Hybrid slalom tips please?

Discussion Forum
Spike Taylor

Hybrid slalom tips please?

Post by Spike Taylor » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:41 pm

Thinking of entering a hybrid race, but don't know the real differences between that and tight slalom.
Any thoughts on the differences?
Will I be Ok on a slalom rig, if not, what should I be looking for?
What do i need to do technique wise?

Cheers,

Spike.
FUN-is the bottom line!

Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel

Post by Pierre Gravel » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:31 pm

There are many interpretations of an hybrid course, but in general, cones are spaced between 5.5 and 8 feet and includes many offsets. Wheelbases from 18.5 to 20 are ok generally.
I say, go to a race, enter, observe and learn.
Ride more, post less.

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:25 pm

Spike, here is a link to one of Wes's threads:

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... php?t=1149

This may help you get a "visual" on some differences between the TS, GS, Hybrid course descriptions. I think Wes has a better place than the link above for all the collection images but I cannot find it. Yeah, as Pierre said "...enter, observe, and learn."

I'm not the best skater to give advice but I typically use the same deck but with varying wheelbase; longer for Hybrid shorter for TS, and maybe a bit wider truck up front for Hybrid than TS.
LAVIN

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:50 pm

The best way to describe Hybrid Slalom is:

"A course where you have no clue what to expect!"

Tight slalom is pretty self-explanatory: cones are close and you gotta get your wiggle on.
Giant slalom is the same: cones are far apart on a big hill and be sure to check your package when you cross the finish line.

Hybrid is just about everything in between. Sometimes you'll go to a course with an advertised hybrid course and think to yourself, "g'damn, that thing it tight!" Other times you'll come screaming down the hill and conclude, "if that's these mo' fo's idea of 'hybrid,' God help us on their GS course!"

My advice when traveling to a Hybrid event is simple: take the board on which you feel the most comfortable, most pumpable and most maneuverable. Keep it simple with some good wheels and carry a wrench to adjust the bushings a little. If you got room in the car or on the plane take a couple of boards with variable wheelbases.

The most important thing to do, though, is simple: skate and skate a lot. Practice all kinds of cones AND DON'T TRY AND THINK TOO MUCH!

Conversation never won a slalom race.

Spike Taylor

Post by Spike Taylor » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:15 pm

Well, thanks for the tips guys and the great advice. I DID follow that link...and sadly read it all (not enough dosh for the Pub tonight!)
John Gilmour wrote:I think it is great to argue about rules on the internet so you have more time to spend racing at races.

I think those pre printed courses will start something. There should be link to this thread from the Newbie area.
Yeah put it in the newbies area, but take out all the arguing bollox! You'll only put us off. It was old, so I hope you've all made up now.

Spike.
FUN-is the bottom line!