2008 Contest Calender - soon please

Scheduled Slalom Races

Moderators: Tom Mangelsdorf, Chris Barker, Steve Collins, Chris Eggers

Marcus Rietema

2008 Contest Calender - soon please

Post by Marcus Rietema » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:41 pm

Please add a 2008 Contest Calender heading to this forum. The time to be putting the 2008 season together is now!

There is a big race currently being organized in Bathurst, Australia for March 7-9, 2008 that will feature a GS and Hybrid along with an IGSA World Cup Downhill. There will be prize money, internationally famous bands and a whole festival atmosphere. They are even charging for admission! The event is being organized by the city government. An event like this should be getting ISSA Major or Main status. This race is going to be a big deal and skaters will need time to make travel plans!

We also need to work on the 2008 World Championships. I'm still hoping to hear from the organizers in Sweden so we can set a date that doesn't conflict with the IGSA downhill schedule.

We need to get our act together NOW!!!
Marcus Rietema
President- International Gravity Sports Association
Phone: 951-532-6378
Email: rietema.m@gravity-sports.com

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:54 pm

Marcus,

We'll do this next week as soon as the Board elections are over.

The first thing to do is ask Chris if he will continue his stewardship over the contest calendar. Depending on his decision will mean we can carry on as we did this year or if more volunteer assistance is in order.

Let me just say for the record that CBark did an oustanding job this year updating, categorizing and maintaining an accurate and up-to-date contest calendar. Although a few events were not listed, this was mostly a decision of race organizers. The system was put together quickly and on the fly and worked well.

Marcus Rietema

Post by Marcus Rietema » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:12 pm

Thanks for the response Wesley! I'll be looking forward to seeing that heading.

In the future, the upcoming years Contest Calender heading should be up by Aug 1st. We should have a good idea of when and where the big events will be for the upcoming season by October 30 or earlier. Organizers and skaters need time to approach sponsors. The skaters also need time to make their travel and vacation plans so they can attend the Major and Main events.
Marcus Rietema

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Status for races in 2008

Post by Pat Chewning » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:31 pm

Status can only be assigned once there is an application received.

I have received no applications for 2008 yet.....

So it is not just ISSA, but the race organizers who need to act now.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:12 pm

I don't want to step on CBark's toes if he wants to keep doing the calendar, but I discussed an idea with Jani at the Worlds after he couldn't find info on when/where the Antrim and Berlin, NH were. We talked about the idea of someone being responsible for a CENTRAL contest calendar where contests EVERYWHERE are listed - sanctioned or not, ISSA or not, outlaw or not, submitted by the organizers or not. This is to save having to look through the SF, NCDSA and ISSA calendars. Basically an individual (I'm happy to volunteer) would search the 'net for ANY contest and list whatever basic info is available - with links to where more info is available.

If this sounds doable and wouldn't just make for more confusion I'd be happy to help.

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Marcus Rietema

Re: Status for races in 2008

Post by Marcus Rietema » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:43 pm

Pat Chewning wrote:Status can only be assigned once there is an application received.

I have received no applications for 2008 yet.....

So it is not just ISSA, but the race organizers who need to act now.
EVERYONE including the ISSA and the organizers need to get on this! I also think that a contest shouldn't receive any sort of status until all of the proper permits are in place and the event is happening for sure... Both the ISSA and the IGSA have suffered from important events being canceled this year because the promoters had not secured all of the permits. Those are blunders that should never be repeated in the future!

I will contact the Australian organizers and ask them to submit an application for the Bathurst event.
Marcus Rietema

Cat Young
Bad Kitty
Bad Kitty

Post by Cat Young » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:08 am

I, for one, am tired of searching on Silverfish, NCDSA & ISSA for contests, results & general information.

I have high hopes for the 2008 season & hope we can all work together to have one place to go for information on slalom, downhill, etc........

I am impressed with the knowlege Marcus is bringing with him to the ISSA & hope he will be elected. I have seen the work he has done and can honestly say, Marcus leaves no stone unturned, so-to-speak.

Let's expedite the calendar for the 2008 season so we can all start making plans.

Viva 2008!!

Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy
Jean-Sébastien
Jean-Sébastien

Post by Jean-Sébastien Dennebouy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:03 am

The french downhill and slalom races's dates for 2008 will be decided the next week...

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:44 am

Funny enough,

I would NOT like to see a calendar of all types of events including downhill, rollerskating or whatever. I want to see an ISSA calendar just containing ISSA sanctioned events.

That should be the goal of ISSA. Then we could of course share that info with others if they would be interested in having some other sort of calendar but that should not be the goal for ISSA in my view.

Furthermore I don't think a forum is the best way to have a calendar. You want it to be more public. Like on www.slalomranking.com for example.

I think it is time to start doing a more public ISSA site. The forum is good for some things but we need something more public. With some articles aso. That was the idea with the World Ranking site slalomranking.com. To use the ranking as the backbone. Around that we could create calendars, articles, pics and other info we want public. A forum is not where you want to send family, friends, sponsors etc. We could create a general template for ISSA events where people can get simple info, register, pay and see final results in a unified way. The specific special homepages for an event could be linked to for those who want to build up even more hype.

It was my hope that slalomranking would give the spark needed. But I have not succeded in this and will not probably without help from a much broader base. And still I feel that this is what most people want. I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

Maybe we need some sort of economy to drive it. Let's get some sponsors in. Let us all pay yearly entry fees to ISSA. Let's pay a little for some people to do things. Maybe that could start rolling the wheels...

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:02 am

Corky,

I agree with you.

Who's going to do all the work?

Don't look to me. I know my limitations. I am not a web guy. It's not what I do. Furthermore, I'm not all that motivated to take a crash course in HTML/pHp/Blabbidy Blabbidy programing and design.

Not to mention incorporating online databases.

So, how is it going to get done?

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:18 am

It's not black magic... it just takes a lot of all of ours precious time and energy. :-)

Jadranko Radovanovic

Post by Jadranko Radovanovic » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:18 am

I agree what Corky says.

I can do the publishing (just static sites). Static sites for information, pictures and videos and the programmed Ranking in the background.

What is needed is someone who can give correct written English textes.

I'm every day connected to the internet and can spend an hour or more per day to do this.

J-Rad

Grégory Girard
Gregory
Gregory

Post by Grégory Girard » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:10 am

I am totally agree with Corky too ! I am motivated and if I can help to do something(translation-my wife is bilingual- or anything) , please let me know !

Toby Warg

Post by Toby Warg » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:05 pm

Jadranko Radovanovic wrote:I can do the publishing (just static sites). Static sites for information, pictures and videos and the programmed Ranking in the background.
I am sorry, but IMHO, static sites suck. It is not that hard to implement one of the free web systems, based on PHP and MySQL, or pick and choose parts needed for a simple, but effective website.

If you are going to do it, do it right from the start.

http://www.joomla.org/
http://e107.org

Jadranko Radovanovic

Post by Jadranko Radovanovic » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:43 pm

It depands of your viewing Toby.

With the free web systems you are not able to design you like.

It makes sense to have static sites where you have information which don't change much.
We need the dynamik part just there where you have a connection to a database.

My problem is, that i don't have the knowledge with php programming. But i did some sites with the dreamwaver like our www.pscontest.ch site.

If i can bring stephan to help us, perhaps we can use his framework programmed on php, which is able to handle more languages and give the oportunithy to make diffrent users which can change a part of the content. There is an whole Racemanager for hosting races programmed as well in the framework which gives the posibilities to upload the data live to the website whithout doing anything, just running the race.

For Rules, information, Contest Calender, videos, pictures, storys and interviews there is no need to have it dynamic if you have someone who has the time to publish it. It isn't a media site where the information changes every minute.

If there is someone which can programm it and has a beter way to handle it, than i will step back...

J-Rad

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:55 pm

I think we should definitely aim for more dynamic stuff, so that we keep the design different from the information as much as we can.

But, whether you have one or the other the most important is the person to maintain it!
If you volunteer to work, that is great.

And, if we can have Stefan on the ISSA payroll for a while he can develop, and implement more dynamic stuff.

I have already offline suggested (to JRad and Corky primarily) that any new work done on ISSA related stuff be integrated on the current SS database and use the same hosting provider, even if we have different domain names for new sites. Like that we can easily share database information. For example we have a plan to move the hosting of SlalomRanking.com to the same provider and database, but Corky and I lack the programming skills (of LAMP server environment) to actually do it. We gave it a try, but we need a skilled LAMP developer to do it. It's not much work probably, but you need the experience in what is what and which parameters to change.

/Jani

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:34 am

www.slalomranking.com is a php based site with a mySQL database.

There is a system set up for adding "posts" that I use.

There has been no development on the programming side since years back. I have tried to use the possibilities already there as well as possible. And it does work. The system Daniel and me was setting up at the time works. But there are many things more that could be done on the programming side which I can't do right now since the site is still hosted on Daniels server.

Once moved to SS.com any php volunters can have a go at the code. With ISSA supervision of course. ;-)

I have found a person willing to make the move of slalomranking to the SS server. I just wanted to wait until the season was over and things were slowing down a little.

Marcus Rietema

Post by Marcus Rietema » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:16 am

Wesley Tucker wrote:Marcus, We'll do this next week as soon as the Board elections are over.
Is the 2008 Contest Calender heading going to be added soon?
Marcus Rietema

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:37 am

Done