IGSA rulebook - ISSA rulebook

general rules, special-tight-giant rules

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Robert Thiele

Do we need an official, elaborate, and generally accepted rulebook?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 16

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

IGSA rulebook - ISSA rulebook

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:35 pm

Back in 2002 there existed an IGSA National Ranking for the US:

click here

Would it be possible to use this rule book as a guideline for an official ISSA rulebook? Or would it even be possible to link them together? (In the IGSA Rulebook there existi rules for slalom but they don't make too much sense I think....)

And for the case that there should be a real poll, it ought to be made on a big race (or on several races) with racers signing a list or sanction sheet - not just over the Internet.

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Yes we need a rulebook.

Post by Pat Chewning » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:02 am

JRAD started the process to get the rules updated and written.

That stalled with his departure.

We can restart that process soon, probably right after the season ends -- and be done by 2008.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:20 am

But where is that process?

rmn

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Post by Steve Collins » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:00 am

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... .php?f=174

I agree it would be good to complete the above process.

Right now the polls only ask if we need each rule. At the risk of having the finger pointed at me to do so, I suggest that someone needs to set up a good procedure for modifying, adding and removing them.

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

RULES OVERHAUL

Post by Steve Collins » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:38 am

I propose that a copy of the most current rules be circulated by email to every known slalom participant (and also posted) with a fixed date for comments, additions and revisions to be returned. I am willing to collate all the comments together into a document for subsequent distribution and review.

Would the 1995 rules that J-Rad was posting be considered the most current? Should we completely abandon them and start from scratch?

I am willing to personally push this effort. Let me know if you feel if it should wait until after the Worlds or if you think we might benefit from doing it in-season.

Eric Brammer

Post by Eric Brammer » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:25 am

Stephen, the '95 rules are likely to be the most commonly used rules to date. They shouldn't be 'scrapped', but rather reconsidered. I don't feel that Slalom has evolved so quickly as to outdate rules from 12 years ago, even though those are reaslistically a complilation of rules that previously seemed to work. But, that's kinda my point. It ain't really broke, so do you Need to fix it? Yup, but it requires Maintenance, not an overhaul.

Your offer to collate the existing rules and such is very generous. Just beware of how much 'addenda' this might generate. And, in that, I hope common sense and practicality will govern any additions or subtractions to the current rules, and that fairness/'level playing field' agendas get equal footing with progressive ideas/innovation in how rulings are brought to bear. We need to be succinct, impartial (no favoritism), and leave room for where-ever Skateboarding's [usually] Free Spirit takes this part of the sport. Who knows where 'banked slalom' might end up in, oh, ten years? Would 'loops' be included? I can hope...

Nonetheless, 4 wheels (or more) and a board that lean-steers, goes around (not over) the cones, and a timed start/finish are the minimum basics. Start from there, move Forward.
:-D
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Re: RULES OVERHAUL

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:30 am

Steve Collins wrote:I propose that a copy of the most current rules be circulated by email to every known slalom participant (and also posted) with a fixed date for comments, [...]
E-Mail won't work. There are too many people (also good racers) that do not use E-Mail in a way this would work out properly. Also, the most efficient it is to distribute that very document at the all the ISSA Events (especially at those with higher statuses). Like this, current issues can/could also be discussed right on the spot. The problem with Internet discussions is that not everybody is able to catch up and most of the points get lost or do not get a common feedback as it would be possible in a verbal open discussion.

rmn

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:15 pm

Steve, that's a gracious offer. What on earth possessed you to suggest it? Have you gone mad? :-)

Seriously, though: I'm sure it'll be a lot of work regardless of whatever method is chosen.

Is a "wiki" a possible/reasonable option? Or Google docs?

Perhaps the "base" rules (as they stand now) could be posted. This site (and others?) could publicize their location to slalomers, even the ones who don't use e-mail. You could see--I think--who added, deleted or edited things. If we really want widespread participation, perhaps this site could also encourage its readers to simply call or talk to other slalomers who don't check the site or their e-mail much.

If it's decided that this is worthwhile to pursue, I agree with Eric that we try to keep the discussion focused on common sense and practicality. I would urge that we emphasize and encourage civility and courtesy throughout the entire process. I am fond of a particular saying: "I will not yield to my compulsion to go on talking after I've made my point." I urge others who choose to get involved to consider such a guideline. (I will also try to observe it myself. :-))

Marcus Rietema

Post by Marcus Rietema » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:01 am

A rules committee should be organized that includes people who understand slalom racing and event promoters who understand what is needed to organize a successful event. This committee should then go over the current rulebook with a fine tooth comb and identify any changes or additions that may be required.

Once these changes or additions are identified, they should be put into a proper format for addition to the rule book. Simple changes can just be added without any problems. Any controversial changes or additions should be put forth to the membership for a vote. It should not be up to the rules committee or board members to make controversial decisions. Let the skaters do it themselves. Make it a simple internet vote with verifiable email addresses or only allow the paid ISSA members to vote. The latter might get some more people to join the ISSA.

If you want this to be ready for the 2008 season, somebody better get on this project right away. There isn't much time left in the year! I suggest setting deadlines to accomplish each task. Feel free to use any parts of the IGSA rulebook that may be helpful.
Marcus Rietema
President- International Gravity Sports Association
Phone: 951-532-6378
Email: rietema.m@gravity-sports.com

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:48 pm

Marcus Rietema wrote:... somebody better get on this project right away. There isn't much time left in the year! I suggest setting deadlines to accomplish each task.
I think Steve is already on the task. I think he's preparing a proposal based upon the earlier discussions.

/Jani

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Rules update

Post by Pat Chewning » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:29 pm

Steve and I are formulating the draft of the rules update right now.

Draft of the 2008 ISSA rules update will be posted here on or around 15 October.

There will be an opportunity for the members to identify controversial items, suggest changes.

There will be a mechanism to poll the users for particularly controversial items.

There will be a final vote to accept/reject the rules.

We will be finished before 2008