[2010] Texas Sizzler, March 27-28

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Rick,

Jourdan has stated you need a notarized registration document. If you cannot make the meeting, you better get on in VT. As to the classes, I'm interested too.

Joe

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Looking for a ride for one (1) from the Austin airport Friday at 10:30-11AM and returning Monday at 1-1:30PM

Anyone coming or going at those times?

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Time in.....Time out!

Post by Marty Schaub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Joe,

I don't get in Friday until 2p. I will be back at the aeropuerto Monday at noon for my 1:30. Let me know if I'm closer than anyone else.
La Costa Boy For Life

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Sanction

Post by Marty Schaub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:10 pm

BTW....

Looking at the barren calendar for the year. Is this one a Major or a Main?
La Costa Boy For Life

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Channeling Gary Numan

Post by Marty Schaub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:29 pm

Cars...

I always like to score rental deals at races. Austin was the worst last year to find one. This year I see three options. Try Breezenet.com 1st. You can reserve and XL at anytime without using a CC. They have great rates right now, my midsize is 120.00 total, so grab one and have it in the bag.

2. At Breezenet you will see a link for Alamo Out Of The Blue specials. These are generally a week ahead but not always. This is where Alamo dumps cars so check it once a week and see what it offers. I got my car for Antrim 07 from Logan airport from there two days before the contest for 8 bucks a day.

3. Hotwire is a pay as you reserve site. But today they had full size cars for 125.00 & mids for 104.00 for Friday noon to Monday noon. Check it often and you might score. Always a good place to scour days before the race.

OH and if your having a hard time getting a cheap flight to Austin, try San Antonio. It's an hour drive door to door, I did it last year, and I saved about 150.00 on the fare. It basically made my car and hotel free. And BTW, cars are much cheaper out of San Antonio. See you on the hill!!!
La Costa Boy For Life

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Just curious...does anyone know why we need a notarized registration document? I've never seen this at any race in any sport in 48 years. Is it an insurance thing?

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

GARY GLASSER

Post by GARY GLASSER » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:43 am

I book cars through Costco. I had a connecting flight cancel on my way to Kentucky last year. I called Costco customer service 5 minutes before having to board rerouted flight and they immediately rebooked a car at the new airport. When I arrived at the airport, (small landing strip on a smaller hill) the car was waiting. I am a big fan of customer service as well as price.
I am the slowest COSS slalom racer..Lucky for you!

Joe Iacovelli

Re: Time in.....Time out!

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:46 am

Marty Schaub wrote:Joe,

I don't get in Friday until 2p. I will be back at the aeropuerto Monday at noon for my 1:30. Let me know if I'm closer than anyone else.
Thanks Marty, we rerouted Fatboy to San Antonio, where he'll hop in the Mystery Machine with me and Fred (my dad)

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Rick Floyd wrote:Just curious...does anyone know why we need a notarized registration document? I've never seen this at any race in any sport in 48 years. Is it an insurance thing?

-RF
Yeah better bring ID like a passport so you can prove you're the guy they notorized...

JK - but I would also like to know why this is required. Waiver understood it's the notory part that is confusing. No argument here, just seeking to understand.
LAVIN

Jourdan Adler

Post by Jourdan Adler » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Just wanted to reach out to all who follow this thread.

I have been dealt a bit of a bad hand as of late, terrible pun...I have been dealing with a major shake up regarding my day to day business life, which has caused a bit of a break in my communication, which I like to think is a strong point of mine.

I have spoke with Jonathan Harms, Keith Hollien, and the Austin Outlaws are in the loop as far as what I am dealing with off the hill, and all of those guys are up to speed as to where the event stands.

Regarding the waiver....it must be notarized, due to the slippery slope of producing this event, and protecting the rest of my assets. TTA Slalom has been created as the producing body of the Sizzler, this keeps the event separated from any other businesses and sponsors involved. The waiver is bulletproof, and it must be notarized in order to ensure that each person has legitimately completed and signed the waiver.

I noticed that several people are looking for rides to and from the airport. The DIRTY limo will be running all weekend and will be able to facilitate the numerous Friday pick-ups and Monday Drop offs.

I will try to answer questions as I see them.

Thanks for all of your patients, and I look forward to seeing all of you in Texas!!

Gracias,

J-O

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:15 pm

Thanks Jourdan, hope everything is OK.

Remember, there are a bunch of us willing to help.

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:45 pm

Joe Iacovelli wrote:Thanks Jourdan, hope everything is OK.

true add my name to the help bin... take care of yourself bro.
LAVIN

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:24 am

Stephen Lavin wrote:true add my name to the help bin...
I need help with the following:

• plane ticket
• motel room
• rental car
• food
• registration fee
• new shoes
• food
• post-race liquor
• pre-race beef jerky
• one of those doo-dads to keep my toe from moving
• some Blast Waves
• food (I really like food)
• maybe that Radical Brian is selling?

and some clear bushings.

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:33 am

Wes, I'll cover the booze..., NP brother. Maybe some Jerky too.
LAVIN

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:41 am

SLavin,

Give in to Wesley's demands and the terrorists win. It's just that simple.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:49 am

I KILL YOU!

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:02 am

LOL, that is effin' funny Joe! Even looks like Wes...
LAVIN

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Excuse me kind Sir. Do you know Wesley Tucker. Sir. Oh Well. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:57 pm

You know, if you clowns kept your eyes down the course as well I did in that pic y'all would hit a lots less cones!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Stephen Lavin wrote:LOL, that is effin' funny Joe! Even looks like Wes...
...why thank you Lav, that's my handiwork. I gave Iacovelli exclusive publishing rights. ;-)
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:04 pm

Joe Iacovelli wrote:Thanks Jourdan, hope everything is OK.

Thanks Jourdan - life is more important than skating...do your thing. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I arrive late Thursday night, so will be around all day friday, with vehicle, to assist.

-Rick

Jourdan Adler

Post by Jourdan Adler » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Competitors,

Really exciting news coming out of Austin, TX.

Looks like there is now a 90% chance that we will be granted our permit for the 1200-1400 blocks of San Jacinto Blvd in downtown Austin to conduct the Hybrid and Tight events!! That means you will all be able to “sleep in” on Sunday as the LaQuinta Hotel is located on the 1100 Block of San Jacinto Blvd. at the top of the course. The start ramps will give you a view of the UT Football stadium, and by the fourth or fifth cone you will be one block from the Texas State Capital Building. This has been a dream of Eddy’s, and I am so excited that we are one step closer to achieving it.

Regarding the waiver issue:

At the riders meeting on Friday, as well as prior to Saturday’s GS event, I will have a notary on site “FREE OF CHARGE”, to facilitate the waiver signings. I must apologize for this being such a lengthy waiver, but sometimes the “Bull gets you by the horns”. It takes a ton of coordination and risk to produce an event of this size, and it is of the utmost importance that those assuming that risk, and or making donations to make the event possible are covered to the best of their ability.

Regarding the ISSA membership issue:

I urge you all to hang tight on this issue. I can see things from both sides of the spectrum, and I will do my best to work with the ISSA to see if people who have made the $25 lifetime membership can apply that to the 2010 inaugural year of mandatory fees for racing. Hang tight on this one, and it will be addressed shortly.

Special attraction Downhill event:

Sign up and format for this event will be posted on the NCDSA next week. The rider field will be capped at 72. With a full rider field, there will be a $2000 prize purse split between the top three spots.

On a personal note:

I have been dealing with some very strenuous business/personal issues, and I know that it has had an effect on my level of communication not only with competitors, but also with sponsors and those donating their personal time to the success of the 2010 event. Please accept my sincere apology for the breakdown in communication. I should be through the brunt of it this week, and will be able to put one foot in front of the other over the next couple of days.

I hope all of this information finds you well.

Jourdan

Peter Klang
Klangster
Klangster

Post by Peter Klang » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Great to hear about the race, wish I could be there. However, I do have some thoughts on the membership issue. Any rider spends 1.000 of dollars in a year on slalom skateboard. Travel, entry fee, equipment, hotels, beer, etc so what’s another 25 dollars toward a great couse?

I say, if you can’t pay 25 bucks, maybe you should start collecting stamps, or cans.

Yours Fastest

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:00 pm

OK, Peter is on the BOD and he has opinion. I am also on the BOD and I have mine, they vary a little, but here you go;

I'm not sure that this is about $25. I think any issues may be about the principal of the thing and urge any racer with questions to take it up with the ISSA BOD. I suggest you not ask Jourdan. As you can read here, Jourdan has greater issues to deal with than ISSA membership fees.

The BOD of the ISSA has not released the entire benefit package, but we are making sure that if we ask a racer for $0.01, that we have a reason, a plan for the $ and some direct benefits that the racers and organizers understand.

I recently had an hour long phone call with just such a racer from TX, that didn't understand and didn't like it. After our phone call he was convinced, on board and willing to give it a try and $25 for 2010. I suggest you all feel free to contact me or any other BOD memeber, or give us another week to publish the entire package.

Again, please consider that we love racing as much as you do and are trying to change things in a positive way.

The 2010 ISSA Board Of Directors are:

Gary Fluitt
Dan Gesmer
Jonathan Harms
Joe Iacovelli
Peter Klang
Joe McLaren
Wesley Tucker

joe iacovelli - iaco@att.net

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:55 am

I also have some comments on the proposed ISSA member fee requirement. I have always just paid whatever member fee was required in all sports I have competed in, without thinking much about it. If I competed for a year and felt it was a rip-off, I would have either asked for it back, or not competed under that organization's system again...that has never happened. Even the $75 to USASA snowboarding seemed like a very small price to pay to have the privilege of organized racing, no matter what else was offered as part of that fee. Joe, you and the rest of the BOD certainly don't need to justify any ISSA member fee to me.

I encourage others to maybe think along these lines as well. I don't feel any currently elected ISSA member would ever squander my money...that's why I voted for 'em...and now you can too! :-)

-RF

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:00 am

Thanks Rick, thats a really good perspective for guys that don't participate in other sports, it costs more to play tennis, bowl, or ride MT bikes than what were asking for.

I think it is important to keep this an "open book" though and if anyone wants to get in touch, I welcome the imput.

Joe

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:11 am

Joe Iacovelli wrote:Thanks Rick, thats a really good perspective for guys that don't participate in other sports, it costs more to play tennis, bowl, or ride MT bikes than what were asking for.

I think it is important to keep this an "open book" though and if anyone wants to get in touch, I welcome the imput.

Joe
Yup, agreed...just wanted to add my two cents....okay, maybe it was five cents...crap, now I only have $24.95...will that do?

Maybe if you call it a "tax" instead? ;-)

-RF

Greg Stubbs

Post by Greg Stubbs » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Jourdan

I know I'm way up here in Dallas but if there is anything you need help with please let me know. I am wearing my boots today and am willing to kick ass for you, bro. Just let me know...

xxxooo,

Stubbsywubbsy

Greg Stubbs

Post by Greg Stubbs » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Also, I have no problem paying the $25 to the ISSA. I think that's nominal. Whatever it takes to make this work. Jourdan, you have obviously done more than your share and I want to restate that if there is anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to shout.

Pete Cardenas

2010 Sizzler

Post by Pete Cardenas » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:25 am

We have secure more schwag sponsors these year than previous ones. Our intent is for every racer to take something home with them. I still have some more to talk to

Just to mention a few;

Raine longboards
gravity Skateboards
Khiro
Sk8kings
Surf-Rodz trucks
Oust Bearings
Daddies Board shop
Revenge Trucks
Honey Skateboards
Sunday Skates
Tracker Trucks
Seismic Wheels
Texas Longboards
Longboard larry
Sector Nine

And the list goes on, rest assure all is taking care off. More to come tomorrow!!!

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:47 am

The ISSA is pleased to announce that Surf Rodz trucks will be sponsoring the Texas SIzzler with a very special prize. King of the Hill on Satruday will get a set of trucks worth in excess of $200. WHat's "King of the Hill"?

Simple, you need to race both GS and DH. You don't need to win either, just be the guy with the lowest combined number in the final standing of both races. Come in 10th in DH and 20th in GS and your number is 30. Nobody beats 30 and the trucks are yours

actual color may vary
http://web.me.com/surfrodz/Site_13/Surf ... rucks.html

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

HMM!

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:50 am

That's what I call racing to the bottom! :)

On another note I want to Thank the Texas Outlaws for inviting me to be the Hybrid course setter again this year.

Although I was not competing at this year’s event MB and I were certainly planning on attending and having a great time with all of you.

As it turns out we may not be able to even make the trip. This will not be confirmed till last minute as we want too as well as need it. So could you guys figure out an alternate just in case we do not make it.

I know there are plenty of capable people to choose from.

Thanks and talk to you soon.

Sincerely,

Claude
Many Happy Pumps!

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:24 am

I'll miss you CR. I was planning on beating you at this race (mostly since you were not racing)

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:27 pm

Pete, you can add Fatboy to the sponsor list

One deck is drying and the other is ready to go, they should get there next week.
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Pete Cardenas

Post by Pete Cardenas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:52 pm

Ron Barbagallo wrote:Pete, you can add Fatboy to the sponsor list

One deck is drying and the other is ready to go, they should get there next week.
THX for your support Ron, we will add you to the list of sponsors.

Jourdan Adler

Post by Jourdan Adler » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:15 pm

Competitors:

With honesty being the best policy, I wanted to be completely up front with you all regarding the current state of the Sizzler.

Yesterday we were dealt a bit of a bad hand by one of our sponsors. The deal we inked with our title sponsor got cut in half. Pyramid breweries delivered on their portion,, but the local distributor that was set to match the funds Pyramid allocated has rescinded their offer.

On top of the sponsorship issue we seem to be coming in about 25-30 competitors short of our projections for the actual ISSA Sizzler. Currently we are sitting at 47 registered competitors.

Regarding the Downhill segment, we are experiencing a very slow signup rate as well. Currently we have only 19 registered “downhillers”.

We currently have just a few “King of the Hill” racers that are registered for both the GS and Downhill segment.

The facts above have left me, the race organizer, in a very precarious position.

With the facts stated above, I am implementing the following changes:

There will be no change to the ISSA Sizzler entry fee. It will remain $90 USD

The entry fee for the downhill segment will be reduced to $50

The fee for “King of The Hill” Racers will be an additional $25 to the actual Sizzler registration.

Prize money due to current registration will have to be adjusted due to the lack of registrants. This will be on a percentage basis. We anticipated between 75-100 competitors and currently are sitting at 47.

Please understand that with the current amount of competitors the event is still operating at a loss. It is my hope that making the changes regarding the signup for the downhill segment will gain us some more competitors.

It is my hope that if we gain more competitors across the board, that we can increase the prize money amounts. My books will be turned over to the ISSA over the weekend, to ensure that I deliver on that promise.

In addition to the above changes, I would also like you all to know that today will be the final day to book your hotel reservations at the group rate. If you are on the fence about attending the Sizzler, please secure a room. You can always cancel, but please take advantage of the group rate.

Our thanks go out to all who have registered for the Sizzler so far, and those that we hope will register soon. We will deliver a successful event, and good times will be had by all.

Please follow this thread for more info, and please join our facebook event page “The 2010 Texas Sizzler”, so we can continue to gain interest, exposure and momentum for this years event.

Gracias,

J-O

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:47 pm

Thank you Jourdan. What I think is important is you being up front and out there before the fact, instead of shorting someone after. I appreciate you candor.

It remains an excellent deal. I'll be there.

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:54 pm

Guys, please re-post the sign up sheet link. I will register for the two DH events (I cannot recall if I did either yet just the slalom I think).

Also we need to get the contestant count up. Do you think sponsors would be willing to do an emailer (you know like their newsletter) or highlite their sponsorship of the race and do some mailings to their customer base on behalf of the event?

Also, it's not unusual to get a large % of last minute list attendees close to the race time but I think we may need to help the organizers pump this up a bit. Ideas??
LAVIN

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:01 pm

Oops! I'm a (current) no-show on the list. I will get on that ASAP. And I bet a few others who intend to race also haven't actually signed up yet. This "wait 'til the last minute to sign up" approach has long been a problem for race organizers, including yours truly. I should know better by now. Sorry for aiding & abetting, Jourdan.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:01 pm

Jourdan Adler

Post by Jourdan Adler » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:14 pm

Just wanted to tak a second and thank all of our sponsors for this year s Sizzler!!!

Looks like everyone will be going home with a little something....at least a hangover!!

Gracias!!

Cat Young
Bad Kitty
Bad Kitty

Post by Cat Young » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:11 pm

Thank you Texas Outlaws!

Trish gets in to the Austin airport at 12:30ish on Friday.
Can anyone give her a ride to our Motel?
Norski & I don't arrive until 3:40 pm..... we have a car.

Jourdan Adler

Post by Jourdan Adler » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Cat,

I will begin to put together an airport pick-up schedule soon.

Can't wait to see you!!

Cat Young
Bad Kitty
Bad Kitty

Post by Cat Young » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:40 pm

What a riot!
Thanks for making me laugh, Jourdan....... and peeing my pants!

I'll look for the airport schedule!

trish erickson

transportation

Post by trish erickson » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:01 am

I love you Cat! Always looking out for me. Thank You
ts

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:49 am

THE SIZZLER IS THE FIRST EVER WORLD CUP SLALOM RACE

What's that mean? It holds the highest status the ISSA can bestow.

details here http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... highlight=

and here
http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... highlight=

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:50 am

I am in about Noon. I'll take trish as long as she doesn't pee her pants like you Cat.... Utah, I got you. You have to come eat lunch with me, Iacovelli, Eddy, and a couple other undesirables though okay?

American Airlines 1199 CHICAGO OHARE FRI 26MAR 9:30 AM AUSTIN 12:20 PM
LAVIN

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Tough one!

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:49 pm

I am in about Noon. I'll take trish as long as she doesn't pee her pants like you Cat.... Utah, I got you. You have to come eat lunch with me, Iacovelli, Eddy, and a couple other undesirables though okay?
------and you don't want her to peeeeeeeeeeeeee her pants!

That will be a test alright!
Many Happy Pumps!

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:55 pm

Stephen Lavin wrote:I am in about Noon. I'll take trish as long as she doesn't pee her pants like you Cat.... Utah, I got you. You have to come eat lunch with me, Iacovelli, Eddy, and a couple other undesirables though okay?

Mr Iacovelli SR might protest to being called an undesireable

Me? I know I am so no offense taken
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:57 pm

Ron Barbagallo wrote:
Stephen Lavin wrote:I am in about Noon. I'll take trish as long as she doesn't pee her pants like you Cat.... Utah, I got you. You have to come eat lunch with me, Iacovelli, Eddy, and a couple other undesirables though okay?

Mr Iacovelli SR might protest to being called an undesireable

Me? I know I am so no offense taken
LOL - well said and of course I was only kidding - I think you are too about yourself Ron!
LAVIN