Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

A Simple Proposed Course Rule

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:19 pm

This isn't ground breaking or Earth-shattering, but it does make things simple:

Rule: Always offset the FIRST cone.

Why?

If the first cone is offset there is never any doubt what side to enter the course. No more big chalky arrows or someone in practice stopping everything and yelling, "what side do you go in on?"

Even if the course setter wants to start the course with a straight stinger of five or six cones a slight offset of the first cone by 1 or 2 inches will clearly mark the entrance to the course.

At one time the ISSA had a rule a course is always entered on the RIGHT. That standard, though, has really faded quickly. A slight nudge to the first cone, though, will always show where to go.

AND

If some doofus looks at the course from the start ramp and the first cone is offset but STILL asks what side to enter then it's perfectly correct to pummel the buffoon with large solid objects.

And one last thing.

Before someone asks, "well, what about a STRAIGHT SPECIAL SLALOM?" Well, the answer would be if it's a straight line of cones from start to finish then it doesn't matter which side to enter!

So simple.

Kevin Dunne

Post by Kevin Dunne » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:22 pm

What if the first cone is intended as a "gimmie" cone? Sorry...had to ask!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:26 pm

Kevin Dunne wrote:What if the first cone is intended as a "gimmie" cone? Sorry...had to ask!
Then you REMOVE the cone and offset the next one!

Next? :-)

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:42 pm

I cant believe anyone even bothered to reply. In fact I cant believe I did.

utterley pointless..

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Re: A Simple Proposed Course Rule

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:02 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:
Before someone asks, "well, what about a STRAIGHT SPECIAL SLALOM?" Well, the answer would be if it's a straight line of cones from start to finish then it doesn't matter which side to enter!

So simple.
The reason for that Wesley is that if the competitor blows out some the last few cones, in theory, in the confusion a cone judge can see which side the rider exits and so tell whether with all the flying cones that they were 'legal'. I think Richie got DQ'd that way at Morro one year.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:07 pm

So why not mark it with some cones like this?

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Post by Steve Collins » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:29 am

chalk arrow

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:28 am

I think we have bigger fish to fry - never felt this was a problem...chalk arrow is good for 99.9% of us...but Civ may need flashing LED arrows! ;-)
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:19 pm

I think offsetting the 1st cone is good course-setting practice.

I think a chalk arrow is a good aid for the racers.

I don't think either of these rise in importance enough to go into the rules.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Robert shows the correct procedure.

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:07 am

This is the way to do it. Cone off the wrong side. But leave enough room for a board to pass on the wrong side....just barely.. in case some racer decides to criddle the first cone.

Anyone remember Don O'Shei's courses?

and mind you... for the end it is also not a bad idea so racers are sure to pass the timing tape on the correct side. The timing tape should also always go far enough to the far inside edge of the final cone.... in case anyone needs to criddle the last cone- and again... enough room should be allowed to criddle the last cone.

If you do this and the racer passes on the wrong side without hitting the last cone... he will likely splatter the other cones... an immediate indication of a DQ that can be spotted by an announcer or judge at the top. If the last cone is not displaced or knocked over in this instance... there is no doubt it is a off course DQ.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:39 am

John - I get your first cone method, and the criddle idea for both start cone and finish cone, but not sure I'm clear on the timing tape stuff..."pass the timing tape on the correct side" ?????

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Timing tape

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:20 am

Sometimes promoters put the timing tape to one side of the cone. But if you criddle the last cone (say you are falling off the line from over pumping...struggling to catch your opponent)
you could end up with no time..IE you might run over the timing wire but not the pressure tape.... it has happened to me...

You must accept that the course is defined by the cone circle and not the space to the side of the cone.
john gilmour

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:48 am

Turning and pumping around the last cone while going over a tapeswitch is an accident waiting to happen. It's just plain stupid...

Taking great care to build a course around manhole covers, cracks, and bumps to make it safe and fast and then putting the tapeswitch on the last cone is something I could never understand...
Last edited by Miguel Marco on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm

I also don't understand it.. I have always wanted to see a narrow chute of cones after the last cone to the tape switch. (I've been argueing for it for a long time) This lets racers get is a cool looking position for the photo finish... also I don't think a tape switch should be underneath you while turning.....

It also clearly defines where the finish is from a long distance away.

BUT for the people who INSIST on putting it at the last cone (and there have been big races where this has been done) .. at least they could optimize it so you always get a time even if you criddle the last cone. The other advantage to doing it the way I outlined is if the racer finishes on the wrong side of the course it will not record his time (unless he purposely hits the last cone). For instance he enters the last set of straight cones from the wrong side...

I think the timing strip should always be away from the last cone... like 2 meters away at least some of the finish photos look pretty cool that way.
the narrow cone chute....well it does two things....

racers can't pump such a tight chute so they automatically tuck- which of course looks fast....

Also a narrowing chute that gets smaller towards the finish makes it very unlikely that some idiot will walk up that chute and trip a timing sensor by accident - or worse still get hit by a racer. A narrowing chute tends to lead people away from walking up through/down through the timing.

I've walked through timing lights myself more than once...

I can also understand that some race venues are so constricted for space that a chute might not work.. but I think when possible we should use them and if it is to be at the last cone at least have the tape go under that cone so it marks the course correctly.
john gilmour

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Wake surfing

Post by Andy Bittner » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:10 am

I'm only replying to agree with Michael Stride.