Utah Race in 2007?

Slalom Skateboarding in Utah and surrounding states

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Martin Drayton

Curt Chapman

Utah Race in 2007?

Post by Curt Chapman » Tue May 22, 2007 6:27 pm

OK everyone....

Do we want to have a race in Utah this year? I was out of town on business during last year's race, but I heard that it was a success, and quite an enjoyable experience...

What kind of interest is there this year, and can we do it without Martin here?

If we're going to do it, we need to get things going as far as dates and sponsors, etc...

Contact me, Scotty Murphy, or post replies to this thread and let's get it figured out....

Anyone from out of state who's interested in attending let us know also.

Troy Smart

Post by Troy Smart » Wed May 23, 2007 4:18 am

Yes.
Yes you do.

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Wed May 23, 2007 7:22 am

I'll try and be there.
As Luck would have it . . .

Curt Chapman

Tenatative date

Post by Curt Chapman » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:00 pm

OK, so we're tentatively planning on September 8th. (We'll see what the City Council has to say about it....)

Probably the same venue as last year...

Curt Chapman

Re: Tenatative date

Post by Curt Chapman » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:16 pm

I'm sorry to announce that the Showdown on Main Street has been cancelled for 2007.

We were excited about all of the interest from people outside of Utah, but we have absolutely no support locally. 2 or 3 guys cannot put on a good event for all of you that would be traveling to visit us. Seems without Martin around, there isn't much interest in dodging cones here in Utah....

Once again, sorry. Hopefully next year when Martin is back we can generate the interest locally and put on a great event again....

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:15 pm

Curt C Posted: 08 Jul 2007 07:16 Post subject: Re: Tenatative date

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry to announce that the Showdown on Main Street has been cancelled for 2007.

We were excited about all of the interest from people outside of Utah, but we have absolutely no support locally. 2 or 3 guys cannot put on a good event for all of you that would be traveling to visit us. Seems without Martin around, there isn't much interest in dodging cones here in Utah....

Once again, sorry. Hopefully next year when Martin is back we can generate the interest locally and put on a great event again....
I am truly sad to hear that. I know that getting help to do the running of the event is very hard ( I have did the Texas Sizzler for the last 4 years) I have run into the same problem.
As Luck would have it . . .

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:26 pm

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy wrote: I am truly sad to hear that. I know that getting help to do the running of the event is very hard ( I have did the Texas Sizzler for the last 4 years) I have run into the same problem.
Ya, since Martin had to leave, we haven't had much interest. Last year we would have 10-15 people at our weekly slalom sessions sometimes more. This year we have 2 or three people show up if we are lucky. Martin seems to have a knack for getting people excited about he sport that we don't have.

like I said, until next year....

Now I just gotta figure out how to get to some other races out of state now that we're not doing one here....

trish erickson

No time at the present

Post by trish erickson » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:40 pm

Not eveybody has lost interest. I havn't. Thursday nights are bad for me. Can't come. I am buying a house and selling the other. Bad nightmare that causes me to have to work extra hours. Speaking of working, I am now a Supervisor with an up and coming service with lots of opportunities, so I must work when I can.....They call it brown-nosing! LOL. And becasue I live in Heber, gas prices being what they are, it's hard to justify driving to ride a flat parking lot. So I havn't lost interest, just different priorites right now. I still ride every night that I am off. I have been pumping my local bike path. Not steep but a good work- out. For anybody interested, I am going to Colorado in August for sure. If you wanna share expenses, let me know. I was going to drive myself, always have room for couple of people.

I am sorry about the Main Street race. I wish I could help out some but it's not in the cards right now.

Trish
ts

Curt Chapman

Re: No time at the present

Post by Curt Chapman » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:51 pm

trish erickson wrote:And becasue I live in Heber, gas prices being what they are, it's hard to justify driving to ride a flat parking lot.
Trish - you know we're always up for suggestions on different locations and different days / nights.

Ya just need to let us know when and where......

Hopefully we can do a race next again next year, but it's not in the cards this year....

Bob Harper

No Showdown

Post by Bob Harper » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:45 pm

I am bummed to here the bad news. I would have been glad to help any way that I could. I have a bunch of old bowling trophies that I was going to convert to sk8 trophies and donate to the race, they'll be there next year. I've been down for a month and a half with this damned blood clot. I just got the go ahead from the Doc to start sk8in again last Friday, so I'm goin for it. The location that Kevin and I live at ,and the wonderful rate of gas keeps Kevin and I from coming every week. On the other hand we would do any thing that we could do to get the race going. I guess Kevin even had a couple of companies donating to the cause. I've been away from the computer for a while so I didn't even know about the meeting. It saddens me to see lack of support, I know slalom racing is not a requirement in life, but it so damn fun I figure any one into it would feel the same passion as I do. I really bummed me out not being able to sk8 due to health reasons but "I'M BACK FASTER THAN EVER". If there should be a change of mind for this years event I'll do anything with in my power to help. Curt And Scott my hats off to you guys for trying.
TRISH
It Looks Like Colorado Is On For Me So Save A Spot In The Car And I'll Let You Know With In The First Week Of August. Besides I Promised Wax A Sixer Of Raindeer Ale.
Hope To See Yall Soon I talked to Kevin Yesterday about comming down but we want to do it on a day when Trish is off and most of the crew can be there.
Chio Bob (Gramppy Wiggle)

trish erickson

race?

Post by trish erickson » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:21 am

Hey Bob,

I'm glad to hear your back! I will for sure keep a spot for you. So far, it's just me and you. Not sure it the Murphy's are going. I havn't been able to ride on Thursay nights so I havn't talked with anybody. I want to come up your way and wiggle a little. I need to do it soon! We are going to be a pair in Colorado! I havn't been on a board much do to my crazy life right now but you are absolutley right......It's to much fun to not ride! I got your phone message. Sorry I was at work. Doin' 36zzz so I can pay for my new house. I will get in touch and lets ride soon.

Trish
ts

Curt Chapman

Racing

Post by Curt Chapman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:05 am

If someone else wants to try and hold a race in Utah this year, go for it...

Scott and I didn't seem to be able to get anyone interested, but that doesn't mean that someone else couldn't.

I'd also like to continue to get together and dodge cones - whenever. If Thursday's aren't good, let everyone know when. Most Saturdays (all day, but I prefer mornings) and Sunday mornings work for me too.
Last edited by Curt Chapman on Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Harper

Post by Bob Harper » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:34 am

Hey Curt
Sunday or Saturday would work best for me also. I've talked to Kevin and he also wants to come down. I just started a new job that has me working swing shifts s week day evenings won't work for me. but I'm looking forward to getting together for a session.
So we'll be in touch soon.
Trish or any one else interested Kevin found some new hills in Logan, I haven't seen them yet but he says there real nice.
Later Bob