Should I enter...?

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Robbie Lyons
Robbie
Robbie

Should I enter...?

Post by Robbie Lyons » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:35 pm

The La Costa Open is coming up as most of you know and I am really considering entering. I have only slalomed for a very short period of time, but I think by entering and skating with more experienced slalomers, than it will make me better. I am only 16 so the entry fee would only be $15. The problem is, I havent really skated within the past 4-5 weeks due to a broken wrist. Within that time I have received a Rt-x Offset truck for my Axe II and I havent gotten to use it yet. My question to all of you more experienced riders: Should I enter or should I wait until I have a bit more skill so I dont humiliate myself?

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:37 pm

hey

easy

humiliating yourself?

everybody starts sometime

your first race?

go for it

just do it

all the seasoned folks there will have respect for you and for your decision.

you will see a lot of folks motivating you

that's how you earn respect

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Robbie

Post by Marty Schaub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:51 pm

My first run at La Costa was in 1975 with Henry Hester, Skolberg, T Ryan and all of the big boys watching. I was riding a Bruce Logan Earth Ski Model with Bennett's & RR 2's. I could have stayed on the sidelines but I didn't. It was the best decision I ever made.

You have an AXE, so use it. Sign up, seek me out and we'll make sure your set-up's are good. Then go out and show everyone that even though your not a Jason Mitchell, you dig slalom and the sky's the limit. Because you can be the next Jason Mitchell but only if you try.
La Costa Boy For Life

Robbie Lyons
Robbie
Robbie

Post by Robbie Lyons » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:02 pm

Thanks guys for the replies, you made my decision alot easier...Both of you are right, I need to start somehow.

Marty, I will definitely meet up with you and show you my setup. Hopefully everything is tweaked right and hopefully by then I will be used to the offset. Right now it is a Rt-x in front wedged 20*, Rt-x offset in back dewedged a few degrees (Trucks is mounted on the tail like all of you know) 83a Zig Zags in front, 80a Zig Zags in back (I also have 4 80a Manx).

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:30 pm

Good luck Robbie. I was going to race at this contest until my right knee left me. You will dig the STOKE at the contest. Just remember one thing my friend Marcos allways told me when I would go to a contest with him " what ever you do, do not blow the gate" Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:31 am

Silly question...............really!
Had to grin. I hope you decide right.

trish erickson

first race

Post by trish erickson » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:04 am

ROBBIE!

Yes you should go! I'm a newbie as well. I went to my first sanctioned race this past winter in TEXAS. I am hooked. Competition brings out the best in everyone. BUT: not only is it about pushing yourself but the people are sooo great. It's like one big happy family! I race to the bottom but it takes forever to get back to the top because we tend to be a social crowd and everybody wants to chat and give encouragement. It's the coolest thing! SO GO! Who cares what you ride, how you ride, but that you try. Really, can I say it again....go race!

Utah Trish
ts

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Post by Steve Collins » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:13 am

My first two slalom races were tight at Bicknell and giant at La Costa, both in 2004.

I was incredibly stoked by both and on a high for weeks afterwards.

Go for it, you'll dig it!

Robbie Lyons
Robbie
Robbie

Post by Robbie Lyons » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:40 am

Hey! Thanks guys for persuading me.

I ended up getting 1st place in the Junior's Giant Slalom and 2nd in the Juniors Tight Slalom. It was loads of fun and I got to meet a lot of cool people. I am really glad I entered and am already looking forward to the next slalom race.

Robbie

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:23 am

Congratulations!!