Intro from Boston

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

David Graves-Witherell

Intro from Boston

Post by David Graves-Witherell » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi all,
Just wanted to introduce myself and get started on the learning curve. I just turned 43 and got back into skateboarding 1 year ago after a 23 year break. I have been sneaking off to my local indoor park (when work and family allow) to learn how to ride transition. Never really had much opportunity for parks when I was growing up. I did live in Paris France for most of my youth and spent a lot of time at the Trocadero playing around with the cones (nothing serious).
I've been having a lot of fun skateboarding again this past year. Surfing the net I discovered the Bull Dog Skates web site and a bunch of great people with similar stories which eventually led me here. I now have a quiver of BDS boards for the park and am ready to add slalom to my fun mix after reading this forum and watching races on YouTube.
I'm ordering an AxeII complete from SK8KINGS and am now looking for people and places to slalom with in the greater Boston area.
Looks like there have been some festivities in the past and I'm hoping there will be some more this year so I can join in on the fun. I'm planing on the Farm in CT and the NH race but would love to get some other cone time in this spring and early summer.
I live in the western Boston subburbs and haven't really found a place to practice or anyone who slaloms (just popsicle street stuff, not my scene). Any ideas?

David

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:43 pm

Welcome, Joe in CT here. When the snow stops flying, please come down and we'll tune your board and put you on the right path. There are some skaters in the Boston area, North Shore, and near weekly practices in Antrim NH, so you'll have plenty of opportunity.

Joe

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:14 pm

When Gilmour lived in Boston he had a good spot at the Arboretum. There's also a good sidewalk/hill we skated in the middle of the night in the Commons.

There is a soap box derby track in one of the suburbs north of downtown. I forget the exact town it's located.

Keep your eye on this forum. As it warms up a lot of the NE guys start putting together practice sessions.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:43 pm

David - I'm in Brrrrlingtin, VT, but race/train all over NE and Quebec in the summer. PM me your contact info and I'll hit you back. The soapbox track WT mentions is at the Fells right off 93 - lotsa dogs but a good spot. Try to connect with Glenn Chapman too. I'll make sure you get hooked into the Antrim scene.

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:33 pm

David, I live in Beverly about 30mins north of Boston. I skate during my lunch break 2-3 times aweek during the season. I also try and get out once a weekend. I have one spot up here that is fairly reliable. I will try and contact you when I make the switch back to skating from snowboarding.
Glenn

David Graves-Witherell

Post by David Graves-Witherell » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I look forward to meeting you all later this Spring. Best of luck in Texas.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:15 pm

I you ever take a turn to Sweden.....give the FAT BASTARDS a call and it´s SLALOMTIME!!!

Curt DeBartalo

Post by Curt DeBartalo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:47 am

Fells....Im in Boston...good weather should be here soon.

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:30 am

Hi David, Dave from Antrim.

We do get out and set slalom courses most Sundays up here, and would always be happy to have another skater. We're over an hour and a half away (I used to commute!), but it's usually a nice easy ride once you're outside of 128.

If you want to PM me your email address I'll put you on my list, update you on sk8 dates, location, weather issues in my neighborhood.

Keep checking in here at ISSA too, we've been talking about an outlaw series this year, there may be several new races in New England this year.
What could POSSIBLY go wrong??

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:09 pm

Dave Kirkpatrick wrote:...we've been talking about an outlaw series this year, there may be several new races in New England this year.
Count on it! ;-)

-R
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:12 pm

Rick Floyd wrote:
Dave Kirkpatrick wrote:...we've been talking about an outlaw series this year, there may be several new races in New England this year.
Count on it! ;-)

-R
I looked at the event schedule here, not much is up yet. Any insight on dates to aim for or avoid is appreciated.

Perhaps we should have a Summit, maybe on the heels of a Sunday Skate? If we could get you, me, Eric, Curt, Karl, Dan to compare notes... There's a new longboard shop in Amherst/Nashua that might appreciate a PR event too. I figure Joe has The Farm pretty well locked in, but he might like to consult as well. If we can get a meeting of the minds together I'm more than happy to host (Ave A? Backyard?) cook some tasty animals and vegetables, or travel as the case may be.

We should start fairly soon, at least throw a few ideas out for consideration. I suck at long range planning, but always looking to improve myself!

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Hey Dave,

Why don't you start a new topic. We can have the Farm and Antrim as part of the series and track points for them along with all the outlaws. If there are points involved, you can count on Rick Floyd being there :-)

Joe

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:20 pm

Joe Iacovelli wrote:Hey Dave,

Why don't you start a new topic. We can have the Farm and Antrim as part of the series and track points for them along with all the outlaws. If there are points involved, you can count on Rick Floyd being there :-)

Joe
I know Joe won't believe this, 'cause you know I am the ONLY person in the entire world that actually cares about all that points and divisions that the ISSA uses - they do it ALL for me personally, which I greatly appreciate - but I'd rather see a non-points NE outlaw series separate from the ISSA events (Farm / Antrim). Summit after/during a Sunday skates sounds good.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:53 pm

Rick Floyd wrote:
Joe Iacovelli wrote:Hey Dave,

Joe
I know Joe won't believe this, 'cause you know I am the ONLY person in the entire world that actually cares about all that points and divisions that the ISSA uses - they do it ALL for me personally, which I greatly appreciate - but I'd rather see a non-points NE outlaw series separate from the ISSA events (Farm / Antrim). Summit after/during a Sunday skates sounds good.
That's kinda what I was suggesting Ricky Bobby. We've done it in the past with the Farm. A seperate series with simple 1-2-3 points structure for fun. Winners gets a bowl of soup or a sleeve of golfballs.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:20 am

Sorry guys I'm still gittin my Edukatin done here, can't run a contest this year, but the fells is great practice spot!
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:40 am

Why do I feel like I'm about to sit down for dinner at the Bundy house? (Al and Peg, not Ted)

Let's all chat soon.

Let's get past Easter (we could skate it, but I suspect a lot of people have real "plans" - I'll try to get a skate in this Saturday with the crew who can do it, Easter Sunday also with the true heathens among us - it's going to be pretty nice out!)

Summit Dates: Who can do April 11, or 18, or 25? Maybe the later the better to allow some time to recruit other unsuspecting hosts?

Let me know what you guys think about dates.

Anyone reading this is encouraged to introduce, chime in, throw an idea out.

Hopefully we'll meet on or by - the 25th?

dk

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:44 am

Karl Floitgraf wrote:Sorry guys I'm still gittin my Edukatin done here, can't run a contest this year, but the fells is great practice spot!
I think Boston / the Fells would be sort of a critical NE location..!

Who could we recruit for this one - CMC?

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:51 am

The most difficult thing with the fells is the parking situation. You absolutely need to have everyone meet somewhere else and ferry over to the spot. Jorre is in Malden next door and might be able to help with that stuff and I imagine I could guilt Bryan into running the skating aspect of it. Glenn Chapman would be the best person to get an opinion about what to do.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Dan Parrish

Post by Dan Parrish » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:03 am

Dave thanx for taking the initiative on this. I'm willing to risk my status with the neighbors with another race/barbeque at my place.

I'll do my best to make the Preliminary Executive Exploritory Race Planning Commission Meeting....

Can't make the 11th

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:28 pm

I will be unavailable on the 11th, but the 18th and 25th work for me. The Fells is a good practice jam spot but it would be hard to have a race there due to the parking situation. My practice spot has some issues, they moved a mounds of dirt and fill in there so I don't know what the long term plans for that area is. I will look around here for another spot.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm hoping to put a lot of my energy into getting a regional scene rock and rollin' this summer, no matter where it is. Ball Mtn., Antrim and Dr. Dan's are all possible...need to check with PSR on the Ball Mtn. surface, and see if an outlaw could be run at his other location (Lebanon?).

Dan - could you guys build another timer? If so, how much would it cost? Do we have a dual-lane timer in New England? We have a 5.5 foot high start ramp here in Burlington now, on a trailer.

The 4/25 weekend is the best for me (I'm in DC 4/16-4/19)...two days in Antrim that weekend maybe? Clinic/training/summit sort of thing?

I'm thinking three races, then an "NE Outlaw Champs" in the fall. All ramp starts, all three disciplines. Got some ideas for "exhibition" events two...and no Mr. I. that doesn't include removing your shorts.

I may be able to do an Antrim trip 4/10-11 too, just to ride.

When we have dinner, I want to sit next to Kelly Bundy.

-RF

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:52 pm

Rick Floyd wrote:When we have dinner, I want to sit next to Kelly Bundy.
I'm sure you will revise that "not removing shorts" part if that ever happens... :D

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:59 pm

Miguel Marco wrote:
Rick Floyd wrote:When we have dinner, I want to sit next to Kelly Bundy.
I'm sure you will revise that "not removing shorts" part if that ever happens... :D
That applies to Mr. Iacovelli only...unless he covers up with a cone.

Mig - entirely possible to have a QC event as part of this outlaw series too - if you guys think you can attend some down here and vice versa.

Maybe we should call it the "Southern Canada Outlaw Series"

-R

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:53 pm

Hey, just to keep the ball rolling, nice introduction! David GW has joined the Antrim crew several times for training sessions this Summer and came up to RACE and take home a prize in the 2010 Can Am International. How cool is that?

Glad to have you aboard David!

I suspect the Boston scene is glowing again, Lindsey is there now, Oliver, Glenn's not far away... they couldn't make the Sunday Skate up here because they're "skating in Boston" - weak excuse, but well, hey - that's GREAT!

If anyone is thinking about trying this sport, hit us up. Boston or Antrim 03440, you'll meet some guys who will loan you stuff and give you tips and start you off right.

Practice starts now for the 2011 races!

PM me your email to get on my skater's list.

Miguel Marco

Re: Intro from Boston

Post by Miguel Marco » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:45 am

Glenn, Dr. Dan, DGW, CMC, Lindsay... anyone in the Boston area. You guys should have a look at this. Some interest in your area:

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/f ... oston.html

Dave Kirkpatrick

Re: Intro from Boston

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks Mig, I'm on it!!