Sun Praire WI. Race

Slalom Skateboarding in the Midwest U.S.A.

Moderators: Christopher Bara, Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

RL

Sun Praire WI. Race

Post by RL » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:25 am

Ok so im signed up..
My buddy and old skate/ surf partner is coming back from Seattle for the race..
So now Im gonna need some tuning on the set ups.. Im in the market for a pair of Spilts for my TS board. Gonna move the RTX/S set up to the PPS duane peters deck.
I know it Nov. but im stoked and i'll need to catch up w/ you freak bros. for some 07 pratice sessions.

Ric
Last edited by RL on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:40 pm

Ric,

We'll get you out this coming year...

Sun Praire was a great time...

Tom Manglesdorf treated us like celebs.... Plus, helping and watching the noobie kids
was the highlight of my year...The whole Mad City area is just a slalom accident waiting to happen.....

Dave Larson

Post by Dave Larson » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:17 pm

Yep good time.I'm there and will bring a couple others as well. D
not so only,lonely,slalom sk8ter

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:13 pm

Thanks guys. Your support means a lot. Thanks for signing up on the ncdsa site. That'll help keep the ball rolling. I Really, really, really, really, really appreciate it.
Gravity is a terrible thing to waste.

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:59 am

Lavin clan's in...

SL
Last edited by Stephen Lavin on Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
LAVIN

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:54 am

CHIxILL will do whatever you want and need.cfav
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Steve Pederson
Steve
Steve

Post by Steve Pederson » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:47 am

:-)
Last edited by Steve Pederson on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marty Agather

Inbred Minnesotans

Post by Marty Agather » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:39 pm

Not sure exactly who Steve and Dave are refering to, but I'm probably the third they are both referencing. I hope that made more sense to you all than it did to me, because I don't know what the hell I just wrote.

So let me try again.

I'm signed up on NCDSA, so yes I will be there. Will there be more from the North Star state? Maybe, but we'll have to get our stories straight before we talk to the cops.

Later, Francois.

Steve Pederson
Steve
Steve

Re: Inbred Minnesotans

Post by Steve Pederson » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:41 am

:-)
Last edited by Steve Pederson on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:27 pm

I updated the "description" on the ncdsa sign-up site.

This is the schedule breakdown -

Saturday morning 9:00 - 10:00 Clinic, 10:00-1:00 Tight Slalom
Saturday afternoon 3:00 Downhill
Sunday Morning 10:00 - 1:00 Giant Slalom

We're going to race A&B classes for TS and GS

And I just added some other misc info.

See ya there!

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:17 pm

killer race.really just some serious racing.everyone ther wanted to win,but no major egos,arguments,nothing,just a lot of laying it down.someone has to post the picture of eleanor,the worlds oldest skate betty.tight was saturday,downhill on a semiclosed road saturday afternoon.sunday was g/s on the same hill we ran the downhill the day before.neighbors were watchin,smack was talkin,but all in a super friendly vibe.
a lot of new faces were out ,loved the madison and milwaukee crews,it was good to meet all of you.I'll let tom post the results,but these are my own awards.
best style,Donuts on his longboard sliding thru cones,droppin knees.the madison riders rip and he appears to be their manson family leader.
best beef,to my bud cnova,El Scorpion struck again.
Best looking,Elyse,you rip,donuts you're a lucky man
Biggest Heart,Larson,way to bring it every run.
Best cook,Doreen mangelsdorf took that hands down
Best Fam,tom,even tho madison gave you a run for the money,the Mangelsdorf clan rules.i cant thank youor daughters enough for all the help the provided to all the racers.
High score,i'lll tell you again,I bowled a 190 saturday night.thats right, a 190.bring it oles!
best looking spouse,Oles you win there.
Road warrior,Harms,next week will make the third time in three weeks i have raced with you, and 4th out of the last five weeks.good times.
Hard charger,Ben F,you wanted it in the g/s,it was cool to see.
Fresh face,Marty,nice to finally meet you in person,to any one i may have forgot,it was a weekend full of good vibes,thanks for sharing.
cfav
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:38 pm

I too would like to thank Mangels, Doreen and their beautiful daughters for making this race a weekend well lived for this old hack.

There were some new faces indeed!!!
Nick, my skateboards have found there true owner..... :-)
Donuts and Elyse, it was great to see some fast new styles out there!! all of you are the coolest! hope to see you racing again soon.

Dave Larson, 57 yrs. old and freakin fast!! ...your cigar smokin humor and
derisive wit and insites are just plain funny...... and oddly inspirational.
Marty.... sadly, you fit right in with Dave... Hahaha
It was great to meet you also!

Lastly, working with the young kids at Saturdays clinic is really the most fun for me.
I feel it is an honor to help them out as they try something new in front of a crowd of strangers,
and it's our job to be sure they have some successes during the day
so they can reap that general feeling of self confidence that works wonders in all lives, young or old...

Peace to all, Tod

andrew larson

Slalom young and old

Post by andrew larson » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:54 pm

At work couple of pics. Love Larson

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:18 pm

I will echo everything Tod and Cfav said. Tom and Doreen were terrific hosts, and the racers were a mix of old and new. Among the new: Marty Agather and Burt Beavers, who did well for themselves in their first "modern-era" races :-); Dan from Washington, who showed up with his Axe and turned some heads for sure; Katie Mangelsdorf, who took a couple of beefs but kept on riding hard; Elyse (Elise?), Donuts and the rest of the crew from Madison, Nick from Milwaukee, Bilzo and crew from Brookfield; and probably a few I forgot.

The vibe was probably the most welcoming I've ever seen. Tod is a great coach for the newbies, and several other racers lent their boards to whoever wanted to ride them. The racing itself was fun, the weather was hot but decent, the hospitality was fantastic--and things even ran pretty much according to schedule. When has that ever happened at a skateboarding event? Congrats to Tom for pulling it off, and thanks to everyone who played a part.

My camera only worked occasionally, but I managed to get a few shots. I'll try to put a few photos online later today.

Marty Agather

Newbie Observations on Race Day

Post by Marty Agather » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:41 pm

Hostesses with the Mostesses:

A very big thank you to Doreen M. Great food and even better hospitality. It was with maximum graciousness that you opened your home and heart to a bunch of obsessed out-of-towners. That you did it coming off of your own vacation with little prep is beyond the call of duty. If you ever get to the “wrong” side of the St Croix river, I’d love the opportunity to return the favors.

Amie and Katie: Thank you for your assists, large and small. Your willingness to take any task large or small was appreciated, and made for a smooth weekend.

Lessons Learned:

Just like they told you in Math 101, it’s all about geometry. Tod, Thanks for the pointers on truck setup & design, I should have got it on tape. Like drinking from a fire hose. But you’ve given me some things to think about and aspire to. I’ll be back for the slow learners class the next time we get together.

Talk to the hand and arm. Pumping is a full body exercise. I’m not sure how to describe Keith’s lightning quick, limited motion, pumps, but if you’ve seen them, you know what I mean. One of the spectators along our GS route Sunday commented “Now his style is different isn’t it?” Yes, and it sure works. Played with the arm swing thing Sunday AM before we left for the GS course, and even tho I don’t quite have the mechanics & timing figured out, I could feel the concept. Now all it takes is practice, practice, practice.

Old folks boogie. Some of you cynics will think I’m talking smack about Pops Larson, but seeing as how I’m about 10 years younger and quite a bit slower, I say to him “Great race; hard work and good karma pay off.” I’m actually referring to the seniors who live in the residential area where we skated the T/S on Saturday. They were an attentive, appreciative audience.

More than could be said for one nasty female (no lady there) that read CFav the riot act. In the “There IS a God” department, she-witch calls the cops, only to find out that TM had dotted the Is and crossed the Ts, and was told “They’ve got permits; you are in the wrong.” Then he got his laser gun to give us some speed checks at the bottom of the GS course!

Lessons (Re) Learned:

Pavement barks, but sometimes the bite is worse. NovaStar, I’m glad you are OK and thankful that your close encounter of the asphalt kind was somewhat low speed. For the uninitiated: letting your pushing foot get too close to your rear wheel is a bad, BAD thing. Trust me on this one.

The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. The pure joy on the faces of Bryce and Hayden (second and third in the junior division, probably 8 years old each) was priceless. Thanks to all who helped the next generation of skaters. One day we’ll all be on the sidelines, it is up to each of us to make sure that slalom racing still burns in the hearts of men (and women).

Congratulations to Taylor Davis from Suds City on taking the TS in B. You stuck it when it counted. In the famous words of the Governator, “I’ll be Back”.

Lessons (Not) Learned:

Weight, weight, don’t tell me! Intellectually, even weight distribution and firm foundation makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, I manage to prove over and over again that knowing isn’t doing. Virtually every DQ I had (and there were plenty) was the result of either a) poor weight/foot placement leading (leaning?) to disastrous consequences, or b) realizing mid race that I needed to correct; as to results, see above.

Comrades in Arms:

Madison Skate Crew: You Rock! It was great to have you, your unfettered joy in skating was a thing to behold, and takes me back to my origins.

JrFavs: It was great to meet you, keep up the good work. One of these days we'll be chasing you guys.

Washington Dan: Sorry we didn’t get a chance to spend much time getting to know each other. Thanks for bringing some Northwest spice to the heartland.

Brew City Young Guns: Wow! The talent pool is deep. I hope you guys liked it enough to try slalom again. Come on back!

Senors Chill: Thanks for the schwag, but most importantly, timing and technical assistance. You guys made the race. You worked hard, we benefited. Since I’ve got 20+ in Chitown, watch over your shoulder, no telling when I might show up.

Burt and Family: It was great to meet some fellow MiKneeSohTans, let’s get together and skate the permafrost together.

Tres Hombres Professional: Thanks for the assistance, advice and encouragement. It was great to meet you after the past year of getting to know you via posts and reputations. I look forward to our next meeting.

Pops: I’m ready for the Vans screwed to the deck now.

Last but most definitely not least: Tom “Third Rail” Manglesdorf: Thanks for the hospitality and friendship. I can just imagine the amount of work it took to organize the War. You’ve earned a well deserved round of applause, and a day off. The event was fun and I had a great time. Well Done!

Respectfully Submitted,

Francois
Skate 'em if you got 'em.

burt beavers

Wiggle = Slalom

Post by burt beavers » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:47 pm

Thanks to all for a great introduction to a sport I had only read about. I could tell from the first e-mail response I received from Tom that this was going to be a unique set of individuals - in a good way that is:)

I look forward to getting to know more of you through future events.

Jodi (my fiance), Kevin, Collin and myself had a great day - next year we will make it for the entire weekend - and Kevin has committed to riding the new CHIxILL board as a competitor.

I am sure I will be in good hands with Marty and Dave in the neighborhood.

Thanks Again-
Burt

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:45 am

Thanks to all of you for coming! No point in having a race if nobody comes! These races are truely the highlight of my life. The skating is so much fun, but even more than that - it's the people ... of course you know I mean all of YOU.

** GROUP HUG **

I got an e-mail from the Colonial Club today - they want to do it again next year. So mark the 3rd weekend in June 2008 on your calendars!

I posted the 1,2,3 finishes for each event over on the ncdsa site. I still need to do the official business with ISSA so that y'all get your points.

I wish I was able to make it to Chicago this weekend - but I've been out of town or otherwise occupied the last 5 weekends in a row and there are things I need to take care of around home this coming weekend. I'm sure you all will have a great time in Chi-Town. The Freak Bros know how to throw a party thinly disguised as a race.

Oh yeah - I have 80+ pictures on my myspace page, but for some reason it's not letting people in ... even though I have it marked as "Everyone". Hang in there, i'll get it fixed up.

myspace.com/madtownmangels

Dave Larson

Post by Dave Larson » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:21 am

Thanks Tom and Doreen for everything.This has turned in to something really cool .I raced Keith Hollien and Jonathan Harms what a trip,I was happy as a little kid.Tod you are a inspiration to me and the other little kids you helped .Chris and Chris you cats made this happen again. Feel like I have known you for allot longer that I have.Shout to Nate and Ben.Go-nuts you rock Nick too.Don't know how long I can keep this up."Elenore ,Elenore wait for me baby" Later Dave

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:30 am

Photos online at http://community.webshots.com/user/harmsjb . Here's one of the better ones:

Dave Larson, GS

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:29 pm

^^^^ And look at the two young-n-pretties checkin out his cute butt. ;-)

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:37 pm

Excellent pic Dave!! Sorry I missed you guys, I heard about all the fun - would much rather live it.

LAVIN
LAVIN

RL

Post by RL » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:04 am

Wow.. looking at the photogs. is great. Im really bummed to have missed out.
Back injury thats been getting worse for years has me down ..
I would not wish L4 L5 disk problems on anyone...
Im glad my buddy Dano from Washington came and had a blast.

Maybe next year for me...

andrew larson

Post by andrew larson » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:03 pm

89A front and back.Must have been heat stroke.Mentioned to Keith my time was going up he said" maybe those rears are a little hard must be sliding some"Yep. Changed to Avalons 85. Better time .Never to old to learn. Good luck Oles

daniel miszewski

super good time

Post by daniel miszewski » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:55 am

sorry late to post(what being on the west coast and all, he ha ho)

man! you guyz rule. Dave, love ya man! at your age thanks for beating me!

Tom, Todd, Keith and John(hey, sounds like a rock band)good show mates.....as for everybody.

Sorry i missed the golly green giant slalom. wooda been fun...

you bugga's can count me in next year...

happy fourth of july, if ya can't sleep, don't count the sheep. count the cones fer cry-eye!!!

:):):):):)

Dave Larson

Post by Dave Larson » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:26 pm

Dan , really fun racing you,win or lose.Nice to race with someone who isn't 6 feet tall,and at my age I'm shrinking. Next time Later Dave

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:33 pm

Hey, Dan, glad you were able to make it to the race. You showed up with that Axe and turned a few heads for sure. Keep it up!

burt beavers

Slalom Finals - One of the runs between JBH and Todd O

Post by burt beavers » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:24 am

Here is a link to a video of one of the finals run.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5934868735

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:02 pm

Dan-O : Thanks for coming! You were really rippin it up!

Burt : Thanks for posting that video. I really hope you can make it back next year. Maybe you can get your son to join us

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

2008 Sun Prairie is PRIME status

Post by Pat Chewning » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:34 am

ISSA sanction PRIME status to 2008 Sun Prairie Wiggle War