Wanted: Masters 45 and over birthdates

slalomranking.com
Ranking, Rules and Discussion for International Slalom Skateboard Ranking

Moderator: Hans Koraeus

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 am

Mig, welcome to the year of the Ox bro. This is our year (I'm an Ox too)! I'm Feb '62 and also 47... I don't speak French though...

LAVIN
LAVIN

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:47 am

Stephen Lavin wrote:Mig, welcome to the year of the Ox bro. This is our year (I'm an Ox too)! I'm Feb '62 and also 47... I don't speak French though...

LAVIN
...it's not the year of the SPEED? Crap, this means my whole life has been a lie.
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia

Post by Robert Sydia » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:26 pm

Rick:

Let's make the Sizzler our B-Day party weekend!!!

What is a couple weeks!!!

R

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:41 pm

Robert Sydia wrote:Rick:

Let's make the Sizzler our B-Day party weekend!!!

What is a couple weeks!!!

R
Hell, at this point, what's a couple YEARS??!! It's on as in torONto bro!
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:37 am

Hello all you elders. Turn up the volume on your hearing aids. :-D

If you have any friends who want to join the Masters ranking for 2009 help them out by entering their birth years here.

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Masters at the Worlds.

Post by Martin Drayton » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:05 am

Hi there,
I don't know what your plans are regarding the Worlds, but it seems like the Masters is now an afterthought. From the comments on the NCDSA sign up, it seems that several others out there thought that there would be a seperate Masters category as there was at the US Nationals at the same venue the previous year.
The organisers are saying they will just award Masters Titles from the Am finishes. This means Masters will not be racing each other directly.
My 'gripe' is that it was clearly stated that there would be a Masters category in the Sanction document for the race! Personally, I booked my flights on that basis and have now been told that to race Masters, I have to race in the Ams-that makes no sense to me. Shouldn't the only criteria to race in the Masters be your age and shouldn't we race each other?
http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/ISSA/ ... -JUL18.pdf
The women are saying that they don't want 3 categories as they can't fill them, surely that means that there would be time for a Masters event?
I believe there are several other pros too who are ready to step into this category and leave the younger riders to duke it out in the Pro class, but I don't think they would feel right moving into the Ams just to do that.
I want to ask for a re-instatement of the Masters category with the last 8 racing dual as stated in the sanction document. Do any of the over 45's have any thoughts on it?

Martin.

ps.Just looked at all the names of the previous posters in this forum, how rad would it be to race together!

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Yeah

Post by Marty Schaub » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:06 pm

I would prefer racing a Masters Class at the Worlds. My thought is that if it was posted up as a class that we would get 12 - 14 racers comitted at least.

I have hesitated on the signup hoping that this change would happen.
La Costa Boy For Life

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Huh!

Post by Claude Regnier » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Yeah sure but you won't let me join?
Many Happy Pumps!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:22 am

My opionion on this is that if there is going to be a Masters category in the ISSA season points standings, it makes sense that any big race (MAIN / MAJOR) should have a Masters class for those racers to earn points in, as long as there are 8 or more Masters racers who want to compete.

I will be racing AM at Hood this year, but in three years when I turn 50, I hope to go to Masters and certainly would like to see the division grow in popularity over that time. :-)

-RF

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Re: Huh!

Post by Martin Drayton » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:51 am

Claude Regnier wrote:Yeah sure but you won't let me join?
Why not Claude? I thought age was the only criteria... I know of several other Pros that are ready to make the change.

MD

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:49 pm

Yeah, this over 45 skater would love to skate with "Pro Masters", I don't care where I place would be an honor just to skate with'em (assuming they'll have us :)).

LAVIN
LAVIN

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:21 pm

I turn 45 this summer....Barker is over 45.... you have Hollien out there...bunches of others...the masters bracket can be really competative...and more than just 12-16 skaters....

I cant wait....it's all about skating with people you like....i get schooled by guys younger and less busted up all the time in pro..but that's ok...i like the guys i skate with there.....and the masters division will be a friggin ball...

what other sport can have an entire competative bracket for men (and women) over 45?...

MAYBE softball....but that's not really a sport, now, is it....?

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Shuffleboard?

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:51 pm

Christopher Bara wrote:...what other sport can have an entire competative bracket for men (and women) over 45?...

Alpine Snowboard Racing!

I was 2007 USASA Legend (40-49) Men's Overall and Slalom Champ, Silver in GS...and you are SOOOOOO right Bara - it IS a friggin' BALL!!

There is even a USASA "Kahuna" division (50-59) and a "Methusela" division (60+)

In my USCA marathon kayak racing (6-26 miles full speed), after you graduate from OPEN class, you can race in Masters (50+), Seniors (60+), Veterans (70+) and Grand Veterans (70+). You should see how gnarly and in shape the Grand Veterans who do this are - about 8 of 'em at the last Nationals I went to - f-in coool!!

:-)

-RF

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:02 pm

Christopher Bara wrote:I turn 45 this summer....Barker is over 45.... you have Hollien out there...bunches of others...the masters bracket can be really competative...and more than just 12-16 skaters....

I cant wait....it's all about skating with people you like....i get schooled by guys younger and less busted up all the time in pro..but that's ok...i like the guys i skate with there.....and the masters division will be a friggin ball...

what other sport can have an entire competative bracket for men (and women) over 45?...

<a target="_blank" href="http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/Fun/T ... s.mp3">The Essence Of Softball</a>

Cat Young
Bad Kitty
Bad Kitty

Post by Cat Young » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:20 am

Cat Young
Bad Kitty
Bad Kitty

Post by Cat Young » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:26 am

Here's the coolest "Master" I know!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:40 pm

How many masters can say they were on a LIFE magazine cover?

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

Post by Paul Price » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:05 am

I saw there were some questions on the Masters (over 45) for the Worlds. I am Master by age - born 1963

Quite a few of the older pros are now Masters!

Here is my take on it, IMHO:

1. Masters was mentioned in the ISSA sanction for the Worlds so should be included.

2. Masters in other sports are Pro's who are just older (e.g. tennis, snowboarding, Tony Hawk in skateboarding).

3. It would be cool to have a separate Masters race, in the same Pro course.

4. Pros and Ams should be free to enter the Masters contest (more racing for everyone).

5. To save time the same qualifying times could be used on the Pro course from the Pro qualifying.

6. There is no reason why the Masters (over 45) cannot compete in the Pros if fast enough.

The under 45's should be good enough to beat us old guys by now!

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Masters

Post by Sam Gordon » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:25 pm

In cycling I now race as a 'Veteran' being over 40. I was a 'Master' from 30 until 40. A 'Senior' from 18 to 30. A strong concern is that without more filtering categories existing in skateboard racing, the 'Master' category could become regarded as a backdoor way towards sandbagging.

It seems that very capable skaters would wish to race against their similarly aged piers, and rightly so. But it should be an 'either'/ 'or' category. Either race in the 'Masters' or in the Pro/ Am divisions.

Some youngsters have raced in both Am and Junior divisions to great success. Being a midfield filler this little affects me, however many racers have griped that they're losing out because these juniors have swept the results board in both divisions. Should these guys be racing in the Ams? Or should they be reaping the rewards of the Juniors? Although capable of both, they are turning off many racers from the sport because of their impassible competitive 'wall.'

A similar situation occurred when ladies were given entry into an Am class race a few years back, having already claimed laurels in their own event. They may not have podiumed in the Ams per se, but did create upset to those that had qualifies in the top 16, only for these guys to be bumped down to 17 and 18th places. Fine if you are a local, but travel abroad to a race, have an 'on the spot' change of rules and suffer under these 'new' rules is pretty galling when one has shelled out quit a few quid in travel and accommodation to take part.

If many divisions are to be created, then run one course for all classes so that, should you need to see how well you might have done elsewhere, then a direct time comparison can be made.

Every category should be aspirational. Keeping folks in the sport at all ages is a good thing, the racing categories assist this. But if a racer can transcend the categories then these divisions become pointless.

Upshot is, choose a division and stick with it!

SamG 1966

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Re: Masters

Post by Martin Drayton » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:55 am

Sam Gordon wrote:If many divisions are to be created, then run one course for all classes so that, should you need to see how well you might have done elsewhere, then a direct time comparison can be made.

SamG 1966
I agree with Sam's post except the above paragraph. I firmly believe that racing Pro as opposed to Am should require more skill rather than just more speed and therefore Pros should have to skate on a more technical course. For Masters? No idea...

MD

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Juggling

Post by Sam Gordon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:41 am

I agree with Martin about the course difficulty. What point this does raise is this:

How should a course be different for a category that could contain not only the best in the world, but also also allow the participation of those that have turned to skating late in the game? The mixed experience coverage suggests an 'Open' category style of race, or Am/ Group B course.

In such a case the 'Masters' could be an extension of the 'Am' race and run at the same time, but the results should be grouped separately in order to avoid sandbagging. Comparisons with best Ams could still be made. The 'Masters' could then take part in the Pro competition (time/ skill and location allowing).

Sam

Pierre Samray

Post by Pierre Samray » Fri May 29, 2009 3:36 pm

I can't believe it, but watching the calendar I realize I'm 45 years old (may 64). Well I just have to trained again and compete in this new class.

T Whalen

Slalom Math

Post by T Whalen » Sat May 30, 2009 4:03 am

I didn't realize my slalom age (2009 – 1964) made me 45 before my October birthday this year.

Glad to still be rolling!

Terry

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Older

Post by Marty Schaub » Sat May 30, 2009 1:44 pm

While you young bucks are just turning 45, I got a membership "come on" packet in the mail yesterday from AARP.

Screw that, your as old as you act, right? I am going to ride my skateboard today, and crank some music up really loud in protest to my mailer. AND I listen to music loud because I want to not because I have to in order to hear it with my hearing aides!
La Costa Boy For Life

Fabian Bjornstjerna

Post by Fabian Bjornstjerna » Sat May 30, 2009 9:49 pm

may 22 1962
That adds up to 47 :-) Still hungry!

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Sat May 30, 2009 9:53 pm

One day before me!

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Sun May 31, 2009 5:22 am

Fabian! We have the exact same birthday! :D

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Re: Older

Post by Martin Drayton » Sun May 31, 2009 6:42 pm

Marty Schaub wrote:While you young bucks are just turning 45, I got a membership "come on" packet in the mail yesterday from AARP.

Screw that, your as old as you act, right? I am going to ride my skateboard today, and crank some music up really loud in protest to my mailer. AND I listen to music loud because I want to not because I have to in order to hear it with my hearing aides!
How old are you Marty? I don't want that stuff in the mail, I'm 50 next May and getting worried now! I just started working Summer Ops at Park City Mountain Resort and normally there are a few guys in their 30's when I work winters for the Snowboard School, but right now I'm double the age of everyone I work with....

MD

Fabian Bjornstjerna

Post by Fabian Bjornstjerna » Sun May 31, 2009 9:54 pm

Hahaha cheers Miguel!!! :-)
Nr 22 rules ;-)

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:59 am

Yeah! And 47 rocks! :D

Well... not that much when you try to get out of bed in the morning... :( Ha! Ha! ha!

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

OLD!

Post by Marty Schaub » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:58 am

Martin,

I'm 48 about to be 49 on July 5th. I didn't mention that I put it in the shredder, did I? It's rightful place IMHO.
La Costa Boy For Life

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:17 pm

Miguel Marco wrote:Yeah! And 47 rocks! :D

Well... not that much when you try to get out of bed in the morning... :( Ha! Ha! ha!
I'll bet Fabian didn't get frosting licked off his head by one of his friends at his party though! ;-)

Cat Young
Bad Kitty
Bad Kitty

Post by Cat Young » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:41 am

Is 2009 going to be added to the rankings?

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:00 pm

Cat Young wrote:Is 2009 going to be added to the rankings?
Corky is taking some time off from slalom skateboarding. He got bored with steady criticism. We still hope he'll be back at the end of the year to get all the 2009 results in. Some guys have already volunteered to help. Still probably need a volunteer or two from the US side to get the US results in order for the end of the year update. So if you're serious and have a sense of order, you can volunteer directly to Corky.

/Jani

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:13 pm

I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier... I hope he'll be back soon!

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:23 pm

i'm not sure if beginners are concerned here, however i was born nov 20th 1962

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:24 am

11/61 makes me old I guess
As Luck would have it . . .

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:04 am

09/09/1964. The year of the Dragon.

Roar.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:04 am

Ok, you elders.

I'm back to see if we can get all results together for 2009 and calculate 2009 World Rankings.

So check out if your ranking age is registered correctly here to have a chance to get points in the 2009 Masters Ranking.

Concerning Master ranking discussions above
Just to clarify how it works in the ranking system right now.

Master points are calculated automatically from results if no master class is run. Note though that it is the AM or OPEN class results that are used in this case. If running a PRO/AM event it is the AM result only that are used for this. Pro class is a very special class. It's a class of its own. Same goes for juniors and women entering the PRO class. These results will not translate into any other junior or women results.

Conclusion concerning Master class
- If running an OPEN event with only an OPEN class there is no problem with calculating the Master Class automatically.
- If running a PRO and AM Class the Master Class will be calculated automatically from the Am class. So in these events it is a good idea to run the Masters Class as a separate class. If wanting to run the Master Class as a head to head one could use the placements from the PRO and AM class to speed things up. PRO placements then always coming before AM placements.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:47 am

Hans Koraeus wrote:Just to clarify how it works in the ranking system right now.

Master points are calculated automatically from results if no master class is run. Note though that it is the AM or OPEN class results that are used in this case. If running a PRO/AM event it is the AM result only that are used for this. Pro class is a very special class. It's a class of its own. Same goes for juniors and women entering the PRO class. These results will not translate into any other junior or women results.

Conclusion concerning Master class
- If running an OPEN event with only an OPEN class there is no problem with calculating the Master Class automatically.
- If running a PRO and AM Class the Master Class will be calculated automatically from the Am class. So in these events it is a good idea to run the Masters Class as a separate class. If wanting to run the Master Class as a head to head one could use the placements from the PRO and AM class to speed things up. PRO placements then always coming before AM placements.
Corky, I'm confused. Can 45+year-old racers earn BOTH Masters points (and ranking) AND Am or Women's points (and ranking)? I think I'm reading it correctly in assuming they can. But am I reading it correctly? Example: Let's say there's a Colorado race that has separate Pro hybrid and Am hybrid classes. And let's say 45+ racer Gib Lewis gets 6th place in the Am race, and places higher than any other 45+ racer. Would he receive 6th-place Am points AND 1st-place Masters points, just by virtue of his age? Or would he only receive one OR the other, depending on which category he's listed in in the database?

Note: I'm not currently concerned about whether I have a Masters ranking or not, I'm just trying to make sure I understand how the system works.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:02 pm

Corky, I just asked a similar question as JBH, in the 2010 rankings thread...just answer here and I'll check back.

-RF

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:41 pm

Harms wrote:And let's say 45+ racer Gib Lewis gets 6th place in the Am race, and places higher than any other 45+ racer. Would he receive 6th-place Am points AND 1st-place Masters points, just by virtue of his age?
Yes this is correct. Assuming that no Master Class is run separatly.

Same idea for junior classes getting their points from the AM class if no junior class is run separatly.

And also Women classes will be calculated in th same way if no women classes are run separatly.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:45 am

I finally get it...it's a miracle! ;-)

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:19 am

Corky, thanks for the replies so far. Like Rick, I think I actually "get it" now.

One final question, just to make sure I do understand: So if sound like a racer who fits into more than one category (such as Masters and Amateur, as Rick does) doesn't have to worry that one division will "rob" his/her points from the other division--which is a good thing. If they qualify for both, they get both. If only one applies (such as when a separate Masters division is run AND they enter that division), then only that one is counted. Is that correct?

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:47 am

Jonathan Harms wrote:One final question, just to make sure I do understand: So if sound like a racer who fits into more than one category (such as Masters and Amateur, as Rick does) doesn't have to worry that one division will "rob" his/her points from the other division--which is a good thing. If they qualify for both, they get both. If only one applies (such as when a separate Masters division is run AND they enter that division), then only that one is counted. Is that correct?
Yes.

Something to think about is that...
- If there are multiple classes held and you fit into both you have to enter both the classes to get the class rank points. For example if you want both Master and Am points and both these classes are held separatly you have to enter them both. Same for Juniors wanting both Junior and Am points when there are junior classes held separatly.

That's what make the Open class so efficient. You get all classes in one. Once you start making separate classes the racers and organizers have to watch up.

Sj Kalliokoski

Post by Sj Kalliokoski » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:52 am

Just realized that i did not update my age in this thread. Not old yet, just lived long, born Dec 1953 :)

This is me on -78
-pokkis

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:52 am

Well Kalliokoski, welcome to the Masters Ranking. You will be in in there for the next update 1.3. Very soon.

Gints Gailitis
1964-2011 (RIP)
1964-2011 (RIP)

Post by Gints Gailitis » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Am I in the Master group?

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:26 pm

Any new Masters out there? (or are you above 40 and coming close to the Master class)
Report your year of birth here to have the ranking site updated.

Thanks!

/Jani