3 slalomskateboarders everyone would get more runs. (seeing as about 1/2 the people sit out at any given time).

Having more people makes it more interesting to watch, makes it easier to set up and break down. Lets you leave the course running while a few go to get food etc. And if the inliners happen to be the lovely Swedish Bikini Team at least there would be someone willing to massage you after practice and someone to ply with offers of free drinks etc.

I know people are thinking "Kill the Fruitbooters!". Whenever a thread lays quiet I ussually think its because people are in silent disagreement, So I'm breaking the silence.

But serious I happen to know 3 cool fruitbooters. Scott Peer, Hank Hughes, and Victor Luke. Scott helps run WLAC, Hank Helped to start and run the Memorial Drive Slalom Course, and Victor Luke helped to run the Tavern on the Green Course as well as run the Dead Road slalom course in Central Park.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Gilmour on 2003-02-06 22:33 ]</font>

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:57 am

Bladders SUCK!!!!!!

Scott Peer and his friends ROCK!!!!!!

There is a differance.

Maria Carrasco
SK8KINGS - ISSA Vice President
SK8KINGS - ISSA Vice President

Post by Maria Carrasco » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:02 pm

Right on John G -- Scott Peer really deserves alot of credit for helping slalom grow through the WLAC racing series. From the first events we attended in 1999 (also to the credit of Roger Hickey and Perry Fizzer) to present -- slalom racing has grown by leaps and bounds. Our WLAC race days are always a great time -- Thanks Scott!

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:17 pm

I stood on the sidelines and watched the inliners drop the hill at the last WLAC event and I really enjoyed watching.

Very smooth.

I have no issues with inline enthusiasts who run cones...

Yes, big thanks to Scott Peer and his organization.

Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel

Post by Pierre Gravel » Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:24 pm

Last summer if it weren't for bladers, i would have been alone most of the time here in Montréal. And some of them are really cute girls wich is really good. I had to negociate with them to run 6 foot oc courses instead of 5 oc and they were cool about it.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Thu May 22, 2003 1:00 pm

this weekend- rollerskaters inliners slalomskateboarders will all share the same race course at the trocadero near the eiffel tower

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu May 22, 2003 5:35 pm

The following describes my only beef with inliners. Many things that I do on a skateboard can be hacked out and accomplished sooner on inline skates. Because of that, they think they are hot shit when in fact they are just unstylish lamers. Female inliners don't usually behave this way, so they are always welcome by me. The act of inlining itself is acceptable to me as a sport in its own. I just don't like when people compare inliner's results with that of skateboarders - because they are incomparable. If inliners want to share the same slalom course with me, that's fine, for the reasons stated by John.

To all that are going, good luck with the Paris race. If it had been announced with more time beforehand, I would have been able to go (I needed more time to get a passport).
On 2003-02-07 16:24, Pierre Gravel wrote:
I had to negociate with them to run 6 foot oc courses instead of 5 oc and they were cool about it.

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Thu May 22, 2003 5:40 pm

The difference is, there are bladers who say they grind.......they are sliding shoes, nothing else.

chris

You can only grind a truck, not plastic

(I should make thet my sig)

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu May 22, 2003 6:21 pm

At the Paris Slalom World Cup 2003, May 24-25, the inline skaters will use the same tight slalom course as we do, and the special slalom (or hybrid).

It'll be interesting to compare times. I have no idea if skaters are faster than inline skaters or vice versa, but then again the rules are not identical, neither are the time penalties.

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon May 26, 2003 5:03 pm

This is not to be rude but I don't see much simularities between skating and rollerskating. For me it's two different worlds. Off course we could use the same course but so we could with others as well. Bmx'ers, joggers and wheelchairs. Not that I would give them the finger if they wanted to try out my slalom course. Hey, I'm a gentleman. But I would defineatly prefer skating alone than together with rollerskaters.

Having competitions together with rollerskaters is possible. Why not bring our tennisrackets and golfclubs as well next time. Everything is possible. But again I prefer by far going to competions for skaters only.

I don't know why rollerskates gives me the chills. Maybe Vlad could give me a psychoanalysis on this.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:18 pm

Well I tried to fit right in in Paris and look what happened. All the competitions were cancelled for rollerskating right after I signed up.

I think what interests Rollerskaters and Inline skaters at some "long standing" slalom courses is different from what typically interests slalom skateboarders.

The inline skaters on the whole ussually seem to be less interested with brute speed than with freestyle finnesse. Ussually they are satisfied with just a line of straight cones and try to perfect forwards two foot, backwards two foot, forwards one foot, freak show, shopping cart etc.

Here is a list of tricks formulated by Inliners that still frequent my course on Memorial Drive.

http://www.slalomskater.com/tricks/

Of course there are some Rollerskaters and Inliners that are interested in speed- and a timing system helps to bring that out.

I ran two slalom courses for a while and then they began to run themselves. If there was a cash prize I would enter their speed slalom contest on skates and spend the money on buying more Turners. It drove the inliners crazy that a skateboarder who never practiced inline slalom would win their competitions and after a while they stopped having speed slalom competitions.

I do see having both Inliners and slalomskateboarders on the same track as an appealing sight for ski resort operators as they might feel they could market to both Skiers and Snowboarders in the off season.

Also the Inliners have more women involved and if the Dad has a slalom skateboard and so does the son, the Mom might be on Inline skates and it would be a pity for her to be left out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Gilmour on 2003-06-02 10:57 ]</font>