My Son

Discussion Forum
Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:04 am

My son Jack stopped breathing today. His nurse had to use CPR to revive him.

He is scheduled to have surgery tomorrow to hopefully correct a stomach reflux problem.

I am afaid that he will not make it through the surgery.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and prayers.

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:25 am

I am thinking of you and your son!

Good luck!

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

Post by Rene Carrasco » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:04 am

Jack-
........our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! Godspeed! Bro. !

.....................-Rene' Carrasco.

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:08 pm

Jack,my prayers are with you and your family.
We're all pullin' for you!
Brian

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:01 pm

Jack,

I am sorry to hear this, I know your family is twisted, there is nothing I can say that will reduce the pain that you guys are feeling.

I just got done saying a prayer for him, just right now.

What ever it is that the future may bring, I only hope that you find peace and understanding in how fragile life is.

Best regards to you and yours,

adam trahan

Maria Carrasco
SK8KINGS - ISSA Vice President
SK8KINGS - ISSA Vice President

Post by Maria Carrasco » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:47 pm

Jack -- Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Life is so beautiful -- and sometimes so hard -- all at the same time. I hope it helps to know you have so many who are pulling for you.
--Maria & Richy

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:00 pm

Jack, your family will be in our prayers.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:08 pm

We'll be praying for you Jack.

Henry Hester
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"

Post by Henry Hester » Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:36 pm

My thoughts are with you Jack.

Neil Gendzwill

Post by Neil Gendzwill » Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:43 pm

Jack, how's your son doing? There's a lot of goodwill out here for him and you.

Neil

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:06 pm

Hi Neil,

Thanks for asking. And thanks to everyone for all their prayers and thoughts. Jack is home from the hospital following surgery. There have been some complications, but at this time no further surgery is planned.

The doctors have told us that Jack will probably not be with us much longer.

I invite you all to visit the Lowe Syndrome website at http://www.lowesyndrome.org

There will be a major announcement regarding fundraising for Lowe Syndrome on both this site and NCDSA later today.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:55 am

This is not slalom related, however I consider all of you to be part of an extended family. My son Jack was placed in a Hospice Hospital yesterday in Denver, Colorado. He will not be coming home. This has been very difficult for everyone involved. Thank you everyone for your thoughts, prayers and support.

Neil Gendzwill

Post by Neil Gendzwill » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:01 pm

Jack, I'm so very sorry to hear that. I'm thinking of you and your family.

Neil

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Tue May 06, 2003 12:10 pm

Hello to everyone in the slalom family,

My son Jack passed away Tuesday morning at 1:45am. I know that he is now free of his suffering and is in a better place. Please say a prayer for him or just keep him in your thoughts. Let your loved ones know how much you love them.

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Tue May 06, 2003 12:25 pm

Jack and family,

I am very sorry to hear that. I did not know your son, but I got to know you and I am sure he was an equally good personality. My thoughts are with him and you and your family.

Regards,

Chris Eggers

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue May 06, 2003 1:12 pm

Dear Jack,

I'm so sorry to recieve these sad news. My thoughts are with you.

I would also take this opportunity and thank you for all you're doing for the sport despite the difficult times you've been going through. Thank you, and keep it going!

/Jani

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Tue May 06, 2003 2:41 pm

Jack, Sorry to hear this news. My prayers are with you and your family. May peace be with you always.

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Tue May 06, 2003 3:13 pm

Jack and Family,

I'm very sorry to hear. God be with you all..

Brian

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Tue May 06, 2003 5:50 pm

Nothing I can say or do will ease your pain, nothing.

I offer you my condolences.

adam

David Eye

Post by David Eye » Tue May 06, 2003 6:01 pm

Jack;

Very sorry to hear about Jack Jr., I cannot imagine what its like to lose a child.

May he be at peace, and all of you take comfort in knowing his spirit soars into the realm of angels and unity with a loving God.

David
Fort Collins Colorado

"The darker the night, the brighter the stars that shine"

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue May 06, 2003 6:04 pm

I lost my mother when I was 15, but the thought of losing a child is beyond my comprehension.

I rode a Bahne Board for the hill climb at G3, I was hoping you'd catch that in a photo and laugh.

I know you and Jack's Mom and Maureen are grieving and I wish you the best- I also want you to know that your son will be watching you as you Skate across America again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Gilmour on 2003-05-06 12:05 ]</font>

Frederic Reveillard

Post by Frederic Reveillard » Tue May 06, 2003 6:48 pm

it's difficult to think about skateboarding after that...
i see my 3 daughters,and i think we must take care of our children.
i will pray for jack and your family this evening.
condoleances,
fred

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Fri May 09, 2003 4:29 pm

Hello Everyone,

Jack's memorial service will be held today at 5:00pm in Grand Junction, Colorado. Long time friends Gary Fluitt and Dan Gesmer will be in attendance.

Maurine and I have been over-whelmed by the support and love offered here and in emails. Thank you.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri May 09, 2003 5:35 pm

Jack,

I was quiet and had nothing to say earlier this week over events that overtook you and your family. Quite honestly (and I know you're not going to believe this,) I truly believe that sometimes if the right words aren't available, it's best to say nothing. Considering the devestation that must accompany what you have experiences, I just couldn't think of any words that mattered.

Glad to see you on the website today and I hope you are finding the strength to carry on through this time in your life. We all are finding hope in the way you have carried yourself and know there is nothing greater on this earth that a parents' love for their children. If nothing else, I think everyone can certainly relate to that inarguable truth in life.

I hope this finds you well.

Wesley Tucker.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Sat May 10, 2003 5:27 am

Hello,

We just returned from Jack's memorial service. It was very beautiful and moving. It is a comfort to know that Jack was surrounded by so many people who loved him here in Grand Junction. The support and love that we feel from the slalom family is also helping us get through this difficult time.
Having Gary Fluitt and Dan Gesmer attend the service meant so much to us.

I also want to share an email that we received from Farid, we also had the Pastor read this at Jack's service.

Love,
Jack and Maurine

Hi Jack,

I just got back from my "14 Cone Salute" for your son and family. It felt very special to me and I want to share it with you.

As you know, I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains and off the road we live on is another road called Weaver. It's about 2800 ft above sea level and it winds around the edge of the mountain. To the right you look down into a deep ravine (steeper than 45 degrees and goes down almost 2000
ft), look to the left, the side of the mountain goes up, just as steep. Looking south over the mountains I can see the Monterey Bay, to the north, San Francisco, Oakland, the south part of the SF Bay, most of the Bay Area, and the in land peninsula that would run parallel with I-280.
Out west was the mountains that go on forever and the hillside was all I could see eastward. The sky had heavy clouds that are spaced out like big wads of cotton candy with gaps of brilliant blue in between, leaving
shadow patterns all along the terrain. The air was fresh and crisp with a light wind and the scents of wild grasses and flowers. There were California Poppies blooming, green grass, some thistle with the bright purple flowers, and a sage like brush with tiny yellow flowers, all over it, surrounding me.

I laid out my fourteen cones, following the slight "S" curves of the road. I had the opportunity to look around, soak in the surroundings, and think of your son, you, and the rest of your family. It was a very pure moment of clarity and all my senses were very astute to what was
being transmitted to each and every one of them. I was taking in long deep breathes, which was relaxing me, but my heart was pounding. At 12 Noon exactly, I pushed off hard and rolled passed each cone looking right at each one as I passed. It was if they were talking to me. Even though it lasted about 10 seconds, it felt like I took a trip through
time. When I foot braked I realized, my eyes were full of tears. My emotions were mixed; sadness, happiness, pride, hope. I grabbed my board and turned around and looked up to all the cones I had just passed through, it was if they were glowing. I walked back up picking up each cone, as I passed, very gently, like a small child. I put all my gear in my car to roll down back to my house. I took one last look around, took a deep breath, and looked to the sky.
I, for those few moments skating on the mountain, felt absolute.

Jack Jr. lives forever in all our hearts and you have been a wonderful role model for your extended family. I wish the best for your family and I'll be there if you need anything. I hope that one of these days I can bring you to the spot where this special moment took place.

Farid

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Wed May 14, 2003 5:47 pm

We have been comforted by all the love and support all of you have shown regarding Jack's passing away...Thank you so much.

<a href="http://www.legacy.com/SanLuisObispo/Leg ... 41">Here's a link to Jack's obituary</a>

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed May 14, 2003 5:58 pm

Lowes syndrome web site link.

Thanks for the link to the newspaper and ultimately the Lowes syndrome web site.

Please let us know all the details of your skateboard accross America for Lowes Syndrome.

Again, my condolences Jack.