World rankings: Overall

slalomranking.com
Ranking, Rules and Discussion for International Slalom Skateboard Ranking

Moderator: Hans Koraeus

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:55 am

I'm doing all the French events with help from Guillaume StCriq and Jean-Sebastien Dennebouy.

/Jani

Update Dec 10, 2009:
--------------------------

ISOLA - Done by Guillaume
NANTE - Done by Guillaume
GRENOBLE - Done by Ricardo Damborenea
Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:42 pm

Jonathan Harms wrote:I have e-mailed Gareth Roe to ask for results from the 2009 World Championships and the 2009 Oregon State Games, both of which are listed as "-" (not yet submitted) on slalomranking.com. If/when I get them, I will either convert them to text or ask for help from Rick F. or Steve P., and will send them to you (Corky) as soon as possible.
I have sent those results already (months ago), but I will follow up by re-sending them to you.

(Oregon State Games and WC)

-- Pat Chewning

Derek Yerke

Post by Derek Yerke » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:21 pm

I didn't see any from the US listed on the results status page. Are Prime events going to be included? If so, should I send the results that I have? I have them put into the proper format. Thanks everyone.
The Yerke Brothers - Derek Yerke
Bees Knees Skathletics
Go Green Longboarding

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:58 pm

Hans Koraeus wrote:Hmm, if you guys want a world ranking placement as a Christmas present you better hurry up sending in results...

No use calculating anything until we have all Major and Main events registered.
I'll be converting the reults I have into text format as best I can this weekend. To say "hurry up" at this point, when the rankings haven't been done all year is asking a bit much. I think "be patient" might be a better mantra. Realistically, it just ain't gonna happen by Christmas.

I have some questions about classes though:

- It says the system will automatically place you in the correct class. However, I am listed as a "Master" because of my age, but did not compete in the Masters class once this year...how will that work?

- When I prepare the text formatted results, I think I should break out the classes for EACH race, since sometimes a racer competed in Masters (like Keith Hollien at the Worlds), and sometimes Pro (Hollien at Dixie). How does that work?

- If a race used A/B/C format. without a separate, pro division, will an AM class racer who finished 8th overall, but was the top finishing AM, get the same amount of points as they would have if they had won a separate AM division racing against only the other AMs?

I think you should only get masters points when you race in the masters division, but what division do you earn points in if you race in an A/B/C race, and have switched between masters and am or pro during the year, at different races?

This is why I think all MAJOR/MAIN races should use the divisions. I also feel a racer should declare at he start of the year what division they will race in. As a point of comparison, in USASA snowboarding, you pay a yearly dues ($75) before the season starts - there IS a deadline - and declare your division. during the year, you may move UP (from an age group to OPEN class for example) but not DOWN - and if you switch up, you forfeit your points from the lower div. you were racing in. Most people do NOT move within a year though, because points are used to determine who gets invited to the Nationals. ONLY the ONE top rider in each division in each regional series gets to go to the Nats unless there are declined invites - but we still get 1500 riders at the Nats, so it is a bit different from sk8ing because the participation is SO much higher.

I just want to make sure that what I submit will be correct and fairly place people where they should be. Any input will be appreciated greatly.

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Derek Yerke wrote:Are Prime events going to be included?
As many events as possible should be included. The more the better. No matter what the status was.

Make sure the event calendar is up to date in this forum (for all events 2009).
I will then add them to the calendar at www.SlalomRanking.com

Make sure you format the results in the format demanded.

Send the results to Corky.

/Jani

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:27 am

Hans Koraeus wrote:Hmm, if you guys want a world ranking placement as a Christmas present you better hurry up sending in results...

No use calculating anything until we have all Major and Main events registered.
Corky - it seems there is a belief among some race organizers that it is OK to just send you results in an excel spreadsheet. Several have said they have already done so.

I was under the impression that you need them formatted into text files. I am having trouble getting people to understand this.

Which is correct? I am eager to help, and will gladly take the time to do the re-formatting for you.

Can you tell me which USA events from the list below you still need formatted results for?

Texas Sizzler
US Nationals
Hood River Worlds
The Farm 9.0
Antrim Can/Am
Dixie Cup

Thanks - appreciate your efforts at a time when I know you are done with this and wanting it to be over.

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:21 pm

Rick and others,

If you format the results it'll save Corky some time, and he can get on with the rest.

Next year the Seismic spreadsheets may have an ISSA World Ranking export function and the process will be even quicker.

/Jani

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:39 pm

Jani Soderhall wrote:Rick and others,

If you format the results it'll save Corky some time, and he can get on with the rest.

Next year the Seismic spreadsheets may have an ISSA World Ranking export function and the process will be even quicker.

/Jani
Thank you Jani, I am in contact with Corky by email and we are working things out...we'll get it done.

Happy holidays to you!

-RF

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanks Rick for helping out! I recall you were one of the first to volunteer. Maybe you can take a bigger role next year? If you do, I'll do my part too. I just learned how to update the contest calendar and I can always edit the database directly should that be needed.

/Jani

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:01 pm

Rick wrote:- It says the system will automatically place you in the correct class. However, I am listed as a "Master" because of my age, but did not compete in the Masters class once this year...how will that work?
If there is no Master class run specifically the age 45+ racers from the Open/Am class will be filtered out to a Masters class result.
Rick wrote:- When I prepare the text formatted results, I think I should break out the classes for EACH race, since sometimes a racer competed in Masters (like Keith Hollien at the Worlds), and sometimes Pro (Hollien at Dixie). How does that work?
You should not break out anything. Just write down the classes as they were run.
If there was a masters class then you give me that result. If no master class was run don't break that out. It will be done by the ranking program automatically.

People can be in multiple classes. I think the most extreme case is an 11-year old girl running in an Open/Am class. If that is the only class run for that event the ranking will have results for her in the following classes... for example:
AM: Place 32
Am Women: Place 4
Jun 17: Place 7
Jun 17 Girl: Place 2
Jun 14: Place 3
Jun 14 Girl: Place 1
Jun 11: Place 2
Jun 11 Girl: Place 1

Rick wrote:- If a race used A/B/C format. without a separate, pro division, will an AM class racer who finished 8th overall, but was the top finishing AM, get the same amount of points as they would have if they had won a separate AM division racing against only the other AMs?
I don't understand what you mean by overall. Overall is points from several discipline races.

But yes, the first racer in the OPEN class that is not a PRO racer will be treated as Place 1 in the "virtual" am class. Second best non pro racer will have place 2. Aso.

For Pro racers in an OPEN class though this filtering does not occur. They get the pro point for the place that they have. I.e. if Am racers beat the Pro racers those Pro racers will get less (pro) points.

But... there is one more but. For an OPEN race to turn into a "PRO-OPEN" class (as it is called using ranking terminology when an OPEN class is turned into PRO/AM classes) there has to be 8 or more pros entering that class. Otherwise it will just be treated as an OPEN class. This is important for the Pros because pro points are higher than open points. I will stop here for now... ;-)

The rules are taking into account all that have come up during the past racing years. All situations have been thought through. The goal is to make it fair within reason. And as in all games, knowing the rules can give you tactic advantages. But if you don't care about rules the rule to use is: "Place yourself as good as you can in all diciplines that you enter". The ranking will handle the rest.

But for all of you who start to compete with your ranking point or your friends ranking points often start to want to understand the ranking machine. ;-) And for those cases, just ask me and I will explain.
Rick wrote:I think you should only get masters points when you race in the masters division, but what division do you earn points in if you race in an A/B/C race, and have switched between masters and am or pro during the year, at different races?

This is why I think all MAJOR/MAIN races should use the divisions. I also feel a racer should declare at he start of the year what division they will race in. As a point of comparison, in USASA snowboarding, you pay a yearly dues ($75) before the season starts - there IS a deadline - and declare your division. during the year, you may move UP (from an age group to OPEN class for example) but not DOWN - and if you switch up, you forfeit your points from the lower div. you were racing in. Most people do NOT move within a year though, because points are used to determine who gets invited to the Nationals. ONLY the ONE top rider in each division in each regional series gets to go to the Nats unless there are declined invites - but we still get 1500 riders at the Nats, so it is a bit different from sk8ing because the participation is SO much higher
Once you have a very big base of participants it may end up like this. I bet it did not start like this once in a time. Slalom is still a very small scene and how you handle the scene will change with time and growth. The ranking is made to handle the scene as it currently stands as best as it can.

Handling results in the future
The vision for handling results at www.slalomranking.com is as follows and will solve all problems with sending in results files.

1. All events wanting to be included in the world ranking have to be registered at www.slalomranking.com. I.e. the ranking calendar.

2. The ranking administrators will handle the status for all the events there.

3. With registration the event automatically gets a ranking event home page where racers can register themselves. And where organizer can share info about the event.

4. Before event starts the organizer can build up classes to be run and start lists for these.

5. Once the event is finished the organizer can regsiter the results for all the races at the ranking home page.

6. And by this the results are already in place in the ranking system with correct names for the racers and everything.

7. Then there is only the need for the ranking administrator to check the results and calculate all the ranking class points for the event.

8. And when ever needed the whole world ranking can be recalculated with the last event results registered.

The event ranking home page is the next step in the ranking system. I hope that we (ISSA) can create a project to make it happen. And if nessecary create a budget for getting it done. Time for the racers / ISSA members to step up to the plate and pay memberfees so that ISSA have something to work with. As Rick wrote "in USASA snowboarding, you pay a yearly dues ($75) before the season starts". You all understand why things does not advance as they should with ISSA. Members pay $0.

One could also imagine other income that could feed the ranking administraton.
- Events pay a fee to be included and have their ranking home page for the world ranking. The higher the status, the higher the price.
- Racers could pay a fee to get a racers home page and other special features on the ranking site.
- Racer sponsors could pay a fee for being able to build teams that could be used in special team rankings.
- Sponsorship on the site. It has from the start been a site free of publicity. But maybe it's time to make a change. If that can help the ranking move forward so why not. The idea was to have it free of publicity and make the slalom scene and racers behind it as the force. But this force is not as strong as I once thought so let's try another path forward.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:31 am

Wow - thanks for the detailed response Corky...my brain is now a pretzel! If you have pretzels in Sweden you understand, if you do not have pretzels, then look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretzel

I would like to see a required (not the optional $25 that allows you to vote) ISSA yearly membership dues to help pay for improvements in our sport. No pay, no ISSA racing.

I recently told a racer that wanted to see certain things happen in the sport to pay the $25 and vote, and their response was "that is too much money, I don't have it right now". That is a terrible attitude. If someone can afford to buy a slalom board, they can certainly find the additional $25...we ALL can. I realize we are small, but money will be one of the things needed for growth.

LAST QUESTIONS:

I am 47, so qualify for Masters, but did not enter the Masters class at any race that ran a separate masters class. I raced as an AM in all races that used the ISSA classes, but it sounds like the ranking system will make me a Master anyway - is that correct? I do not want to be ranked as a Master, only an AM....or, will I have a ranking for both classes automatically? Will PROs who are 45+ also have a masters class rank as well?

-RF

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:43 am

Many here in the US seem to feel that the rankings make the sport overly competitive - and I have been accused of being overly competitive by some folks - but after all, it is a RACE and we are competing. I don't understand why that is viewed as a bad thing. I spent a huge amount of money, time and effort, and used vacation time from work, to train and race in all 6 US main/major events this year, with the intention of seeing how I stack up against the rest of the world in the AM division. Some people seem to feel that takes the fun out of it, but I completely disagree - I had the time of my life doing it!

So thank you Corky and Jani for your help.

I obviously have some stake in wanting to help get this done. Some may say it is a conflict of interests for me to be doing any rankings reporting/calculations. I would urge fellow racers to carefully look over race results and ask for corrections if they feel a mistake has been made. I will do my best to make the results I submit accurate. In checking my own race results in last years rankings, I found I was listed as 10th place in the Dixie Cup AM GS, when I actually finished second. I reported this to Corky and he fixed it right away...so it DOES happen, but it is easily fixed.

-RF

Steve Pederson
Steve
Steve

Post by Steve Pederson » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:50 pm

:-)
Last edited by Steve Pederson on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Steve Pederson wrote:
Rick Floyd wrote:I have been accused of being overly competitive
It's only overly competitive when someone asks for bearing lube and they are given loctite. ha ha!

Rick, if you were overly competitive you wouldn't have been giving other racers (including myself) advice about going down the big ramps at Dixie. If you are overly competitive, then so am I. When I'm on the starting ramp, I'm serious and want to win. But the rest of the race day is a fun time. Rick, I've enjoyed racing with you this summer and thanks for helping with rankings.
I MEANT to give you loctite Steve...I just messed up. And as far as the big ramp advice, you just misunderstood me and my plan backfired. ;-)

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Advice!

Post by Claude Regnier » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:09 pm

All these years I was told skateboarders don't listen.

Giving it and seeing it used to it's top potential is where it's at. The rest is all about fun.....
Many Happy Pumps!

Steve Pederson
Steve
Steve

Re: Advice!

Post by Steve Pederson » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:10 pm

:-)
Last edited by Steve Pederson on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derek Yerke

Post by Derek Yerke » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:48 pm

Yeah Claude is the man. He gave my brother and I tons of valuable advice at our first race in Batavia.

Update to event list: The Epic International Skate Festival is missing from the list. It was held September 18th at Bethel Colege (Mishawaka), IN and is listed on the contest calender as Prime. The organizer was Peter Metzger. or does this just mean you already have the results? Thanks again.
The Yerke Brothers - Derek Yerke
Bees Knees Skathletics
Go Green Longboarding

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:32 am

Many thanks to Silvio Endrizzi and Ricardo Damborena for their work getting European results in! More and more events are having their - signs removed from the SlalomRanking.com event calendar. But there are still more to go. Please help! Just follow the instructions at Slalomranking.com - Rules - Events - Sending in Results and email the files to Corky.

/Jani

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:25 pm

I'm sorry about the Antrim results not being ready. I've been pulling 18 hour days for the past couple of weeks. If I can't do them tonight or tomorrow night I will send the spreadsheets to Rick.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:37 pm

Mig, take your time. There's no panic, now that we know you'll do it. It is great seeing the collective effort and I see there's a lot of motivation out there to get the job done.

/Jani

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:01 pm

Miguel Marco wrote:I'm sorry about the Antrim results not being ready. I've been pulling 18 hour days for the past couple of weeks. If I can't do them tonight or tomorrow night I will send the spreadsheets to Rick.
Mig - don't worry about it. I was able to grab the results off the skateboarder's journal site, in almost text-ready format no less! I plan to do them tonight and send to Corky. Get your beauty rest! :-)

-RF

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:04 pm

I have now formatted and sent results in the correct format to Corky for:

Texas Sizzler
US Nationals
Worlds
Farm 9.0

I will do Antrim tonight, and the Dixie Cup Friday night.

There HAS TO be a better way to do this - tedious doesn't even begin to describe what should bean easy process.

I have contacted the USASA snowboarding rankings/results administrator to get some input on how they handle it, because it is a simple process and visible online almost instantly.

-RF

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:22 pm

Dan (think Seismic) has already volunteered to build a routine into his spreadsheets to export data in the needed format. If that is done in time for next years season, it'll be faster for everyone to send in the results.

I've seen plenty of European results come by my email the last couple of days. Some guys like Silvio Endrizzi, Guillaume StCriq, Ricardo Damborenea and Jean-Sebastien Dennebouy are really working hard on this topic too. We should listen to them also to see what is needed to streamline the process for next year.

/Jani
Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Rick Floyd wrote:
Miguel Marco wrote:I'm sorry about the Antrim results not being ready. I've been pulling 18 hour days for the past couple of weeks. If I can't do them tonight or tomorrow night I will send the spreadsheets to Rick.
Mig - don't worry about it. I was able to grab the results off the skateboarder's journal site, in almost text-ready format no less! I plan to do them tonight and send to Corky. Get your beauty rest! :-)

-RF
Rick,

Wait before doing Antrim. All the equal 27s in the Tight need to be sorted out by who did DQed and who DNSed. From what I remember, they are not treated equally by the ranking system.

Everything else seems good (GS and Hybrid). Don't forget to do one single result list for the Dual Hybrid where 1st in B Group becomes 17th in Open, and so on...

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:06 pm

Jani Soderhall wrote:Dan (think Seismic) has already volunteered to build a routine into his spreadsheets to export data in the needed format. If that is done in time for next years season, it'll be faster for everyone to send in the results. /Jani
Dan told me he does not know how to program in Excel, and asked if I knew anybody who did. This method of us all communicating on the forums has to stop. The cross-communication, mis-understandings, conflicting info - just in the last weeks as I've been trying to prepare results is maddening and demoralizing. I can see why Corky bailed. We need a organized hierarchical process of getting things done and desseminating information - otherwise the chaos will continue. This is 2010 - to think we need to export data from Excel into text just to import it back into a database that is custom-made and not a universal system is just insanity. I'm all done with this after Friday...too many cooks in the kitchen.

-R

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:11 pm

Miguel Marco wrote:Wait before doing Antrim. All the equal 27s in the Tight need to be sorted out by who did DQed and who DNSed. From what I remember, they are not treated equally by the ranking system.

Everything else seems good (GS and Hybrid). Don't forget to do one single result list for the Dual Hybrid where 1st in B Group becomes 17th in Open, and so on...
OK Mig - will do. I'm wishing I had never volunteered to do this now. With the computing power available today it is crazy. It's like we are in 1995 or something.

I understand the OPEN results thing - done it for sizzler/farm already...but thanks for covering the bases.

Quebec outlaws all the way!

-RF

Antonio Saluena
Antonio S.
Antonio S.

ranking

Post by Antonio Saluena » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:15 pm

What i hope for next season is that organisers will use the latest version of Excelmate. It has a funktion that automatically imports results into ranking. Also the live part where you can see the results from a contest directly! I think it's possible to download it on this website.
I also offer to bring my Trackmate and a laptop to all contests I go to next year!

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:11 am

Antonio wrote:What i hope for next season is that organisers will use the latest version of Excelmate. It has a funktion that automatically imports results into ranking
There is no such thing, yet. But it could be done I guess. You could export data into hundreds of different rankings but it will not help unless you do it to the "ISSA World Ranking".

When racers themselves are not aware of what ranking we are talking about it gets me quite worried. We have still more things to do around all this... a lot more. :-|

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:23 am

Antonio - I am confused...what ranking are you talking about exporting to? Does this not work with your system Corky?

-Rick

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:25 am

<center>
http://www.slalomranking.com
Dec 31 - 2009

A new update of the ISSA world ranking is calculated.

Jan 31 the ranking 2009 is closed and archived for the history.
</center>

So if you see any faults or results missing in the ranking let me know before Jan 31. Are your birth year correct? If not you may be missing some good placements in junior or Masters ranking.

Things to check out...

- Ranking point check
Go to the Racer section. Get up your racer home page. There will be much more things in the future but right now you see two lists.

The top lists shows what results and points are counted into your ranking point.

The list below shows the two best results from every event you have had during the year wich is the base for ranking points.

One racer may be included in multiple rank classes. Use the dropdown on top of the page to see them all.

There will later also be a complete list with all results and much more.

At the bottom of the info box for each racer you see the placing in the different rankings and the difference since last year. + moving up and - for falling down.

- Rookie ranking
From now on the Rookie ranking will be calculated each month together with the normal rankings. It is found together with all the other ranking in the "Rankings" section. At the very bottom of all the rankings.

Here is a copy of the to do list I posted for the Dec 2008 ranking update. Unfortunatly it is still the same since not much have happened since then...
- Right now we are working some more on the calendar bit.
- Going through and update all the old articles and rules texts.
- Letting organizers taking charge of the event page for info, articles, pictures and so on.
- Picture administration
- Simple registration for events
- What ever you slalom freaks would like us to work on

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:07 am

Right on Corky - thank you!

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:34 am

I have not been very updated on the ongoing slalom scene this year and I see now on the 2009 Pro Ranking reults that many maybe have had a hard time getting a good overview of the ranking status situation.

It's very important for the ranking and for the racers themselves to have a good view of where the Main and Major status is placed in the Calendar. Because if you want to reach to the top you should not miss out on the high status events.

For the Pros it is even more important since they need 4 high status events to maximize the ranking point. Others need only 3 events. I saw that the 2009 Pro Ranking season had 3 Americans in the top. I thought that was strange so I looked into it a little.

There are a limited number of statuses for the different regions. And for the Pro racers it is important that those events get at least 8 Pro's attending to get Pro points. If not they will only get Open points and thus not maximizing their chances.

This year there were 2 events in North America and 1 event in Europe that had less than 8 pros attending in a Main Status event. Not good! This meant there were only 4 events on both side of the Atlantic you had to enter in 2009 to maximize your ranking point (as pro). And from the European racers there were none who made so in 2009. I looked on the racers down to place 30.

This is the main reason that we did not have any Europeans in the top in the 2009 Pro season ranking. But there were also other reasons...
- Many good riders that only enter a few big events never get the points that they deserve in the final ranking. And when they enter they take points from the other pros so that they can't get a maximized point result either.
- Also some US top Pro's raced in Europe and took some good results/points for themselves that of course punished some of the European Pros. No Euro Top Pros was in USA this year so this made the balance tip over in the US favor.
- There are also many more Pros competing in Europe wich means it is harder to get the Pro points for the Pro racers in Europe.

What I want to say with all this is that it is not enough to be a fast slalom racer to get a good World Ranking position. You need to be smart as well and know how the ranking system works and make the most of it. And you need to have the time and the money to do it. 4 events is needed per year for Pros. 3 events per year for others. This is not too much to ask for. If you can't make this even the best slalomer in the world may be beaten by a less skilled racer.

The ranking is not just showing skill. It is a mix of skill, what possibilities you have had to race in the season and how smart you have used these possibilities.

And not to forget... make sure you have all your results registered in the ranking database. That is also important if you want to beat your best racing friends in the ranking. ;-)

Check out your results in the ranking right away here.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:16 am

Corky and all those who pitched in,

Great work.

Also, for five years whenever someone complains about the World Ranking my first question is, "have you read the rules and how the ranking works?"

When the answer is "no" or something along the lines of "f#@k the rules, man," the conversation is over.

And for anyone who has questions about Hans's process and procedures for status points, the ranking or racer classification, go to the slalomranking page, click on the RULES link and start reading. It's all there and there's no mystery how the rankings are determined.

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:53 pm

The link is busted at slalomrankings for the rules page. I was checking on a mystery...
LAVIN

Maria Carrasco
SK8KINGS - ISSA Vice President
SK8KINGS - ISSA Vice President

Rankings update

Post by Maria Carrasco » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:43 pm

Thank you all so much for the time and attention you have devoted to this task ... it's no small undertaking and we appreciate it.

Cheers and Happy New Year from Sk8Kings!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:49 pm

Stephen Lavin wrote:The link is busted at slalomrankings for the rules page. I was checking on a mystery...
Steve,

Use the menu items across the top to go from topic to topic:

Introduction - Overview - Definitions - Events - Rankings - Calculations.

The initial page with a link to "Introduction" seems to be cranked but the direct link on the top works fine.

I'm assuming Corky is or was writing an update of some sort and it's temprarily glitched.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:19 pm

Lav - works for me...click on Rules, then any of the sub-menu items as Wes points out. Any luck?

A question maybe I can answer for you? I have become quite familiar with the system these past 4 weeks.

-RF

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:
Stephen Lavin wrote:The link is busted at slalomrankings for the rules page. I was checking on a mystery...
Steve,

Use the menu items across the top to go from topic to topic:

Introduction - Overview - Definitions - Events - Rankings - Calculations.

The initial page with a link to "Introduction" seems to be cranked but the direct link on the top works fine.

I'm assuming Corky is or was writing an update of some sort and it's temprarily glitched.
Got it TY Wes! I just hit the "broken" link once then gave up as is my nature...

Rick, was just looking for info on points regarding compilation, etc. Thanks guys.
LAVIN

Cat Young
Bad Kitty
Bad Kitty

Post by Cat Young » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:14 pm

Nice job!
I'm sure it's hard work trying to get the results in the first place, then to put it all down in a logical, readable way? Excellent.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:31 pm

Stephen Lavin wrote:Got it TY Wes! I just hit the "broken" link once then gave up as is my nature... .
I'll remember that after you hit your first cone. It means I can cruise to the finish line without concern.

Right?

Guillaume Saint-Criq

Post by Guillaume Saint-Criq » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:23 pm

thank you Corky and others for hard work.
I am glad to see a ranking for 2009

i see at least one big mistake in it :
i can't see no results for Women in European Champ (Policka)
Sandrine won 2 races in Grenoble (main), 2 races in Policka (major) and 2 races in Isola (french Champ, Prime) : I think she should be ranked higher like that.

i will take some time to look more in details and will list here if i see some more missing events

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:45 am

Seems like that has already been fixed in version 1.2. I will soon make a new update 1.3.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Last remaining results of 2009

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:19 pm

We still miss results for the following events. If you were at that event, help us get the full results in so that you can get your points!

- 5:th Anniversary of the DHB Jam #1
Statesville (USA, NC) 2009-Jan-24 Plain North America OPEN

- Road Rash Riot (R3) - Probably got cancelled
Huntsville (USA, AL) 2009-Feb-07 Plain North America OPEN

- The 1st Annual Chicago Cone Crusher
Batavia (USA, IL) 2009-Mar-21 Basic North America OPEN

- Gothenburg Slalom Cup (SWE)
2009-Apr-04 Basic Europe OPEN

- 3rd Annual April Fools Sk8 Jam
San Luis Obispo (USA, CA) 2009-Apr-05 Basic North America OPEN

- Beast of the East
Statesville (USA, NC) 2009-Apr-23 Basic North America OPEN

- Huntington Race Cancelled
(USA, WV) 2009-Jun-20 Basic North America OPEN

/Jani
Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:47 pm

I'm pretty sure I've got the Chicago Cone Crusher results, as we used my laptop for it. If I can find them, I'll send them. Thanks for the heads-up.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:35 pm

I used Facebook to let Jonny Miller (April Fools Jam) Marion Karr (the two DHB races) and Lenny Poage (the Huntington race) about the deadline and gave them Corky's e-mail.

Also, I posted over on SL.com about the Batavia results needing to be in and Gecko (I think that's Larry but I'm not certain) said they were forwarded today.

If someone can let the Gothenburg know then that should be that.

I think (but am not certain) the Huntsville Alabama race was sort of an outlaw that got busted. So there was no race so there are no results to report.

Ed note: OK Huntsville event deleted from the Contest Calendar, Corky informed. /Jani

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 pm

Lenny Poage reports the Huntingon race never happened.

So that's three down, three to go.

Ed note: OK event deleted from the Contest Calendar, Corky informed. /Jani

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:05 pm

Gothenburg´s diggin´ deep in the timerbox for the right papers. I´ll hope we will find it soon.