Ma, NH, training days.

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:26 pm

Paul, I may try to get to Magnolia on Sunday with a few guys. Call my cell Sunday if you're interested. (978) 317-0165

Paul Pellerin

Post by Paul Pellerin » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:44 pm

Derek,

I would like to skate on Sunday. Let me know what time.

Thanks.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Thu May 26, 2005 3:19 pm

If it ever stops raining, I will be skating at magnolia woods this Monday (5/30). If any of you are free lets set up a time and get together and skate. I was thinking of some time in the afternoon but if the weather looks better in the AM lets do it then. Last year on Memorial day weekend the gate was closed and we had the whole hill to our selfs. See you all soon.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu May 26, 2005 4:01 pm

Is it really memorial day already? It feels like february.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu May 26, 2005 7:15 pm

Hop a flight to St. Louis this weekend. It'll be sunny and 75! :-)

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Mon May 30, 2005 2:10 pm

We will be practicing at Magnolia Woods today from 9:30 to noon. I hope that some of you can make it.

Paul Pellerin

Ma, Nh, training days

Post by Paul Pellerin » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:00 am

Glenn, Derek, Karl

When is the next weekend practice session?

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:44 pm

Practice session Wednesday 8/3 5:30pm at 11 Kondelin Rd, Gloucester. This is in the Cape Ann Industrial Park. Route 128 to route 133 east, right on to Magnolia Ave, right on to Kondelin Rd. The pavement and pitch are close to the Derby Hill at the farm. We should have a timer set up so come on down and get the gear dialed in. If we get booted out of here we will ride a Magnolia Woods.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:04 pm

Magnolia Woods
I will be running cones today 4/9 at 3:00-5:30. I will bring some extra gear for anyone that wants to give it a try.

Nick Chamberlain

Post by Nick Chamberlain » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:57 pm

Ill definatly be there today Glenn

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:02 pm

Good sess guys. Yeah we decided to drive up to Magnolia Woods on the fly simply because we could. Which if you knew us in 2004 you'll understand why we enjoyed doing that so much.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:59 pm

It felt great to get out and skate after a long winter. We had five skaters at out first session Millie, Karl, Brian, Nick and myself. Nick is relatively new to slalom but was running clean by the end of the day. He soon could be up there with the top jrs riders. Millie was looking good she seems to have a new confidence on the board and was riding much faster than last year. Brian was looking very fast but was having trouble dialing in his setup, he was hitting a few cones but was looking strong and aggresive, when he gets that board working look out. Karl is getting better and better he was rining fast smooth and clean. Every time I see him he has improved, and since the last farm series race he has made a huge step, way to go Karl. I hope to see you all soon. Glenn

John Friends

warm up session

Post by John Friends » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:07 am

Great to hear you guys are out there training. I wish I was an hour or so closer to you. We hooked up with abassador Joe and a couple of the ct high school kids in Northampton yesterday. A local long boarder (eric) joined us and I introduced my two kids to slalom, Caleb (9) & Ellie (7), plus a 17 yr old exchange student from brazil (lucas) who is living with us. An alpine snowboard buddy of mine, Steve Fleck, also checked it out for the first time. A couple other snowboard guys from the worchester/boston area couldn't make it but really want to get slalom decks and start running cones.

My son Caleb was getting the knack of it riding nicky's deck and Lucas, Steve and Eric (longboarder) were getting the hang of it. Ellie made her first turns and was happy to be riding for the first time.

Unfortunately I will not be able to make the NJ race but am planning to bring Lucas & Caleb to the Needham HS race. Steve has to attend his college graduation cerimonies that day, but he would like to get to train whenever he can.

Missed catching up with you Glen at northstar, I was there. Very impressed with Millie's results. congrats on the bx podium and great job in freestyle and alpine to boot.

JF

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:19 am

It's great to see the season warming up again in New England. Chances are I won't be anywhere near everyone this summer, as my intership possobilites are scattered all over the country. Ideally I'll be in Santa Cruz at Giro... I'm just waiting on them at this point! Very exciting times.

John, it's great to hear Caleb and Ellie are making turns. Last time I saw Ellie she was stomping around the dining hall in very large rainboots.

I'd love to make the Needham race but I'll be peparing for a weeklong trip to Taiwan for a design competition. Let's hope I get some cash out of it.

Henry J

Eric Brammer

The Dam

Post by Eric Brammer » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:06 pm

I'll be there on most Saturdays thru April, weather/gas money permitting. The Rangers are still being friendly about practices, Races, however may require 'signing off' before occuring. I'll ask, and post about that soon.
Oh, and if anyone sees Tom, ask him why it took 30 years to back?!
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Alan Schroeder
Shaggy

Dam party

Post by Alan Schroeder » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:23 pm

Party at the Dam on Saturday, might run some cones too!!!!
shaggy

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:31 pm

Please reserve Sept 11& 12 for a clinic and race in Antrim, NH as part of their harvest festival.

Joe

Eric Brammer

The Dam

Post by Eric Brammer » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:01 pm

I'll be there for Saturday. They've been keeping the gate locked lately, so anyone showing up, be ready to skate in.

The Springfield office has given me verbal conformation that 'Contests', ie The Farm, will likely be needing written permission to hold a Race.

Practice, or just freecarving, no problems however.

IF the gate is locked (early season) on Saturday, I'll likely setup on the hill by the pagoda. I'll try to bring Tom along, Adam definately. One nice thing with gate locked is NO CARS!!
:-)
If it's open, I'll scoot down to Garage/lot. Temps are supposed to be in the upper 60's, sunny and bright!

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:13 pm

I am going to try and skate today 6/25 from 4:00pm to 6:00pm at Magnolia Woods in Gloucester (if the the roads dry). If anyone is around and would like to skate, meet me there.
Glenn

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:20 am

It started raining as i was heading over there. See you all soon,
Glenn

Nick Chamberlain

Post by Nick Chamberlain » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:30 am

Hey Glenn, I have been wanting to get out so badly lately. Since I got my Roe from adam in boston that day I have only ran cones once and it felt so nice. Also I finally got my licence so I can pretty much drive to any practice now :)

Eric Brammer

Boston Kids

Post by Eric Brammer » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:02 pm

Hey, Nick, I'm glad Adam's ol' Roe is workin' for you!! That's a good ride for T.S., should get you 'pumped' for the Farm Series.
I wanna give a big shout out to Karl's crew down there! You guys have a great spot there at the Arborteum. Bring brooms, though. You could easily make the 'Y' intersection your runout and get a lot more out of that hill.
BTW, thanks for the T-shirt! I'll be sportin' that when I'm skating around up North here. :-)

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:25 pm

I will be skating at Magnolia Woods today during lunch 12:00-1:30. If anyone is around and wants to skate see you there.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:57 pm

Just finished skating with Nick at Magnolia. It was a great session about 80 deg with a 15mph tail wind. I am going to try and skate again tonight in Beverly, I am trying to get ready for Hood River. I have been skating at St Johns School parking lot (111 New Balch St, Beverly, MA). I can get a 30 cone TS. I will be there from 6-7:30.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:12 pm

I am going to skate at Magnolia Woods tonight 6:30-8:00.

Nick Chamberlain

Post by Nick Chamberlain » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:09 pm

Ill try to make it tonight Glenn

Nick Chamberlain

Post by Nick Chamberlain » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:35 am

Well Today I headed over to Magnolia Woods to go and check it out and the road is still wicked nice. There isn't any sand on it at all because it is gated off all winter, and the whole hill (all the way from the top parking lot) is clear of debris with the exception of a few sticks near the gate. The only problem is that the gate is still closed so you have to park off to the side of it. but today I did that and a maintenance guy came up and didn't say anything to me aside from a friendly hello.

Today I set a really easy course for my two friends who are learning to skate, but it was pretty nice with the 20mph tailwind we were getting there. Here are a couple pics from today...

This was our method of holding down the "cones" with all the wind :)

So this place is good to go for the year. I will be there tomorrow and next Sunday afternoon most likely so give me a call at 978-239-6211 if there is any interest in people coming

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:04 pm

Nick,
I skated at Magnolia today during lunch. I could see your chalk marks. I am snowboarding this weekend but if you want to skate after 5:00 on a week night let me know and I will meet you there.
Glenn

Nick Chamberlain

Post by Nick Chamberlain » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:39 am

that sounds cool, I talked to Karl last night and we might be trying to meet up there next week at some time. And yea, my friends ended up waisting all of my chalk so I ended up running the ts course at the botttom, and that course is really hard, I was hitting so many cones.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:25 am

Oooh I know that course!

http://www.slalomspot.com/video/karl/karl_ts2.mov

I miss my blue wefunk :(.

I'll be up hanging out in Saugus and in Salem next week. If it gets over 45 degrees I'll go throw down a nice course from the top.

I'm on spring break so I'm flexible when are good times for other people?
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Nick Chamberlain

Post by Nick Chamberlain » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:48 am

I checked Magnolia today and there is still some snow on the road but it is almost all gone so it should be good in a day or two.

So how does Friday sound for some skating at Magnolia. The weather as of now calls for some rain Thursday night and for Friday to have a high of about 50.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:04 pm

I can be there Friday at 5:15pm.

Nick Chamberlain

Post by Nick Chamberlain » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:00 pm

I just talked to Karl on the phone and it looks good for tomorrow. We will meet at magnolia at around 3:30 or 4 and stay until everyone decided to leave or gets tired

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:23 am

Absolutely great session today. The weather has finally opened up and we made good use of it.

Nick Chamberlain got all his friends into slalom, these kids rip. The dudes are totally stoked.

The head to head we set was incredible. Never had so much fun at a practice session.

Glenn Chapman was keeping the stoke going, laying down some knowledge to the younger skaters in between fast smooth runs.

Adam Proctor is learning so much more and the dude is starting to rip on the smaller boards.

Get that video up! I want to show some of that to sponsors.

Let's do it again soon!
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:01 pm

First day's Session
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBRWavAn-ps

Day Two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eUUGfAIxIg

Anyone who wants some coaching shoot me an email KarlATslalomspot.com.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Middlesex Fells SoapBox Derby Track

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:26 pm

We just found this killer new hill. Soapbox Derby Hill with fresh asphalt, just needs a sweeping. 15 minutes north of downtown boston, right off 1 93 in Stoneham. The park is similar to the arboretum. This track is very similar to Hobby park, although not as steep, I'll admit. Perfect for Hybrid slalom.

It was paved last year!! No traffic, no bullshit. Plenty of parking.

We are seriously considering changing venues for the upcoming needham race.

Come join us for a cone session this Saturday March 31st around 10 am Dual Hybrid slalom as many cones as we want.

Forecast calls for Sunny and mid 60s, perfect slalom weather!!

DIRECTIONS ARE HERE WITH A GOOD MAP

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trail ... ectMSF.htm
Once you get to the parking lot just park and walk up the hill and to the right.

Contact KARL@SLALOMSPOT.COM
Last edited by Karl Floitgraf on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

T Whalen

Derby Hill?

Post by T Whalen » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:51 am

Karl,

Do you know if that is Derby Hill Jim Siener mentioned a while back?

Terry

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:49 pm

I will try and make it around 10:30am. I will talk to Ben and see if him and his friends want to go. Millie is in CA for a snowboard contest so she is out. I will call Derek and see if he is in. I will put some new batteries in the timer. See you all tomorrow.

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Post by Jim Siener » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:44 pm

Terry, it is the same hill although I didn't know that they finally paved it. Also everyone should know that the Sheepfold is a very popular dog run area. Lots of barking dogs.

Miguel Marco

Re: Middlesex Fells SoapBox Derby Track

Post by Miguel Marco » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:48 pm

Karl Floitgraf wrote:We are seriously considering changing venues for the upcoming needham race.
If it's a SoapBox Derby track with new pavement, DO IT!

And the next day, on Sunday, everybody racing at the Needham Open should head out to this race in NH, 3 hours from Boston:

Two races in one weekend within easy driving distance!
More info and pics of the race site:
http://www.gravitysportsinternational.c ... course.htm

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:37 am

On saturday I went by the Arboretum for the first time this year. Mario and I worked on a tight course with an S turn through the whole course.

Check out the video. http://www.slalomspot.com/video/2007/arboretum07.mov

Anyone want to skate when the weather gets nice again?
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:28 pm

Linkee no workee. :-(

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:11 pm

Slalomspot.com's server is temporarily down for a couple hours while my host upgrades. They didn't tell me about it until all my files were gone!

Never fear, there's always youtube!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-9OogABbrDg
Hope you like it.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:20 pm

Thanks. Much mo betta.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:48 am

Anyone want to go to the Soap Box hill on sunday??
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:56 pm

I am in, I may also be bringing two new riders. So if possible I would like to set an easy gs (easier than last time) for the newbies. I would be willing to set up my timer for the A-B racers. Karl pick the time and I will see you there.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:05 am

Well the only thing to worry about is everyone getting enough parking: so we want to meet around 9:30 am and be skating at 10 just so we can beat some of the Dog Walkers there. If anyone can carpool it will make it easier as we have no yet found a good place for additional parking.

Glenn,

I am super excited that you've got some more new people coming but I don't want to hold everyone back on a less technical course. It's always a struggle to find the right balance of making it easy enough for new guys and technical enough so it's exciting for the more experienced skaters.

The Fells Soapbox hill is designed for TS. My goal is to set there one day with a course all under 7 footers. But obviously not yet. I think Glenn, Bryan and myself can come up with a really good 'tech flow' course for everyone.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:15 pm

If people are in to it, I think we could set two courses a B-C course Hybrid and a A-B level TS 7ft and under. See you all at 9:30 and we can talk about it. We may need a few brooms to sweep off the leftovers of last weeks storm, I will bring one if any one else has room please bring an extra.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:10 am

SOAPBOX SLALOM JAM #2 VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgW_gqEgUoI

Killer session everyone! If anyone has any ideas of what you want to practice we can switch it up next time just let me know.

If sunday looks good would anyone want to throw down a practice session?
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:09 am

This sunday May 6th at the Soap Box hill we will be doing a dry run for the Needham Race. Glenn will bring the timer and we will qualify everyone on one course and then bracket it out head to head.

The Needham Race is only 3 and half weeks away- we're getting pumped up with practice, this sunday will give everyone a chance to get timed. Whose down? EH?!
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW