Need help setting up a GS board

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Josh Howard

Need help setting up a GS board

Post by Josh Howard » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:51 am

I am new to slalom and need help setting my board up for a GS course. I got started at the Antrim Can/Am race mainly because i live on the hill. Over the weekend I had the privilege to ride George Pappas's board. He showed me how to pump and where to put my feet and i went from there. His board had GOG adjustable trucks front and back. I know im not getting any of those anytime soon so what i have are tracker RTX/RTS trucks and White, Blue, Red, and Orange KHIRO bushings. I also have several different risers and a Duane Peters pocket pistols board. I am wondering how to set it up so it performs similar to Georges board.

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 am

Start by positive wedging the front (RTX) and neg. wedging the rear (RTS)
Both fat ends of wedges facing the rear
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:59 pm

Hey, Josh, good to see you on here. I've got a photo of you riding the GS but haven't had time to post it yet. Hopefully later today or tonight.

If I remember correctly, you're a fairly skinny guy like me, so use your softest bushings on the front truck. If you have them, try white barrels on top and bottom. If that feels too squirrelly, use a white one on top (next to the kingpin nut) and an orange one on the bottom (closer to the baseplate).

On the back truck, try using red bushings on top and bottom, or if that feels too tight, try a red on the bottom and a blue on the top.

As for how to set them up: ride your front truck quite a bit looser than the back, and if you can, follow Dave's advice about the wedging--skinny ends of the wedges toward the front, fat ends toward the rear on both trucks. This will make your front truck turn quicker and your back truck turn slower, which is what you want--the front truck does most of the steering, and the back truck just kind of follows along. Use as much wedge as you can for the front truck--maybe 15 degrees or so if you can.

Note: You don't absolutely NEED wedging, but it sure does help. (If you don't have any wedges, send me a PM on here and I'll send you some--I have extras.)

There's more to write, but that should give you a start.

Welcome!

JBH

Josh Howard

Post by Josh Howard » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:53 pm

Thanks a lot for the help im getting to understand it a lot better now. I have been experimenting with different setups but none have allowed me to comfortably ride the circles left over from saturdays hybrid race. I will get it sooner or later though.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:21 pm

If you're just really starting out, that hybrid course will be difficult. It's pretty fast, and the cones come at you pretty quickly at the bottom. I like your attitude, though; that's the spirit!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:47 pm

Josh Howard wrote:I have been experimenting with different setups but none have allowed me to comfortably ride the circles left over from saturdays hybrid race.
That is so cool...true grass roots style! Make sure you are starting with the shorter (21" ?) wheelbase on that board in that course. If you want to "save" that course, maybe see if it is OK with the town (FIRST!) to use one lane of it and mark the centers of the circles with a small shot of black exterior paint, so you can re-set it any time. Do it (with the town's permission) ASAP before it rains and the circles are gone!

Right on Josh!

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:25 am

I was going to suggest what Rick said.. having the same course laid out, will help you in getting your set up correct. And you'll be able to work on technique, figuring out what you need to do differently to make the course!
And yes Rick...true Grass Roots at it's finest
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Bradley Witham

New Racer Seeking Board Wisdom

Post by Bradley Witham » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:44 am

This is What I want as a set up:
29" G&S retro pro slalom deck
Bennett 111mm trucks
Bennett Alligators 63mm 84a (yellows)
Does this sound like a good set up for racing?

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Re: New Racer Seeking Board Wisdom

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:13 pm

Bradley Witham wrote:This is What I want as a set up:
29" G&S retro pro slalom deck
Bennett 111mm trucks
Bennett Alligators 63mm 84a (yellows)
Does this sound like a good set up for racing?
A little dated, small board, wide trucks, not the fastest wheels Bradley. I don't have time this minute to go into a whole description of current SL rigs, but give Richy C. at Sk8Kings a call or email and I'm sure you will get ALL the help you'd ever need!

There will be skateboard racing at Woodward in PA this summer too if you are interested. Email me if you want more info on that.

www.sk8kings.com

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Dave Kirkpatrick

Re: Need help setting up a GS board

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:58 pm

Josh Howard wrote:I am new to slalom and need help setting my board up for a GS course. I got started at the Antrim Can/Am race mainly because i live on the hill. Over the weekend I had the privilege to ride George Pappas's board. He showed me how to pump and where to put my feet and i went from there. His board had GOG adjustable trucks front and back. I know im not getting any of those anytime soon so what i have are tracker RTX/RTS trucks and White, Blue, Red, and Orange KHIRO bushings. I also have several different risers and a Duane Peters pocket pistols board. I am wondering how to set it up so it performs similar to Georges board.
Josh I have bushings and wedges, give a ring - 3941 - or did I set you up since you posted?

You work your weekends, we have been skating a lot on Sat / Sunday - got a weeknight to burn for a regular thing? We should add a session midweek if we can swing it.
What could POSSIBLY go wrong??