[2010] Two Days of Turri at Toyland - April 10-11 [Prime]

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Richy Carrasco
AXE Army
AXE Army

[2010] Two Days of Turri at Toyland - April 10-11 [Prime]

Post by Richy Carrasco » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:34 pm

Sanction app for Two Days of Turri - April 10 - 11, 2010

http://sk8kings.com/new/images/Events/T ... cation.pdf

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Having skated this road before (one side of it, anyway), I'm sure the racing will be bad-ass as usual. One question for you and Jonny: Any chance you'd consider basing it on the best TWO-run combined time? That would at least partly eliminate the headwind/tailwind factor.

I've been wanting to suggest this for big GS races for quite a while now. After reading your sanction application (and recalling my own experiences at Turri), I thought now was as good a time as any to mention it and see what you think.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:44 pm

I just realized the current rule book specifies that single-lane racing is decided by the best single time, so technically, deciding it on a two-run time isn't allowed. Not to open a whole can of worms here, but if the organizer(s) wanted to try the two-run format, I would vote in favor of allowing a variance for this race--if THAT's allowed, of course. :-)

Current Rule

4.1. SINGLE-LANE
Single-lane slalom races are run 1-racer at a time. Two runs are made by each racer. The final
placing of the racers is determined by taking the single best time from each racer.

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:48 am

10.2 Allowable Variations from Rules
Variations from these rules are allowable under the following conditions:
• For MAJOR and MAIN status competitions:
• Variations shall be stated clearly in the contest sanction application.
• Variations shall be declared in written communication to the racers on the day of the race.
• Variations shall be minor, few, and not significantly change the nature of the race.
• Examples of possible variations: Start ramp specification variation (larger, smaller, etc); Tone
count-down variation.
• For PRIME, BASIC, PLAIN status competitions:
• Variations shall be stated clearly in the contest sanction application.
• Variations shall be declared to the racers on the day of the race (e.g. in a Racer’s meeting or
announcement).
• Variations are allowed to alter the nature of the race.
• Examples of possible variations: Push-start vs. ramp start; A-B-C bracketing system to expand
the # of racers entering head-to-head rounds, taking 4 runs on a single-lane race instead of 2
runs.
• ISSA Regional Contest Coordinators will review contest sanction applications and may reduce the
contest status based on the number and magnitude of the declared variations from these rules.
Since the event is PRIME, there is lots of lattitude for variations, as long as they are spelled out in advance.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:36 pm

Jonathan Harms wrote:Having skated this road before (one side of it, anyway), I'm sure the racing will be bad-ass as usual. One question for you and Jonny: Any chance you'd consider basing it on the best TWO-run combined time? That would at least partly eliminate the headwind/tailwind factor.

I've been wanting to suggest this for big GS races for quite a while now. After reading your sanction application (and recalling my own experiences at Turri), I thought now was as good a time as any to mention it and see what you think.
As a snow racer, I've always though this would be a great idea of course. Changes the game quite a bit. You can have a GREAT first run, but you are still nowhere close to winning until you lay it down a second time...tougher challenge.

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)