Cheap Timer

Timing System

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Mark Keller

Cheap Timer

Post by Mark Keller » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:00 am

I have just picked up this cheap lap timer via US Ebay for only $65US. http://www.sumomoto.com/ezlap_lap_timer.htm After a couple of tests it seems to work perfectly and is compatible with other lap timing beacons. See http://www.skateboardracing.org.au/grou ... heap-timer for my review links and pics.

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:08 am

Nice find!!!

Looks like I might actually be able to afford a timer finally....

josé fuentevilla

Post by josé fuentevilla » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:30 am

great find mate !!!, searched for a U.S. seller but only find this one , says U.S. $ 4 for the shipping to chile, way to cheap to be real, but the seller have good feedback maybe i`ll take the chances and order one, thanks
* Devoto de una Mala Religion *
Axe Army Chile

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:46 pm

(from the sumomoto website)

The Lap Timer (Receiver):
<UP>: The LCD shows one lap backward;
<DOWN>: The LCD shows one lap forward;
<SUM>: Summary; Slowest lap time, fastest lap time, Total time and average lap time;

Mark, does the timer ONLY remember one "lap" backward and forward? Or does it remember more than that, and you just keep pressing the <UP> or <DOWN> button to get to it? If it remembers a whole bunch, then it definitely sounds like a good deal.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:58 pm

Jonathan Harms wrote:(from the sumomoto website)

The Lap Timer (Receiver):
<UP>: The LCD shows one lap backward;
<DOWN>: The LCD shows one lap forward;
<SUM>: Summary; Slowest lap time, fastest lap time, Total time and average lap time;

Mark, does the timer ONLY remember one "lap" backward and forward? Or does it remember more than that, and you just keep pressing the <UP> or <DOWN> button to get to it? If it remembers a whole bunch, then it definitely sounds like a good deal.
If it only remembers one then it's a good deal.

Many centuries ago during the time of the Pharoahs there was the discovery of putting pencil to paper. Down through the ages this time-honored craft continues to make an indelible mark on human civilization.

Well, actually delibe if someone remembers to bring along an eraser.

Just sayin' . . . .

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:44 pm

Max lap to record: 64 laps;
Looks like 64 laps can be recorded ..... RTFM

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:12 pm

I did R most of TFM but somehow missed that. A pox upon me for a simpleton.

Mark Keller

Post by Mark Keller » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:20 am

Yeah it does multiple laps - after one run I am in lap 2 and I just press a button to go back and look at lap 1 which is my point to point time. If you had multiple beacons you could work out sector times too.

The only real limitation is the 7 sec minimum retrigger time (not adjustable as with some more expensive systems).

Not for timing the world championships but has added a whole new element to my solo slalom practice.

I think this is a prototype before they release the shrink wrapped version. In the instructions they also mention a "laser pointer" which it doesn't seem to have (unless it's an infra red laser pointer and I can't see it!).

Steve Pederson
Steve
Steve

Post by Steve Pederson » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:02 am

Thanks for the heads up. The timer works!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:54 am

Steve Pederson wrote:Thanks for the heads up. The timer works!
Steve,

Did you get some Velcro tape so you can move it from board to board?

Steve Pederson
Steve
Steve

Post by Steve Pederson » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:10 am

Yes. Industrial Strength 2" wide Velcro so it holds well yet is easy to move from board to board. The timer makes practice more fun.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:08 pm

Someone please explain this to me.

It's a lap timer. Meaning pass the beam and start the clock, pass the beam and stop the clock.

Correct?

The price is the timer and two IR boxes. Is this correct?

Do I need to purchase two more boxes to make it work for slalom? One pair at the top of the hill, one pair at the bottom?

Or will a single box transmit an IR signal the timer receives when it passes?

Also, the website shows the timer in a plastic display box for shipping. I see one timer and one box. Or is there two boxed in the case stacked together?

It looks like a great cheap system. Just checking what I need to buy so it works when received.

Thanks.

Steve Pederson
Steve
Steve

Post by Steve Pederson » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:Someone please explain this to me.

It's a lap timer. Meaning pass the beam and start the clock, pass the beam and stop the clock.

Correct?
Correct.
Wesley Tucker wrote:
The price is the timer and two IR boxes. Is this correct?
When I ordered there were a few ebay ads. one that sells one timer and one beacon.
another ad sells a pack of five.
another ad sells just the timer.
another sells just the beacon.

For one person practicing slalom, you want one timer and two beacons.

one beacon at the start and one at the finish. other skaters practicing with you can put their own timer on their boards and you can all use the same beacons.

Ride past the beacon and it triggers the timer.
Wesley Tucker wrote: Also, the website shows the timer in a plastic display box for shipping. I see one timer and one box. Or is there two boxed in the case stacked together?
I ordered the timer with one beacon and then placed an order for one extra beacon. shipping may take a month or you can pay extra for faster DHL shipping. DHL shipping arrived in about 5 days. everything arrived in a small cardboard box. -- no plastic display box. place the two ebay orders and then paypal extra money for DHL shipping and include a note that you placed two orders. It worked for me.

Get several timers and this could be a good timing solution for a small outlaw race.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks, Steve. It makes sense now.

The box transmits an IR signal across the road.

A stopped timer passes a box and starts.
A running timer passes a box and stops.

Two boxes will suffice for one lane.
Four boxes will work for dual lane but without a common start. Just two racers start, elapsed time minus penalty. Just like we used to do it before more advanced Trak Mates.

Bring two timers and a roll of Velcro for everyone's board and VOILA! Instant outlaw timing.

Another instant advantage about this system is a course can be of infinite length, not limited by the available cable or even IR line-of-sight. A box at each end does the trick no matter the distance between ends.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Ordered mine.

Went ahead and got two timers and two boxes for $90.00.

Got to go buy some Velcro at the Home Depot and that'll be that.

Then wait a couple of weeks. I did not spring for the extra shipping.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:57 pm

Got here today. 20 days shipping. Was surprised to see it ships with pieces of Velcro. Cool.

Need batteries.

Three weeks from Singapore shipped by Registered Mail. Not bad.

Mark Keller

Post by Mark Keller » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:33 am

Hey I got ripped off! I didn't get no free velcro!

I tested mine at a dedicated timed slalom day and was able to compare it to the ASRAs (http://www.skateboardracing.org.au/) new very expensive Tag Heuer IR timing system.

My timer worked faultlessly all day (so far batteries have lasted for 5 or 6 sessions) and was consistently about 0.3 to 0.5 Sec faster than the official time. I put this difference down to the fact that my beacons were slightly inside the official IR beams and the fact that my beacons broadcast a "cone" of signal rather than a sharp beam making my course even shorter than it looked. All up it is a good accurate piece of kit. I might buy another just to have a spare and share around at sessions.

It is great to be able to jump off you board and instantly get a time and associate that time with how you thought you went and where you might go better etc. Also I was able to time all my runs even those before the official timer was up and running.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:24 am

I just ordered a family-pack for us here in G-burg, and after payment I got a strange mail from DHL (miss-spelled and really looking weird).
There was an attached file with tracking-numbers and info, but my comp-security hated that and ripped it to pieces.
It sounds like you all got what you ordered, so maybe no worries?
Or did I just got ripped off?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:15 pm

Robo,

I don't know what to tell you. I received no e-mails after ordering except a confirmation of receipt for my payment from eBay through PayPal. Twenty days later I got a little box delivered registered U.S. mail I had to sign for to receive.

I don't know that the e-mail you received from DHL is in anyway connected to the company in Shanghai.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:18 pm

It's probably just a spam email that arrived at a moment when you expected a letter. Just forget about it. Normally you don't have to respond, or act upon, any emails that are sent by carriers.

/Jani

Guillaume Saint-Criq

Post by Guillaume Saint-Criq » Thu May 05, 2011 6:45 pm

just ordered mine!
i will make a review on FSSA website as soon as i get it...
can't wait !

Ricardo Damborenea

Post by Ricardo Damborenea » Sun May 08, 2011 9:20 pm

We already received this friday 24 timer and 36 beacons for Madrid riders. Ultra cheap price given size of order (23eur for 2 beacons + 1 timer). Tests on the way...
Skate Hard While You Can

www.40sk8.com www.mossclub.es

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Mon May 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Got mine today!!! 6 workdays.....pretty good!

Sj Kalliokoski

Post by Sj Kalliokoski » Mon May 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Sounds interesting, but has somebody managed to make proper combination to official timer. I'm not so interested does it show some tenths too much or so but how constant that difference is. My worry is that if it more than 0.2 secs then this is not for my purpose.
-pokkis

Ricardo Damborenea

Post by Ricardo Damborenea » Mon May 09, 2011 9:05 pm

This is just for training purposes. Not supposed to be used for competition. Stated accuracy is 0.0035sec. Set up is 0 seconds. You can use it when you skate alone. No pc required. It all fits in your pocket and cost is meaninglesss.
Skate Hard While You Can

www.40sk8.com www.mossclub.es

Mark Keller

Post by Mark Keller » Tue May 10, 2011 6:34 am

See my above post.

In my comparisom with the Tag Heur timer it was very consistent. I could look at my timer, subtract 0.4 or 0.5 and accurately predict my official time. I think accuracy is down to the beacons as they shoot out a cone shapped :) trigger beam so the intensity of the beam would gradually increase as the board passes it until the timer is triggered. So then the exact position where the timer is triggered would vary a little from run to run.

For head to head I can't see it working too well as exact positioning of the 4 beacons would be difficult and I recon the beacons would vary one to another and if the batteries are a little flat etc. I suppose it could work if each racer ran both lanes and the winner was determined by a combined time.

But really, it's cheap, it works, it's good!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue May 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Mark,

Only two beacons are needed for head to head just like single lane. But there will be a need for two timers.

Back in the old days of dinosaurs and when the oil was young TrakMate did not do anything except measure tape-to-tape times - no tone, no independent start, no false start. Just hit the tape, start, hit the tape, stop. It was like every race was a qualifying run. Then we would compare times and the low one advanced.

Same thing with this system. Beacon at the top, beacon at the bottom. Both racers go. Timers start, timers stop, turn over the boards for times, count the cones, low time advances.

The beacons will activate both timers and have the range to activate the timer in the "far" lane. Even if the two skaters are in the front of the beacon at the same time one will not interfere with the far timer. The beauty of infrared.

Of course, if it's VERY CLOSE racing, the margin of error could make for some interesting discussions about who really had the fast time.

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Fri May 13, 2011 11:17 pm

So I've finally had a chance to play with my timer for more than 2 minutes.

Question for those who have used them:

Do you store multiple times during your sessions, or reset the timer after each lap through the course?

Or in other words, when I start my run, the beacon at the top of the course "starts" the timer, and the beacon at the bottom of the course "stops" the timer. But it doesn't really stop the timer, it records the time of my first "lap", then begins timing my second "lap", which in my case, my second "lap" is my walk back to the start of my course.

So are you guys recording multiple times, knowing that every other time recorded is your actual "course-time" and the other times are walk-to-start, rest, chat-with-bro's, talk-shop, drink-beer times?

Or are you resetting the timer before beginning each run?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat May 14, 2011 12:26 am

I pick up my board, put my glove over the timer and walk behind the transmitter.

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Sat May 14, 2011 2:04 am

Wesley Tucker wrote:I pick up my board, put my glove over the timer and walk behind the transmitter.

And that stops the timer from recording the time for "lap 2" ? ? ? ?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat May 14, 2011 2:34 am

Curt Chapman wrote:
Wesley Tucker wrote:I pick up my board, put my glove over the timer and walk behind the transmitter.

Does on mine. IR is line of sight. If the receiver doesn't see the transmitter (or vice versa) then there's no activation.

Just be sure to do it to both transmitters at both the top and bottom.

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Sat May 14, 2011 5:17 am

Curt Chapman wrote:

It does not, Curt. If you hide the receiver on the way up, "Lap 2" will be from the moment you pass the bottom beacon until you pass the top one again on your next run. Then "Lap 3" starts, which is really your 2nd run. Like you said, every other lap is a real run. The very "long" laps in between are the walks back up the hill.

Once started on your first run the timer will run until you hit the CLR key. And you need to hit that same key to check your previous times with the UP and DOWN keys. Also, your lap time will be displayed for 10 seconds after passing the bottom beacon. If you stop fast enough or install the timer/receiver between the nose of you board and your foot-stop (if you use one), you'll be able to check your time as soon as you cross the bottom beacon just by looking down.

Anyone found a way to re-activate the receiver once the CLR key has been pressed to stop the timer to check the recorded times? Except for pushing it for 2 seconds and losing all recorded times, of course...

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Sat May 14, 2011 5:35 am

Thanks Mig. We're on the same page...

Wes, have you actually used your timer on the hill yet?

WAYNE HUMPHRYS

Post by WAYNE HUMPHRYS » Sat May 14, 2011 10:04 am

Did you guys all buy from this ebay seller, Member id dragonwelltea2010,
or have you bought from other sellers?
Check the oz skate scene at,
http://www.skateboardracing.org.au/

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat May 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Curt Chapman wrote:Thanks Mig. We're on the same page...

Wes, have you actually used your timer on the hill yet?
Yes.

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Sat May 14, 2011 2:55 pm

WAYNE HUMPHRYS wrote:Did you guys all buy from this ebay seller, Member id dragonwelltea2010
That's who I got mine from.

Mark Keller

Post by Mark Keller » Mon May 16, 2011 2:15 am

I've not found a way to look at lap one without resetting the timer. I usually finish my run press the clr button (for less than 2 sec) check my time walk back up the hill and reset before my next run. If im really keen to save the time I take a picture with my iphone.

I like the idea of every other run being a timed run, seems like that would work pretty well to store a days worth of runs.

BTW I used my beacons for 2 or 3 hours on a cold Melbourne night and the batteries ran down to the point that the red led was no longer glowing, however the IR signal kept going and the timer was still working flawlessly at the end of the night. Total beacon time I would estimate as about 8 to 10 hours on good quality batteries.

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Mon May 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Just an FYI: Tried the timer with AiM beacons over the weekend, and mine DOES NOT work with them.

(They claim that these timers should work with other manufacturer's beacons, but my experience says no...)

Mark Keller

Post by Mark Keller » Tue May 17, 2011 2:08 am

That is disappointing that it wont work with standard beacons. I 'm sure you did remember this but you need to face the little receiver window to the beacons (something i keep forgetting to do sometimes). More expensive receivers seem to have a IR window on each side of the timer.

I wonder it it works the other way with other timers being triggered with this beacon?

Weirdly I noticed that my IR headphone transmitter triggers my timer!

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Tue May 17, 2011 2:48 am

Mark Keller wrote:That is disappointing that it wont work with standard beacons. I 'm sure you did remember this but you need to face the little receiver window to the beacons (something i keep forgetting to do sometimes).
Nope, reciever window on the wrong side wasn't the issue. Tried a couple of runs with just the AiM beacons with no luck, then set the EZlap beacons right next to the AiM beacons, and viola!

josé fuentevilla

Post by josé fuentevilla » Wed May 18, 2011 1:41 am

got mine too, it came with velcro so i didn't get rip off = ) , excited!!!!
took a little more than a month to get to chile
Axe Army Chile

Sj Kalliokoski

Post by Sj Kalliokoski » Wed May 18, 2011 7:52 pm

I ordered few last wednesday and they asked my address on Thursday and clocks were on my door on this Monday here in Finland.
Tested them today practice session against Tarckmate.
Setup:
- tarck for bout 10 seconds
- beacons were setup as accurate as possible over timing strips used by Trackmate
- had 2 clocks on my board on same position
Result:
Management summary: they work very good for practice session
Long story:
- i saw some differences between two clocks, even they were exactly in same position but it was just few hundreds
- i saw some variation to both directions against reference times of Trackmate with strips, but again just few hundreds
- this system is really easy and fast to setup

Conclusion for me is that this is very easy and good clock for practice sessions for lonely guy(s) to follow and measure results. But notice is that this can not be used for slalom racing, so note that if you have bigger group, it might make more sense to get device which can be used also for racing. But for lonely soldiers this is must to get.
Note that there is some hundreds variation with times, including between clocks, so as long times differ clearly, this is not problem.
Final reward is Recommended ;)
-pokkis

Curt Chapman

Re: Cheap Timer

Post by Curt Chapman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:59 pm

So how's this for geeky:

I noticed that when using my Ezlap timer, when I spray all of the cones at the bottom of the course, at least one of those cones tends to nail the "stop" beacon...

So I bought a couple of "traffic" cones, and put velcro on the base of the cones, and the beacons. Attach the beacon on the downside of the traffic cone, and it no longer gets nailed by flying slalom cones. Also, if the traffic cone gets knocked over, the beacon stays attached and is protected.
BeaconCone-.JPG
Beacon cone
BeaconCone-.JPG (68.26 KiB) Viewed 64688 times
BeaconCone.JPG
Beacon cone
BeaconCone.JPG (100.32 KiB) Viewed 64688 times

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:26 pm

Wow, they put "Skateboard" on the package. How did they come to the conclusion this product could be used for skateboarding?

/Jani

josé fuentevilla

Post by josé fuentevilla » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:47 am

and what´s the deal with the cord attached to the timer ¿?
Axe Army Chile

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:44 am

I bet they actually did a bit of research - or at least paid attention to forums like this - to decide on including "Skateboard" on the label.

The cord is more suitable for motorcycles, go-karts or other vehicles, where sometimes the sensor works best when positioned away from the display. (The sensor is located at the end of the cord.)

Some of the eBay sellers will sell you the version without the cord. You just have to ask them. (That's what I did.)

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:43 pm

The only way this packaged timer will work for slalom skateboard racing is to buy TWO. This set up is for lap timing. Only need one course beacon. Slalom requires two beacons, one at the top and one at the bottom of the course.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:51 pm

Wesley is correct about the packaged timer in Duca Suzu's post. To use it for slalom, you need to buy an extra beacon.

For me, that was very easy to do. Before I bought my timer (from eBay seller "dragonwarrier2012"), I emailed to ask if I could also buy an extra beacon at the same time, and if they still sold the cordless version. The seller replied within one day and answered yes to both questions. So I ordered one cordless receiver/beacon combo plus one extra beacon for a total cost of $50.00. I chose the standard (free) shipping, as I was not in a hurry.

The timer arrived within about 10 days, maybe less. At first I was bummed because I only received one small box. I wondered when the box with the other part(s) would arrive. Then I actually opened the box, and all three pieces were in it! I was shocked at how small it was - all three pieces together were barely larger than a pack of playing cards.

I have not yet tried to see whether mine will work with my AIM beacons. The seller's ad says it will ("This timer is compatible with AIM and XT beacon!"), but based on others' feedback here, I'm guessing it won't. Perhaps by "compatible with," they only mean something like "can exist in the same universe as." Frankly, I don't really care even if my AIM beacons don't work with this timer, as they're bigger and clunkier (literally, the battery in one of them clunks around when you pick up the unit) and they drain batteries at about the same rate as the EZ Lap.

My only other concern/question is whether there's any performance difference between the corded and cordless receivers. One ad may be saying the two are the same ("Exactly the same as Ezlap except that the IR-eye is on the extension cord") while another may be saying they're a bit different (" ... exactly the same system as UltraLap Mini but with completely new design and workmanship"). It's probably the former; I think the "completely new design" is that the new one has a cord. ;-)

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:26 pm

When I got mine I went ahead and sprang for two timers and four beacons. That allows quick and easy dual racing although there is no common start. Sort of like the old days with the Trak Mate. I went to Lowe's and got a short roll of Velcro tape and cut several pieces. Using half I put the tape on several boards. So the timers can just move from board to board with no problem. If I ever did race someone with these (which I have not yet,) I have more velcro in my skate box. Just stick it on any board right behind the front truck and VOILA! good to go.