Compact cordless screwdriver

Bushings - Pivots - Speed Rings - Traction etc

Moderator: Henry Julier

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Compact cordless screwdriver

Post by Jonathan Harms » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:10 pm

If you have a Home Depot store in your area (North American riders, I imagine), this cordless screwdriver is a really nice tool to have. It's lightweight (weighs about a pound) and makes changing trucks super-easy - much easier and quicker than the ol' skate wrench(es) alone - and it charges quickly and holds a charge for a long time. I bought mine for $40 a couple of years ago and really like it. They've now lowered the price to $30. Nice tool if you travel to races and/or like to make those quickie changes.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware ... ogId=10053

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Re: Compact cordless screwdriver

Post by Donald Campbell » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:38 pm

power tools are not ecommended when assembling any board jonathan...

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Bah! I disagree. Sure, I wouldn't use a massive power drill***, but a small screwdriver like this poses no danger. It doesn't have enough torque to do much damage, even to a foamcore board. But it's still much faster than using just a skate tool or even a ratchet.

***Actually, on a board with wood inserts in the mounting areas, you could indeed use a massive power drill if you so desire. I wonder who might make boards like that? ;-)

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:37 pm

even on a board with wood inserts a power drill will cause massive destruction.
how about a good ratchet? if you are just a bit skilled this thing is fast as f#@k and you can feel how hard you want to go into
the board.
power drills=no go
i have worked long enough in the industry to know that-actually people who sell wooden decks gave that advice and they are absolutely right.
there go your wood inserts!

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:13 pm

All you have to do is set the "torque" setting correctly on any power screwdriver / drill, and then there is no chance of causing damage.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:12 am

curt you are right about the settings,but you also know how many folks out there possess two left hands!

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Exactly, Donald. (And thanks, Curt.) Hence my original point that this tool is a fine little device for those who want to change their setup both quickly and easily (faster than hand tools alone, in my experience -- and yes, I include ratchets in that group), and my subsequent point that this tool can do so with little or no risk of damage, even to boards that may require more-careful handling. No offense intended to those who choose to use some other kind(s) of tool(s); rather a simple recommendation for those who might be interested in trying something different.

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:01 pm

Donald Campbell wrote:curt you are right about the settings,but you also know how many folks out there possess two left hands!
Folks with two left hands should not be allowed to purchase a Pavel.

JOKING!!! Only joking... ;)

EVERYONE should own a Pavel. (Or maybe two...)

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:24 am

I use one of these:

$9, four AA batteries, auto/manual option, reverse. Works great and if it gets lost go get another one for the price of a 12-pack.