Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Gilmour, John - USA

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:04 pm

John Gilmour - USA

Year of birth 1963
Skateboarding since 1974

2002-2003 World Longboard Slalom Champion 36" 1st, 42" slalom 1st, 42" slalom Masters 1st, Shortboard slalom 1st
2003 "da Farm 3.0" East Coast slalom race TS 1st, GS 1st
2003 Paris World Cup special slalom 4th, Parallel slalom 2nd
2002 FCR Series Breckenridge GS 1st, Catalina Classic TS 2nd
2002 "da Farm 2.0" East Coast slalom race TS 1st, GS 1st
2002 Morro Bay World Championships 5th place
2001 "da Farm 1.0" East Coast slalom race TS 1st, GS 1st
2001 Morro Bay World Championships 4th place
2001 Cambria Race Dual Tight slalom 1st
2000 WLAC GS 1st place, TS 1st, Longboard GS 1st
1995 Verrieres Open Slalom Skateboard GS 3rd
1993 Les Jeux Pyreneens de l'Aventure (sponsored by the French and Spanish Olympic Committees) Silver Medalist Downhill Skateboarding

Factory Team : Roe Racing.
Regional team: Northern Racing Alliance

Sponsors: Pleasure Tool Bearings

Other Interesting facts

I learned to skateboard in my basement in Manhattan. I snowboard much better than I skateboard, yet I'm not an athlete. I like going really really fast- and hanging out with my Honduran Wood turtle, Walker. I prefer slalom skateboard racing to street legal Autoracing because it gives me a more intense rush. For cash I design high end sound systems and I sell outsourcing services to hospitals to help Doctors work easier.

Favorite skaters to watch: Steve Olson that unique freaky stand up fast ankle style, Gary Fluitt- the $6 Million dollar man- always on the edge of disaster-constantly being rebuilt, Jani Soderhall for his ripping of asphalt sound while he skates, Sergio Yuppie- fearless, Bobby Piercy, Luca Gianmarco, Simon Levene- King of acceleration, Kenny "Bulldog" Mollica in GS, Wesley Tucker- parallel slalom, Noah Heinle on a GS course on heelsides, Chris Stepanek for textbook form, Troy Smart in TS on his good days during practice, Vlad Popov whether he is skating or not- unbelieveably good skater in a short period of time.

Most memorable moments in skating:
Winning the Longboard Slalom 2002-2003 World Championship. Winning the Silver Medal at the Olympic sponsored event. Racing Kenny Mollica at La Costa 2002 (almost... for money within an event). Helping Bob Turner make boards again-seeing Bob Turner smiling all covered with foam and fiberglass dust. The shock about the death of Bob Turner (my mentor and great friend) during the first race of the FCR 2002 Season. Winning the GS Event at Breckenridge with Terence Kirby. Helping to contribute to the advancement of the sport through new Roe Shapes, better trucks and wheels. Sweeping the November 2000 WLAC Slalom Nationals event and giving this slalom sport the much needed kick in the butt to get it going again. Watching slalom slowly become appreciated for all the fun it really is.

[ This Message was edited by: John Gilmour on 2003-08-12 09:10 ]
Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:25 am

John, my little Elijah wants a turtle. Can you gather some information and send it my way? I'll delete this post then.

Thanks,

adam

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:52 am

Hey, what kind of a zoo is this?

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:03 am

First John and now a turtle. :razz:

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'll sleep well on that one.)

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:09 am

I have a Honduran Wood Turtle. Fed him today- stuffed him with about a 1/2 pound of cantalope. The turtle is so cool- he waited until I put him down in his place to immediately go to the bathroom- toilet trained himself.

But in terms of getting a turtle for a child, think of it as getting it for yourself and lettting your kid have access.

The wood turtles are really very expressive and responsive to people- and very funny, adventurers. They aren't like many other turtles. Unfortunately because their habitat is being destroyed and partly because they make such great pets North American Wood turtles are endangered- but if you are willing, you may purchase ones raised in capitivy and breed them yourselves and release a few of the young into the wild.

One of my wood turtles was inadvertantly released into the wild by a confused spanish girl at a party... sigh.

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:29 am

John, I am a keeper of several water turtles and I wrote the same to Adam regarding getting a turtle for a child.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:43 pm

On one strange note.

My friend Alex Scott- a slalomer- his girlfriend, Wendy Chow has two turtles she has to give up. I suppose I could bring them out to you.

You can contact him at.

Alexanderscott.com

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:45 am

I just discovered this site today. Have you been there?

http://www.johnjohnjohnjohn.com

John, Are you ready to race in Paris again?

/Jani

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Walker RIP

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:13 am

Sadly, my turtle, Walker, passed away after a trip to the Virgin Islands. He spent his last few days basking in the Sun in St. John and swimming next to me while I rehabbed my leg (partial weight bearing after my surgery on Jan 30th 2006). He had some Cancer that he couldn't shake. He was so weak during the flight down there I wasn't sure he was even going to make it. He was very excited to get off the plane when we got there (he knows where he's landed- loves the Virgin Islands)- His legs were kicking wildly after we landed to get some of that Caribbean sun.

He used to go scuba diving with me- swimming freely on his own but always staying within about 20-30 feet of me. This time he was too weak for doing anything other than swimming on the surface while I walked in the water. He had a nice week, ate fresh fruits, nibbled on Hibiscus. He slipped into a coma on the Ferry boat ride back to St. Thomas, and I wasn't sure he was going to make it. He keep losing consciousness and regaining it. His eyes bulging from high bloodpressure.

When we got to the airport he could smell the exhaust and hear the noise of the jet planes. He knew his vacation was over. While I was waiting for check-in, He gave me one last look and flicked his paws and he checked out- his little eyes sunk into his head when his heart stopped and he was gone.

23 years with the little fella. I always figured he would outlive me.

Luckily The local Virgin Islands US customs offical was too lazy to take a close look at him so i was able to bring him back home.

Jani, I had high hopes of returning to race. I had full range of motion in my knee with the hardware in it- after many months of stretching- I was even able to go running along the beach in the Hamptons. I figured it would be much more comfortable with the hardware removed. So I had that surgery, removed the plate and 5 screws, and it was much better Almost immediately I had near full range of motion- for certain I thought I would be better. I even started putting together thoughts on a new set of boards.

My greatest goal was to still be racing when Skateboard Slalom made it into the Olympics and to train hard and take home a Gold for the USA. I do think skateboarding will make it into the Games- and soon. Let's face it, snowboarding is 1/2 the age of skateboarding and has about 1/10th as many participants. It's not IF skateboarding will get in...Its WHEN, and slalom despite being a smaller segment of the market, will make it because it is easy to judge racing. Snowboard Parallel Giant Slalom is even smaller than skateboard slalom in terms of participants as a percentage of riders. So there is no reason to not expect it to get in.

I will be happy to be an announcer however. I tried a few runs in the Vintage race at the last Farm Race and my knee was the size of a Honey Dew melon a day later. Snowboard racing is also completly out of the picture. I can only carve at about 1/2 speed and have to do it extremely carefully on groomed soft slopes only- no choppy snow to jar my knees. Teleboarding- well I thought for sure I would win the next World Championship- but that is even more out of the picture due to the forces exerted.

I still design gear, but what was a great combo of being able to design gear AND test the gear to the limits. Is gone. I've been pretty discouraged about the whole knee thing and I'm at least 1200 posts behind on NCDSA and haven't logged onto Bomberonline much all winter. I've been pretty unbearable to be around- most of my time has been spent alone.

It's not as much fun following the racing when you can't look forward to doing it.
Last edited by John Gilmour on Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Re: Walker RIP

Post by Etienne de Bary » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:01 am

John Gilmour wrote:I do think skateboarding will make it into the Games- and soon. Let's face it, snowboarding is 1/2 the age of skateboarding and has about 1/10th as many participants. It's not IF skateboarding will get in...Its WHEN, and slalom despite being a smaller segment of the market, will make it because it is easy to judge racing. Snowboard Parallel Giant Slalom is even smaller than skateboard slalom in terms of participants as a percentage of riders. So there is no reason to not expect it to get in.
Hi John, we're missing you here at each PSWCs...
2 things i'd like to tell you:
- you should first cure your stuff completely and not practice sports, take the time it takes, then decide what you can and can't do.
- i had the same thoughts as you watching the olympic games during my snow holidays: how many people do practice ski jump, skeleton or bobsleight on this planet ? i bet their rankings are not longer than 50 lines... So maybe this is the challenge your remarkable diplomatic skills deserve, i'd say you're the perfect missionary for this campaign.

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:42 pm

john,dont give hope yet,how about the shaun palmer story,qualifies for the us downhill team and rips his achilles before the olympics,after a life and death battle with addiction.he says he will go for it,at age 41,and i believe he can do it.
this is a guy who has also qualified for a 125cc mx main event and pretty much owned downhill mountain bike in the late nineties,also and huge early snowboard halfpipe and innovator of boardercross.dont give in yet.cf
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:33 pm

Damn, JG, that's terrible.

So, how is the Mercedes? Please tell us you were damned lucked and driving somebody else's car.

(Hey, I gotta keep everything in perspective. After all, you got TWO knees, but only one hot rod.)

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:40 pm

JG,

Man I know how you feel, it's been three years since I completely broke my tib/fib by getting hit by a car a few days after your july 4th race. I am beginning to fear now that no matter how much I work I may never achieve my life slalom goal of breaking into the pro class because I'm not sure my leg is up to it. Although I might just suck, I swear my leg isn't helping.

John somehow you were right, your 'strategy' of not training us a lot is the reason we branched out to train others and the whole high school club got started.

I wasn't even going to bring a PA system, can't wait untill may.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Silver Jet damaged.

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:39 pm

I see a Chriopractor for the head and spine whenever I can fit it in my ridiculously hectic rehab schedule. PT for the knee and back starts in a week 5 days a week. i'll be lucky if I can keep my job- being a grouch from this already cost me. I know how Palmer feels.
I always thought I would hit a guardrail downhilling on a skateboard that would end my career, not a woman in a SUV the size of a small tank. You know, skateboarding was one of the safest sports I ever did. The worst injuries I sustained was a sprained wrist and skinned knees. And I've been riding since I was 10.
Last edited by John Gilmour on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
john gilmour

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:04 pm

... man! ouch, wish i could help...

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:32 pm

Wow.

I can't even begin to address all that. But I will say that you have been a tremendous proponent of the sport and it is my honor to have met you. You have inspired many of us to better ourselves in our racing. And on top of all that, you're a swell guy, Johnny!

I have no great insights for ya', just all the best wishes I can muster for both you and the Benz.
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:05 pm

Damn, John. Just...plain...damn. I'm very sorry about your losses. All of them.

With deepest sympathy,
Jonathan

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Ahhh Independence Pass.

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:22 am

I downhilled Independence pass near Aspen Colorado last Sunday. two runs in each direction. Held the tuck for over 1 hour... man my quads are toast...incinerated..

By sheer coincidence a professional film crew was passing with a large format movie camera mounted in the rear of the truck sandbagged tripod and all...

They filmed me shooting both sides of the pass. I started slaloming again... and I now have 3 new young turtles that are a blast..
john gilmour

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:36 pm

OK !
there is no more Trocadero Grand Prix for you to win, but there is still roads to ride !

;-) E

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

If Palmer gets Nailed, he will turn the hammer against them.

Post by John Gilmour » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:02 pm

Chris Favero wrote:john,dont give hope yet,how about the shaun palmer story,qualifies for the us downhill team and rips his achilles before the olympics,after a life and death battle with addiction.he says he will go for it,at age 41,and i believe he can do it.
this is a guy who has also qualified for a 125cc mx main event and pretty much owned downhill mountain bike in the late nineties,also and huge early snowboard halfpipe and innovator of boardercross.dont give in yet.cf
Palm is nice guy, I remember when I was the first Sales rep. for Sims snowboards on the East coast. He was a little kid like 12-13- and was called "mini-Shred"

The in the 1990s when Madd Snowboards won every editors pick in the snowboard test reports- Palmer Snowboards sent its R&D guys over to my booth pretending to be Buyers for shops to learn about why my boards were doing so well. (I don't think Palm sent them over- I think he would have just walked over himself, and asked)

BUt I am happy to see he is on the rooster ..I think currently B-Team. I don't think its the pressure that made him relapse in 2007..I think its the chicks... and alcohol... well Bode Miller says he skis lit sometimes.. I don't think Palm will.

http://skiing.teamusa.org/athletes/shaun-palmer

http://www.palmerproject.com/fileadmin/ ... Palmer.pdf

He has won just about everything Even the legendary Mt. Baker Banked slalom TWICE before he was 20! And those were in 1986 and 1987 , about 3 years after he started snowboarding (olympic article has it as 1985 but they are wrong)

Olympic Gold is the only thing eluding him...and I know he wants it...

Last I checked he was on the "b" team" but that will likely change as he powers through and wins a few more BX.
john gilmour

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Re: Gilmour, John - USA

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:41 am

Well everything healed yet again . I won the Aspen races two years I a row . Now I just need a new slalom deck that I like . And if there is t anything I like .... I’ll do what I always do and design something new .

Been carving around on these electric unicycles that have sound systems build in with brake lights, turn signals , horns etc . Chaput has 11 of them and got me into it . I’m riding a Kingsong 16x and really enjoying not having to walk up hills or destroy sneakers constantly while braking . A few more weeks of this and it’s time to start setting courses .
john gilmour