2009 World's?

Scheduled Slalom Races

Moderators: Tom Mangelsdorf, Chris Barker, Steve Collins, Chris Eggers

Marcus Rietema

2009 World's?

Post by Marcus Rietema » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:19 am

I'm just wondering if there are any updates on the selection of the 2009 ISSA World Championships venue? I heard that Bathurst, Australia had submitted a proposal to hold the event in Nov 09'. Lately everything seems to have gone quiet on that front. Hopefully this is still being seriously considered. The event is a huge step above anything I've seen in the slalom world so far and would go a long way toward giving slalom more international recognition and growth. It would also tie the IGSA Downhill World Championships and the ISSA Slalom World Championships together. That would have many positive benefits in my opinion. They have an excellent race hill with the finest pavement I have seen anywhere in the world. The organization is first rate with a big festival connected to the event. It would be a big mistake for the ISSA not to have the 09' World's in Bathurst, Australia.
Marcus Rietema
President- International Gravity Sports Association
Phone: 951-532-6378
Email: rietema.m@gravity-sports.com

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

2009 Worlds

Post by Pat Chewning » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:52 am

Gary Fluit is collecting applications for the 2009 Worlds. I think he was in contact with the Australian organizers to get their application. I helped Gareth Roe write up the application for the Gorge Games 2009 World Championship application.

I offered help to George Pappas who was considering putting a bid in for the Worlds in Durango Colorado, but he never called back.

I am not sure what progress Gary Fluit has made yet .. I hope he chimes in here.

Eddie Spearing

Post by Eddie Spearing » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:56 am

Yeah Marcus ! Hammers !!!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Toronto, Canada

Post by Claude Regnier » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:18 pm

Just to let you we are thinking about hosting the 2009 Wolrd Slalom Championships. I am presently busy building Canada';s largest indoor skateboard park and will have more time in the New Year.

We have a solid group here in Toronto to work with. More then enough financial backing to go along with the community support.

More to come. I am pretty sure August would be the month in which I would want to host this event at it would allow more time for people to make travel plans and hopefully entice more worldwide participation.

Talk soon.
Many Happy Pumps!

Art Pryde

2009 Worlds

Post by Art Pryde » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:46 am

With much due respect to Marcus (You deserve it) I think that the 2009 Worlds should be in the North American Continent. If worldwide economic conditions were much, much more favorable, it would be interesting to have the Worlds in another continent other than Europe or North America.

My impression is that travel costs from both Europe and North America to Australia would be much more than from Europe to North America for 2009, and in the past, maybe 10 racers would make the trip across the Atlantic either way. So, if the Worlds were in Australia, there would probably be few racers from Europe or US making the trip, and it wouldn't be a very representative example of a "World's" event.

Don't get me wrong, Australia is a GREAT place to visit!! I've been to the East Coast of Australia, New Zealand and Fiji before and I had a GREAT TIME!! Heck, I'm just hoping to enter a couple of races in 2009.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:33 pm

I wish there was a slalom-flight that could pic up people around the world so we can have big contests anywhere we like.
Anybody with connections in the aero-bussiness?
Half the price for contestant´s would be nice for the world´s.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:34 pm

Is Obama a former slalom-guy? Airforce-one with some stickers on maybe?

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:41 pm

Iceland is nice in July...good halfway point between EU and US...the economy is rocking too.

;-)
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:48 pm

Rick Floyd wrote:Iceland is nice in July...good halfway point between EU and US...the economy is rocking too.

;-)

PERFECT!!!

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Post by Steve Collins » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:34 pm

Paging Gary Fluitt, please post the 2009 Worlds candidates to date. Thanks.

Jim Weatherwax
WAX

Post by Jim Weatherwax » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:24 pm

Flights to Australia are $1500 from here. Pretty steep and it would keep many USA riders away. Does the IGSA board have anything to gain from adding the Worlds to its event in Australia? The IGSA is a for profit org. and it seems strange that our newest board member (who is a partner in IGSA) is so fired up on adding our sport to an event he is already standing to make gains from. Seems like a conflict in interest to me.

Marcus Rietema

Post by Marcus Rietema » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:33 pm

Jim Weatherwax wrote:Flights to Australia are $1500 from here. Pretty steep and it would keep many USA riders away. Does the IGSA board have anything to gain from adding the Worlds to its event in Australia? The IGSA is a for profit org. and it seems strange that our newest board member (who is a partner in IGSA) is so fired up on adding our sport to an event he is already standing to make gains from. Seems like a conflict in interest to me.
I don't believe that we would have any less riders from the USA going to Australia than we had in Sweden this year. My focus is not on the USA skaters. It is on skaters from everywhere (Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America and South America) in the world. I want to see our sport grow on a global level.

Neither I nor anyone else associated with the IGSA will gain anything monetarily by adding the Slalom World's to the Australia event. My motivation is that we would have an awesome race that would be a major upgrade to slalom skateboarding in terms of venue, media coverage, sponsors, prize money, spectators and competitor experience. It would also go a long way toward helping our sport grow on a global level.

At the request of many, I am volunteering my time to the ISSA to try and grow this sport and send it a new, positive direction. You will see me get "fired up" on a variety of topics over the next two years...
Marcus Rietema
President- International Gravity Sports Association
Phone: 951-532-6378
Email: rietema.m@gravity-sports.com

Jim Weatherwax
WAX

Post by Jim Weatherwax » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks for clarifying that. It would be great to see slalom grow worldwide.